Input on best balance for EDC gift/1st timer

iso_bosie

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Was just turned onto LED flashlights a few days ago. Been reading like mad. Right now, I want to buy a small one for myself and one for a friend that just had a baby (she works late in New York City a lot). Defense would be a primary purpose for both me and her.

So . . . I want the best balance between lighting power, good throw and flood, disorienting strobe, even lighting, good heat dissipation, sturdiness, good price, the smaller the better.

I've looked at Jetbeams (concerns about construction), surefire (way too expensive), quarks (heat dissipation concerns?, brightness of light?).

The two I'm considering at the Fenix PD 20 and PD30 r4. I'm impressed that the current is regulated to produce a consistent light. PD20 seems to be a better size. I'd like expert input on the diff. between 180 lumens and 265 lumens. Are they both as blinding? It seems that the clickie switch on the PD30 is more accessible in a stress situation than the twist switch on the PD20.

Looking forward to your responses. thanks.

Would appreciate any other practical input.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights for use a defence is questionable. They will certainly let any would be assailant know that you're on the ball. However one would assume that you'd just carry a gun in N.Y. or at the least a tazer.

100 lumens with a good reflector can be quite blinding so the difference between 180-265 is neglegable.

If you want something to use as defence, get it with an assualt crown. Or better still, some good running shoes and a few running sessions each week.

Faking an epileptic fit is also a good option if you can't run.

KingCanada

Newly Enlightened
Check out the offering here... ET-USA

If you buy her something different than what you buy your self you're going to want them both!

joe1512

Enlightened
As mentioned, all a flashlight will do is give you a false sense of security. Use a tazer, zapper, or gun for self defense and use the light as a light.

I personally prefer the itp A series.
The A3 uses a AAA and is very lightweight with 2,18,80 lumens.

The A1 uses a CR123 (or rechargable) and has 3,30,200 lumens.

Those are both appropriate for keychain lights.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PD20 is also a clicky like the PD30 you may have been thinking of the twisty with the PD10. Surefire is expensive but well worth it you should look at the Surefire E2DL.

If you would like to stay in the Fenix price range you should definitely look at the Eagletac P20C2 MKII, 300 lumens. It is a well made light with a ton of light it's a light a carry daily right now.

http://www.eagletac-usa.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-4-6863

Last edited: