looking at 2 nitecore d10s

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
im looking for 2 nitecore d10s. it seems the proven edc to get my father in law, who did us a huge favor last year, and is only asking for a cool light in return. was gonna pick myself up one and possibly a third for a friend paying for his own. is this pretty much still the way to go, or do you guys have a recommendation. i haven't followed the forums in a while. im open to a deal on some l1d ce's if there is some clearance out there but unless it will save me $20 or more, i'll take the d10s ui and ability to run 14500's.

if this flies with your judgement, who should i buy from and what is the code? thanks for all your input in advance.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you looking for D10 with the old ramping UI or the new SP UI? Has your father-in-law played with one before? D10's UI might not be "user-friendly" to non-flashaholics who're not used to PD workings.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
hes a hunting and fishing distributor so although not a flashaholic i think he can figure it out. looking for the old ramping style.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Much has happened in the D10 arena, in case you want to know more, I've included what I know in this thread.

There're only 2 versions of ramping D10s available for now; D10 Tribute and D10 R2 (XP-E). D10 Tribute has recently sold out and there won't be any more made so that leaves you the D10 R2 which you can either get it from ebay or Hong Kong dealers.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
crap. even the d10s on ebay, the description says high/med/low/strobe/sos modes. no one has the old school d10s for sale nib?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally would not gift a D10 or EX10 to anyone the UI is just to tricky, it's not difficult to figure out but can be tricky to use depending on the person and depending on the light. If your going the 14500 route I would suggest the Zebralight SC50 maybe he would like the warm version SC50w.

Also I like the Jetbeam Jet-I Pro with I.B.S UI also the Jet- RRT0 has a cool output selector ring that could make a cool gift. On the RRT0 it uses 1xcr123 but you can get the extension tube and run 14500 or AA also.

mr_maurice

Newly Enlightened
I don't think the D10 can considered "cool" by a non-flashaholic, it's just a black cylinder with knurling, nothing fancy here. And the piston can have a confusing tactile feedback, especially on the latest SP models i think.
I have 3 of those, ramping and SP, but I would not consider gifting them.

Why not try one of the new Zebras, the SC50 has an interesting and stylish design, which can be appreciated by anyone who likes cool stuff I'm sure.
And while you're at it, get both cool and neutral emitters and let him choose.

hazna

Enlightened
im looking for 2 nitecore d10s. it seems the proven edc to get my father in law, who did us a huge favor last year, and is only asking for a cool light in return. was gonna pick myself up one and possibly a third for a friend paying for his own. is this pretty much still the way to go, or do you guys have a recommendation. i haven't followed the forums in a while. im open to a deal on some l1d ce's if there is some clearance out there but unless it will save me $20 or more, i'll take the d10s ui and ability to run 14500's.

if this flies with your judgement, who should i buy from and what is the code? thanks for all your input in advance.

From what I've read on the forums, sometimes the piston drive on the d10, can require some tweaking. Not ideal for someone who is not a flashaholic. The zebralight is nice... you could also think about the quark range (pretty similar interface with fenix). The Quark AA can run on 14500. The fenix ld10 or l1d, do not support 14500 properly

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I've read on the forums, sometimes the piston drive on the d10, can require some tweaking. Not ideal for someone who is not a flashaholic...

Even if they don't require immediate tweaking, they surely require regular cleaning and lubing. Non-flashaholics want to take their light out of the package, pop a battery in and use it. They will only open the light again to change the battery and before they do it, they'll call you to tell you the light is broken, because it is very dim or flashes... :nana:

No, seriously, the Nitecore PD lights are no lights to gift, lights with a clicky are best for that purpose, they can survive and stay in working condition without any care if they need to.

My D10 and EX10 are my flashlight playground, there are o-rings to sand down, springs to shorten, brass-rings to take off and clean, pistons to replace with slotted ones, bodys to cerakote, clips to install and so on! :crazy:

drmaxx

Enlightened
Never ask what light to get on cpf - there always will be more suggestions then actual help to narrow down your choice. :naughty:
So here some more points to consider:

* I think the D10 is the perfect cool light for a hunter / fisherman. Anybody who can clean a gun can take care of a piston drive. I really like the fact that you can adjust the light to your specific needs. However, I own the old school IU - and that is simply great.

* An other cool light you might consider are the Zebralight headlamps. These are just awesome for any close up work. Very cool and unique - not many have have these type of useful lights out there. I own the H501 and it is the most used flashlight of mine. Can not comment on the newer models - however, if they similar in quality and beam shape - then you should consider this option.

* A disadvantage of the D10 (or of all single AA lights) is their length. Somewhat short for extended use with gloves. You might want to consider a 2AA light - just because of the form factor.

Good luck.

DeadButAlive

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I forgot to mention Matt has said there're some Tributes left over from the first batch, but they're tied up in the fire insurance claim. Will probably be available later.

Art

Enlightened
I know dealers in europe that still have the old UI for sale. If you need info just PM.