Led Help

malfozzy

Newly Enlightened
First time on here so go easy with the techno speak. I've bought a number of torches recently, all supporting cr123 and 18650 batteries. I bought a Jetbeam RRT-2, Eagletac T20c2 mk2 and a Olight m21. All these lghts worked fine with the cr123 batteries supplied. When I tried the 18650 2600mah 3.7 v rechargeable batteries, the 3 lights went crap. The Jetbeam is now as powerful as a burnt match. The Eagletac is about half it's previous strength, and the Olight emitted a tiny light. I sent the Olight back last week but the other two have only happened over the weekend. They are brand new and I was wondering if anyone else had had similar problems. Thanks

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh dear, it sounds like a: you have a very faulty 18650 cell, or b: you put it in the wrong way round.. I'm guessing the first one however as I doubt any light would be emitted if the second was the case, could you give a better description of the battery you were using? What brand is it? Where did you buy it from?

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you try charging the 18650 first? Li-ion batteries are considered to be 3.6/7 volts, but when fully charged read closer to 4.2 volts. If it is a protected cell, and is reading 3.6v, then the protection circuit may be tripping when a light attempts to draw current, thus creating little to no light.

You may also have a bad cell. What brand/type is it, and what type of charger are you using?

malfozzy

Newly Enlightened

malfozzy

Newly Enlightened
Did you try charging the 18650 first? Li-ion batteries are considered to be 3.6/7 volts, but when fully charged read closer to 4.2 volts. If it is a protected cell, and is reading 3.6v, then the protection circuit may be tripping when a light attempts to draw current, thus creating little to no light.

You may also have a bad cell. What brand/type is it, and what type of charger are you using?

I did charge it first. Took it more or less straight out the charger and then into the torch.

malfozzy

Newly Enlightened

The charger is an Ultrafire Rapid Charger

http://www.ledfiretorches.co.uk/ultrafire-wf139-charger.html

malfozzy

Newly Enlightened
Because I'm new my messages are taking years to get to here. I may not be able to answer for a millennia, but any help would be appreciated.

vasp1

Newly Enlightened
It could be a faulty charger. The brand of battery you have bought is well regarded, certainly on this site.

Actually I just noticed this in the blurb for your battery

"Please note that this is a flat top cell - Only for use in flashlights with a protruding positive contact or with a suitable magnetic spacer"

Maybe you're not getting a good enough contact ?

Last edited:

malfozzy

Newly Enlightened
It could be a faulty charger. The brand of battery you have bought is well regarded, certainly on this site.

Actually I just noticed this in the blurb for your battery

"Please note that this is a flat top cell - Only for use in flashlights with a protruding positive contact or with a suitable magnetic spacer"

Maybe you're not getting a good enough contact ?

But when I put my old (brand new) cr123's back in, the torch still doesn't produce a beam, about 1 lumen on the RRT-2.

vasp1

Newly Enlightened
But when I put my old (brand new) cr123's back in, the torch still doesn't produce a beam, about 1 lumen on the RRT-2.

I see - well I don't own those models so I can't say with any authority - I'm sure other CPFers can give you a better diagnosis - is it possible for this to happen if the battery is put in the wrong way round?

malfozzy

Newly Enlightened
I see - well I don't own those models so I can't say with any authority - I'm sure other CPFers can give you a better diagnosis - is it possible for this to happen if the battery is put in the wrong way round?

I though that, but apparently the torches I've got are immune somehow (I know that's not the right terminology) in case that happens.

vasp1

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried cycling through all the settings H/L/M strobe etc do you get poor performance on all settings? Not sure what this would indicate but might be useful for others to diagnose.

malfozzy

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried cycling through all the settings H/L/M strobe etc do you get poor performance on all settings? Not sure what this would indicate but might be useful for others to diagnose.

It makes no difference at all on the RRT-2. The chap I bought the batteries and charger off seems very decent. He's going to check them out for me. My bigger worry is the near £100 I seem to have lost on the Jetbeam torch.