Surefire E2L-O or...

Tiresius

Enlightened
I'm really tempted to get surefire's E2L-O for camping. My G2L with cree q5 and 6p with malkof m60 aren't practical for long burn time--especially camping for several days and having to change batteries every 1-2hr. I know I can play it cheap and get a multi-stage emitter for the 6p but I want one that I don't need to modify to enjoy using as a camping/fishing companion.

For the price I'm paying for e2l-o, would someone recommend something else? Practically, you can't go wrong with surefire. The key here is to get a long burn time and not sacrifice much throw and lighting--which I see this light fits the bill.

Any suggestions for an alternative if you think that'll be better than the e2l-o but not requiring me to pay more than 150 USD?

DrDave

Newly Enlightened
The SureFire flashlights are great and the E2L-O looks like a good model. I have a Fenix TK11 R5 and it has 60 lumens for 14 hours and it takes CR123A or 18650. A contender for the E2L-O but not in the same class in build quality.......

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you have it down to the right light the E2L is a wonderful light with a great runtime/output mix with good throw. Great outdoors, camping, hiking light.

Tiresius

Enlightened
The SureFire flashlights are great and the E2L-O looks like a good model. I have a Fenix TK11 R5 and it has 60 lumens for 14 hours and it takes CR123A or 18650. A contender for the E2L-O but not in the same class in build quality.......

I went ahead and ordered the E2L because I didn't like the weight of TK models from Fenix. They're quite heavy for my taste. The g2 already feels too heavy for it's size :D

I liked the E2L's bezel diameter not being much bigger than the body. No offense but the last thing I want is another body that looks like a 6p or g2. And um, I didn't like the triangle between the body and the tailcap.

And I saw a video comparison of it to a 6p incan--which means I can get the throw and intensity of a 6p but with 3x longer burn time. I had both my lights die out on me last night during fishing and walking back to the cars. And that is a big No-No when it takes a good 30min to obtain your night vision.

Just one more question before I end up doing anything dumb. Can the AW RCR123 battery work with this light? On the volt meter, it reads 4.18v each when fully charged. Will the light be able to handle the extra 2.4v?

Happy lighting :D

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just one more question before I end up doing anything dumb. Can the AW RCR123 battery work with this light? On the volt meter, it reads 4.18v each when fully charged. Will the light be able to handle the extra 2.4v?

Happy lighting :D

The KX2 head that is on the E2L is meant for 6v 2x primary but I have read members who have ran it with 2xrcr for very short periods and been ok but also a couple that that messed the light up by frying the board.

Its not recommended by Surefire and even though there service is the best maybe they wouldn't replace it so I wouldn't recommend it. If you want to run Li-Ion there is safer size's to use like the 17670 although you may have to bore it out depending on your tube.

There is plenty of info here just CPF search KX2 on Li-Ion.

carrot

Flashaholic
The E2L is a great light. Go for it. I would also recommend considering the LX2 and L1 as another option.

Vesper

Enlightened
I have a bucket load of lights now, and my E2L is without doubt still my go-to light. It's levels and runtime are perfect for camping and you just feel good knowing it's built to take Armageddon. It's not meant to be a bright barn-burner, just very good for its practical purpose. Do yourself a favor and get yourself Surefire's F04 diffuser ($14). A must for around the camp - actually i rarely take it off.

stevedenver

Newly Enlightened
i have the e2l-o

i bought it at a good discount via REI abut a year ago-my first surefire-

and i bought-about 4 -5 months back the latest release executive defender-slightly brighter on high-same on low compared to e2L-o (may simply be older emitter batch)-defender is slightly whiter -the e2l has a slightly warmer tint-which is nice for the trail at night

and while i am not anywhere as knowledgeable about lights as most here
i do a lot of hiking and climbing

its a nice light-its my edc-you should get one "just because"-im sure youll come to love it and rely upon it

it has nice throw when you need it-it starts on low and clicks to high-

(FWIW the defender IMHO is identical-but the defender starts high and clicks to low-and is black and has the crenelated bezels to strike an assailant-)

i really like both and i love surefire quality and burn time-i also like the lock out twist end cap by the button

my e2 is green, the defender black-i have added yellow and red plastic tape to the bodies of each-as well as a touch of GID paint to the e2l-o -so they can be seen if dropped in the dark-because they are virtually invisible in the dark otherwise

if you like lanyards, the defender is better due to the small holes in the button end ( which would allow a small cord or metal o-ring)-otherwise both require that you thread a cord via the small clip

never the less-i actually still prefer a good head lamp for hands free aspect-and-many offer red leds as well for the middle of the night events

the surefire's excel at throw and penetration -hopefully you wont be down- climbing in the dead of night-if so you might still need you hands free

Last edited: