Tail switch (clicky) for 2AA Minimag LED

drb

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone possitively list tail switches that work for the minimag LED and which is best?

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I have that one, but I have one that has a red LED that blinks so you can find it.

I may be wrong, but it may have come from Ripoffs. I have too many things, and forget brands.

If you can find one they are very cool. the other one listed above is good, too.

Someone here will know of the lighted switch.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are referring to a minimag factory LED (not incandescent upgraded to led) then I don't think there is a tail switch made for it. The MM led has a longer spring in the tail than the incan model so the tail switches sold are TOO SHORT to make contact with the battery. I have toyed with the idea of putting a longer spring on my kroll tail switch and seeing if it will work on my father-in-laws MM led. If anyone knows something to be incorrect please chime in. I do know the kroll will not work on the 3AA minimag.(thats why the in-law wound up with the MM led:D)

m4mike

Newly Enlightened
i'm new to CPF but i've been a light afficianado forever...i've seen Nite Ize conversion kits for that light at Lowe's and Target, which includes the "clicky" tailcap you want but it also came with an LED bulb conversion...not sure if u want the LED but i'm yet to see just the tailcap...and also, i cannot verify the quality of this brand

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I used to have a 2 AA mini mag led and I had a kroll switch on it I just took the factory spring out of the mag and stuck it in the kroll. The switch worked great but the light was horrible.

You could also just make a spacer if you wanted to use something other than the kroll.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I personally prefer the kroll switch over any others.

Holly, guacamole, just hit 16000 posts!

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.led-replacement.com/tcs-1.html

Do you see the warning that says it will not work? I'm trying to confirm it it works or not with the multimode LED 2AA?

The TCS-1 switch works with the 2AA four mode Mini Maglite version which comes with the lanyard hole in the tail cap. I know because I have them. See the photo and my earlier post.

I don't think it works if your 2AA four mode Mini Maglite came with the plain tail cap which lacks a lanyard hole and has a longer spring.

minimag-terralux-switch.jpg

Mikeg23

Enlightened
You know, even with tens of thousands of the best lights made, I still like my Mini Mag Lights.

All the upgrades are fun, I am glad I kept all my Mag lights.

I like the old mini mags with a good drop in much better than the new mini mags. I would love to get a hold of one of the ceramic bi pin modules for a strion bulb/ TL3 bulb... I should have bought one years ago when lighthound had them.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what tailcap switches will work with your LED Mini-Maglite as I only have an old incandescent Mini-Maglite that I converted to LED with a drop in, but you might want to know that the resistance of these tailcap switches can vary greatly between the different brands. The Night-Ize IQ model in particular has been measured by CPF members to have the highest electrical resistance of them all and thus it will decrease the light output.

The Terralux TCS-1 I think was measured to have the same resistance as the stock Mag tailcap that it replaces. That's why I bought it for my Mini-Maglite.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TCS-1(reverse clicky) or Kroll (forward clicky)will work with the multi-level MiniMags only if they have the tailcap with a lanyard hole. I have used and been disappointed by the Nite-Ize IQ switch. My preference is the Kroll.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a few minimags, old inc. converted to led with tle 5 iirc, 140lm(claimed), also have new mini mag led with multimode stock switch .

tle drop in is big improvement compared to stock incandescent mag, but next to new rebel minimags, it is not that good, i use iq switch, and i'm pretty happy with it.
after buying rebel mini mag, i gave old converted mag with iq to my father he likes it a lot, i think i turned him into flashaholic,:whistle:
about 7-10 years back i bought a tail switch that was totally covered with rubber, looked like a cone, worked great, i never seen one like that since than.

drb

Newly Enlightened
Well I ordered 3 of the TCS-1 and will post my opinion after I get them.

ps56k

Enlightened
I have a Minimag LED sitting here, and just looked at the tailcap.
Mine is flat with no lanyard hole.

After unscrewing it - the entire thread area is anodized.
There is a small bare metal band on the inside tube, just beyond the threads.
The tailcap has some "fingers" that reach out beyond the threads to make contact with the bare metal band.

Therefore, if your tailcap switch has the usual spring sticking out in the threads area, it will not make contact with bare metal inside the Minimag LED tube, and therefore will not work.

drb

Newly Enlightened
All of my AA LED minimag's have the lanyard hole. I got the TCS-1 switches today and they work perfectly! Does anyone have advice on how to tighten up the head from turning besides teflon tape on the threads?

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have advice on how to tighten up the head from turning besides teflon tape on the threads?

I've never actually tried it before, but I was thinking of using a thicker O-ring under the head to tighten it up. I honestly don't know what size to try though.