M@g 2C quad XPG

Hill

Enlightened
The newest mod to join my m@g collection. Several users (tx101 and ma_sha) have done m@g C triple XPG builds, so following suit, I wanted a similar build but running a quad XPG R5 light engine. The reflector/optic choices for best throw are limited. LXP RS seems to be the best, but four will not fit into a stock m@g head. I tried dremelling the inside of one head to squeeze them in. The end result look like sh*t , and worse of all, they still did not fit.:awman: Instead, I removed the optics and used them without the holders. Focus is not perfect, but pretty good. I'm working on custom holders to raise the optics ~1 mm higher to get the tightest beam.

2C Quad XPG R5 specs
Peweter M@g 2C
Custom heatsink
4x XPG R5 stars wired 2s2p
2.8A user configurable driver (set to 3-speed)
24g teflon wire
LXP RS optics
Bicycle inner tube grippy :cool:

Running with freshly charged 2 x IMR 26500 cells with Vin ~ 8V, I measured 2800 mA, 800 mA, and 100 mA at the tail. At max output, each emitter gets 1400 mA. Lux reading by ceiling bounce was 180 lux on high compared to 110 lux (6 x XRE Q5) and 210 lux (3 x MC-E). This is the newer version of user Download's driver which functions flawlessly and doesn't suffer from sporadic level switching caused by the self cleaning feature of the m@g C switch. The quad XPG R5 is significantly brighter then my 6 x XRE Q5 and has better throw then my 3 x MC-E. Overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out and love how it feels my hand.

Enough talking. Onto the pics….

DSCN0772.jpg

DSCN0777.jpg

DSCN0768.jpg

DSCN0623.jpg

DSCN0624.jpg

DSCN0625.jpg

DSCN0755.jpg

DSCN0754.jpg

DSCN0783.jpg

This is how I bored the body to accept IMR 26500 cells
DSCN0805.jpg

DSCN0806.jpg

DSCN0807.jpg

DSCN0810.jpg

DSCN0813.jpg

Beam shot below on high.
Fence is ~100 feet away, tree is ~200 feet away.
This torch throws pretty well with a huge hotspot and illuminates a good sized portion of the cemetery considering how far away it is.
The picture doesn't really do it justice. It's way brighter then it looks, I just have a crappy point and shoot camera.
:sigh:
DSCN0781.jpg

Thanks for looking. Comments always welcome.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice, I did try to fit 4 but couldn't do it. How are the optics being held over the led?
Are they just pressed down by the mag lens?

Now looking at your picture, I wonder if you could cut the holder into a "slice", just enough remains to hold the optics
and shim the led up to the right focus?

Last edited:

Hill

Enlightened
Optics are seated right on top of the emitters which does keep it from sliding around. Pressure from the lens holds it from the top, except my heatsink is not quite level so two of the optics move just a bit but not enough to be a problem.

I also thought about butchering the lends holders but decided it wasn't worth the effort and would most likely look like crap. I think someone here with a lathe could shave off enough metal to allow them to squeeze in, but there wouldn't be much material left for the threads. Sometime ago, a CPF user made delrin centering rings for the McR + Cree XRE combination. I think a holder like that which has a contoured interior that could mate with the LXP optic would do nicely. Again, it would require some precision machining which I (and I think you too) don't have the capacity to do.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice build :twothumbs

Especially the driver holder, was that something you made on a lathe ?

When I first started building multi emitter Mag mods, I posted a question
about how many McR19 reflectors would fit in a Mag head. Another
member Al Combs posted a link to his thread which had a formula to calculate
how many circles would fit into another larger circle. The Mag head has an ID
of 48.1mm so if you want to fit 4 reflectors or optics into a Mag head
they must be less than 19.9mm (my Math is sorely lacking, please correct
if wrong :D )

Here is the thread

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214111

===========================================

I have been planning a very similar build using a 32mm 4 x XPG board
and 8 degree optics. Im just waiting for the heatsink to be machined by
another member :popcorn:

Hill

Enlightened
Very nice build :twothumbs

Especially the driver holder, was that something you made on a lathe ?

When I first started building multi emitter Mag mods, I posted a question
about how many McR19 reflectors would fit in a Mag head. Another
member Al Combs posted a link to his thread which had a formula to calculate
how many circles would fit into another larger circle. The Mag head has an ID
of 48.1mm so if you want to fit 4 reflectors or optics into a Mag head
they must be less than 19.9mm (my Math is sorely lacking, please correct
if wrong :D )

Here is the thread

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214111
Thank you for your kind words!

I've used Al's formula many times and found it to be very helpful when figuring battery/reflector configurations. The LXP RS holders measure 21mm, so a 4x combo would require 50.7mm - just a hair too big for the head.

The driver holder is a PVC pipe sanded down on the inside to allow the driver to fit snugly in. The upper half is a delrin washer. Holes were cut to allow passage of wires.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ingenious .... your driver holder :thumbsup:

I am trying to figure out how to mount/heatsink a Maxflex for my
own build, but your 8 x AMC7135 board and holder looks like a better
option.

Would I be right in assuming that you bored out the Mag C yourself,
with a brake hone ?
I have a number of various different lengths of 26xxx cells that I am thinking
of using for my own build but I have yet to try boring out the Mag body
to fit the cells.
Can you give any tips on this ???

Hill

Enlightened

option.

with a brake hone ?
to fit the cells.

Sure, boring the magC for IMR 26500 fitment is not difficult. Only a small amount of material needs to be removed. I'll get a picture tonight and post tomorrow. I used a cordless drill with a drum sanding attachment and drill bit extender (purchased from Sears) to reach deeper into the body. It takes some patience, but only ~ 15-20 min to remove enough to allow passage of the 26500 cells. I've done several of these with no issues.

The driver is from user Download who gave me the tip of how to wire it. It can only handle 6V max, but wiring 2s2p allows the emitters to split the voltage so the driver does not burn out. Don't ask me how to explain that more, but somehow it works beautifully. I've used maxflex on another build with great success (before I cook it as well). You might want to check Maxflex specs for minimum Vin for a giving number of emitters. I think the input V has to be within 2V of the LED Vin, so maxflex does not get too hot. The great thing about Download's 2.8A driver solution for my mod is that no heatsinking is required.

Good luck.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool .... thanks for the boring tips :D

Next question :)

I read your posts in the "Reflectors for XPG" thread and the Ledil Regina
reflectors look ideal for a quad build. What happen to them, I cant find
any suppliers who have them. Have Ledil not released them yet ?

BTW ... I have ordered some Tina optics to try out, then when or if
I find Regina reflectors, use those instead

Hill

Enlightened
Cool .... thanks for the boring tips :D

Next question :)

I read your posts in the "Reflectors for XPG" thread and the Ledil Regina
reflectors look ideal for a quad build. What happen to them, I cant find
any suppliers who have them. Have Ledil not released them yet ?

I have been trying to locate those regina reflectors too. I called Ledil directly, who referred me to several US suppliers. I tried contacting them and came up empty. I would really like to try them too, but the supply seems very limited at this time. I think they have about the same beam angle as the LXP RS optics, but if I remember correctly, they were slightly narrow in diameter so 4 would fit without modification into a mag head. For now, it will have to be the LXP RS.

I had also ordered another set of optics - Tina xp I think. They were much smaller and I probably could have fit 5 into the mag. Beam was much more diffuse, so I didn't bother with them.

ergotelis

Enlightened
Guys i was searching for regina reflectors too, but in vain. I now ordered some c2h dereelight op xpg reflectors, directly from the company.Waiting for them to arrive, i am planning to use 4 in a mod mag.

Hill

Enlightened
Guys i was searching for regina reflectors too, but in vain. I now ordered some c2h dereelight op xpg reflectors, directly from the company.Waiting for them to arrive, i am planning to use 4 in a mod mag.

Please keep us posted when they come in. What is the diameter of those and how much are they? Perhaps we could do a group buy?

EDIT: Just looked at the size of those reflectors. They may be too big to fit four in mag head.

Last edited:

Hill

Enlightened

option.

with a brake hone ?
to fit the cells.

As promised, I've updated post #1 with pictures of my high tech boring setup :naughty:

Also included another shot of my custom LE

Hill

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Top man, Hill :twothumbs

All I need to do now is wait for my order to ship from Cutter
and I'll start "cloning" your build :)

ergotelis

Enlightened
Please keep us posted when they come in. What is the diameter of those and how much are they? Perhaps we could do a group buy?

EDIT: Just looked at the size of those reflectors. They may be too big to fit four in mag head.

Hi, the dimensions are exactly 19,5(can make though about 1mm less for sure by trimming the spiral) and height 14mm. I have one in home, for xr-e though, but the dimensions are the same.

I want to ask something about that project, where did you find the heatsink?Thanks!!

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, the dimensions are exactly 19,5(can make though about 1mm less for sure by trimming the spiral) and height 14mm. I have one in home, for xr-e though, but the dimensions are the same.

I want to ask something about that project, where did you find the heatsink?Thanks!!

As long as each reflector is less than 19.9mm, 4 of those Dereelight
reflectors will fit a Mag head without modding

ergotelis

Enlightened
Yes, this is what i am thinking too, i took some measurements and concluded the same, though i guess most of you guys already know that due to your experience with previous mods.

Just help me where can i find a heatsink to use for the mod, thanks again!