Palm sized super floody

kevin_d'marie

Newly Enlightened
So I was browsing around on a different forum when I came upon a led light that gave aprox. 1100 lumens on its high output.

This isn't that unusual yes but most light that can do this are huge or at least big as my arm but this one happens to be as big as a novatac storm or other similar sized lights. (its palm size)

Does that seem unusual to you guys?

Here's what I know:

SST 90 Luminus LED driven at 2.8 Ah.

Runs of an 18500 IMR battery from AW.

3 modes:
High (~1100 lumens)
Med (~400 lumens)
Low (~60 lumens)

Runtime: Around 20 min on high, unknown for med and low but expected to be long as hell.

Pure flood beam

Customhost made by Fivemega and Don McGizmo.
The body is E-series.
Olivedrab hard anodised 1x18500 body with a built in clicky that
has been modified for stronger current.
A Mule head in electroless nickle plating.
Saphireglass.

So does this make sense?

Last edited:

Noctis

Enlightened
So I was browsing around on a different forum when I came upon a led light that gave aprox. 1100 lumens on its high output.

This isn't that unusual yes but most light that can do this are huge or at least big as my arm but this one happens to be as big as a novatac storm or other similar sized lights. (its palm size)

Does that seem unusual to you guys?

Here's what I know:

SST 90 Luminus LED driven at 2.8 Ah.

Runs of an 18500 IMR battery from AW.

3 modes:
High (~1100 lumens)
Med (~400 lumens)
Low (~60 lumens)

Runtime: Around 20 min on high, unknown for med and low but expected to be long as hell.

Pure flood beam

Customhost made by Fivemega and Don McGizmo.
The body is E-series.
Olivedrab hard anodised 1x18500 body with a built in clicky that
has been modified for stronger current.
A Mule head in electroless nickle plating.
Saphireglass.

So does this make sense?
1,100 lumens would just be emitter lumens. I'd expect the OTF lumens to be closer to the neighborhood of 800 lumens at turn on and rapidly dropping down to 600 as it heats up.

I'm currently testing a setup with a Surefire 6P with AW IMR 18650 using Nailbender's SST-90 Direct Drive module. It currently draws about 6-7 amps.

The numbers would suggest that I'd get 1,750+ lumens with that current, but I'd be shocked if I get more than 1,200 OTF for longer than 20 seconds.

Heat is the problem with these tiny lights, and the emitter is mounted on a hollow pill rather than a solid metal heatsink. Maybe you could get impressive numbers in the first 5 seconds, but it will be less impressive after that.

Noctis

Enlightened
IMHO it doesn't seem like that big of a stretch.
If we're talking about literally then the figures would check out.

Still, common sense(for a flashaholic) would tell you that there's a big difference between "on paper" emitter lumens and what actually comes out of the flashlight.

An SST-50 driven at 2.8A should give at least 650-700 lumens, but the OTF numbers are usually less than 500. I feel cheated that I'm losing 150-200 lumens off the bat, and I can only wonder where they all went.

Runtime on Medium would be about an hour or less, not "long as hell" by my standards.

It pays to have conservative if not pessimistic projections of figures, mostly because they're closer to the truth.