Malkoff saves the day: Lighting up the world's longest pedestrian bridge

ejot

Enlightened
Nearby where I live they recently transformed an old railroad bridge over the Hudson River into a pedestrian path. Tonight they a few coworkers and I went to a night event where they turned on the first time a bunch of LED strips to illuminate the bridge. Which was cool to see, but not what the story is about. The 1500 lumens we were packing among us turned out to be surprisingly useful. :D

See the problem was ... well, the whole event was a mess. They let almost three thousand people onto the bridge. Normally it could easily accommodate that, but things got slightly problematic when ALL OF THEM gathered as near to the event as possible to watch the switch get flipped (the path is only like 20' wide). Needless to say it was not particularly comfortable, you couldn't move anywhere, the speakers didn't work so no one heard anything, and finally they hit the switch after a grand countdown, 45 minutes late.

A moment prior I had commented how funny it would be if nothing happened Yeah, you guessed it. ;) Switch on. Nothing. Darkness. Silence. Couple murmurs. There was some scrambling around and a moment later they did all come on.

Well, not quite. At least two huge sections had hundreds of the LED strips totally dark. And hilariously, there so many people on the bridge that even where the LEDs were lit, the people blocked all the light. And I mean ALL of the light. It was nearly pitch black in the middle. :crackup: Now people want to get home, they still can't move through the crowd, and they can't see a darn thing! :laughing::twothumbs So how many "normal citizens" there do you think had flashlights? I saw, um ... three. 0.1%. Awful, dim, ringy, yellow beams :hahaha:

We wanted to get home too, and spotted a narrow area where traffic was starting move a bit. Headed that way and I pulled out the orange 6P + Malkoff M61. It was fantastic - people were so awed by the amount of light coming from apparently nowhere that they instinctively just moved aside a little bit. We started gaining momentum and getting through the crowd (we were also the only source of useful illumination for everyone around). I think I heard "Holy #$@^ that's bright" at least 11 times. :grin2:. Things were even more dramatic in the areas where the bridge lighting failed to turn on. When I flicked off the light, it was just total darkness. Surreal really, thousands of people streaming through a walkway completely unlit. Quickly back on, the M61 flooded everything for hundreds of feet with beautiful, cool, reflected XP-G happiness. The perfect beam for the task.

That felt good. :cool:

fyrstormer

Banned
Cool story, but I'll wager the cops will be at your door tomorrow wanting to know what you think you're doing with flashlights brighter than theirs.

j/k, but I do wonder if eventually some do-gooder somewhere is going to decide that What We Need Is A Law to make sure people don't hurt each other with really bright portable illumination. Which, of course, will not apply to police, because such laws never do.

ejot

Enlightened
I did consider that.

I didn't intend to use the light aggressively. Just wanted to see where I was going, since we'd started walking and it was really dark! :sick2: But then people just kind of cleared the way. They were mostly impressed and glad to have some light, and of course we were all careful and didn't blind many people (except each other). :devil::laughing:

flip

Enlightened
Ken, I was hoping it was a joke but after reading the sentence that followed that, I really wasn't sure. :thumbsup:

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Orange 6P+Malkoff M61= $130
Lighting up the world's longest pedestrian bridge with it= Priceless

stallion2

Enlightened
i would've been reluctant to turn it on for fear of being swarmed. i know i'd have been right on your heels if i was stuck on that bridge w/out light.

ejot

Enlightened
Orange 6P+Malkoff M61= $130
Lighting up the world's longest pedestrian bridge with it= Priceless
Hey that first part is a good deal! Where do I send the money? :p :takeit:

i would've been reluctant to turn it on for fear of being swarmed. i know i'd have been right on your heels if i was stuck on that bridge w/out light.
Very reasonable and logical train of thought. Which, uh, we didn't think of. :ohgeez: It did all work out well though. :twothumbs

Most of the people I work with now have flashaholic-grade lights (how did that happen?:whistle:) and those saw a bit of use here and there as well. It was like a mini flashlight gang. :lolsign:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing the story. It's always interesting what happens when you kick on a light in a large group of people at night...unless it's a CPF get-together!

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
a night event where they turned on the first time a bunch of LED strips to illuminate the bridge. :cool:

Hmm, wonder what type of LEDs in those strips?

It was fantastic - people were so awed by the amount of light coming from apparently nowhere that they instinctively just moved aside a little bit. :cool:

I guess people moved aside thinking they were giving way to a vehicle or something huge!

Great Story! Another flashlight saves the day (or night) :thumbsup:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those in the Hudson Valley, this really is a very leisurely, beautiful stroll for a weekend/weekday afternoon. I've been up there a few times, and my friends and I walked the loop heading over the bridge to the west side, down a bit, back over the Mid-Hudson Bridge, and up to the car. I wish I'd known about this event, as there would then have been at least two CPF'ers present.

I encourage anyone in the area to visit the park and go for a walk over the Hudson.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
wish i knew about this event too. looks like a cool bridge.

sounds similar to my situation last july 4th. the parking lot fills fast at the dam so they run parking from elsewhere. but when the fireworks are over it's very dark. using high lumens and ppl instinctively move. :D

ejot

Enlightened
Sweet situation. Love it. :thumbsup:

Has your Orange MD2 shown up yet? M61 rules in there. :cool:

Fired it up for the first time right now! :faint: :thumbsup:
I'll post some reactions in my WTB thread.

The bridge really is a great walk and comes highly recommended to anyone in the area or passing through. With regards to the type of LED, I'll grab a pic next time I'm up there. Interestingly, they're quite warm and I'm sure they found something pretty cheap since there's maybe ~100K of them.