Eagletac TC20, Quark turbo or Deree DBS ...

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I'm looking for a replacement for my Eagletac T20C2 MkII light. It was my general purpose/always have on hand light. I'm thinking of either getting the either the same Eagletac, or the XPG version of the quark turbo CR123*2 or Deree DBS. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, I'll tell you what I liked and what I would have changed on the T20C2 MkII. Thanks for you alls opinons!

Pros:
- Efficiency of the XP G bulb! For an everyday light I loved being able to get over an hour at 300 lumens and over 100 hours at about 10 lumens!
- Spacing of the modes. Each ascending level was about 5X more powerful than the last – 12, 60 & 300 lumens. That was great for me – I couldn't imagine wanting something stronger than 60 but less than 300 lumens for example.
- Rubber tailcap boot. I loved how easy it was to take on and off. Tailcap is easy to activate with it on – easier with it off if you wear gloves/lack dexterity. Tailstands very stable with it on. I'm sure it gives some shock protection in a fall (along with the SS bezel ring up front). With it on, it's easy to hold the light with your teeth when you need both hands.
- Overall quality of light seemed really top notch.

Cons:
- slight crescent shape in beam. (I had the smooth and I heard the OP doesn't lose any throw and fixes that).
- High and Medium modes are easy to activate but finding low takes some fiddling. Personally I wish high and low were easy to activate. Instant access to Hi for when I need a shock and awe effect and low for not messing up night vision or disturbing others around me. I don't mind fiddling to find medium because there is usually nothing urgent in the balance when I'm looking for medium.
- On the spot to flood continuum, the beam is closer to flood than I like for an all around light. I'm not looking for a pencil beam thrower but just a bit more throw. I would say the Eagletac on high "lights up" a house at 120 yards away, but at 160 yards away you can just barely notice the beam pass over the same house. I guess I'm shooting for something that would "light up" a house from 150 yards away and you could notice the beam pass over the house from 200 yards out.
- Personally I'd like a bit warmer beam in the 4,500K range … I'm guessing it comes in about the 5,500K range?
- Though I love the spacing of the levels as mentioned earlier I'd love a lower low – as in 2.4 Lumens to follow the 1/5 rule J.

On the Deree DBS XPG I'm guessing it's much more of a thrower. I'm wondering if its not too much of a thrower though. Also I'm not sure about the levels but I've heard they are 300,150&45? I would like levels more spaced out…

Quark 123*2 turbo – I've never seen one, but from what I've seen I love the user interface – being able to pick 2 levels that you have instant access to. I wonder if with the turbo head it can throw farther than the T20C2 … My concern is (from the #'s) it seems much weaker. 230 lumens – is that to be compared with ET's 380 emitter lumens or 300 OTF lumens?

Sorry for all the questions!

Rick

somename

Newly Enlightened
:thumbsup:
I'm looking for a replacement for my Eagletac T20C2 MkII light. It was my general purpose/always have on hand light. I'm thinking of either getting the either the same Eagletac, or the XPG version of the quark turbo CR123*2 or Deree DBS. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, I'll tell you what I liked and what I would have changed on the T20C2 MkII. Thanks for you alls opinons!

Pros:
- Efficiency of the XP G bulb! For an everyday light I loved being able to get over an hour at 300 lumens and over 100 hours at about 10 lumens!
- Spacing of the modes. Each ascending level was about 5X more powerful than the last – 12, 60 & 300 lumens. That was great for me – I couldn't imagine wanting something stronger than 60 but less than 300 lumens for example.
- Rubber tailcap boot. I loved how easy it was to take on and off. Tailcap is easy to activate with it on – easier with it off if you wear gloves/lack dexterity. Tailstands very stable with it on. I'm sure it gives some shock protection in a fall (along with the SS bezel ring up front). With it on, it's easy to hold the light with your teeth when you need both hands.
- Overall quality of light seemed really top notch.

Cons:
- slight crescent shape in beam. (I had the smooth and I heard the OP doesn't lose any throw and fixes that).
- High and Medium modes are easy to activate but finding low takes some fiddling. Personally I wish high and low were easy to activate. Instant access to Hi for when I need a shock and awe effect and low for not messing up night vision or disturbing others around me. I don't mind fiddling to find medium because there is usually nothing urgent in the balance when I'm looking for medium.
- On the spot to flood continuum, the beam is closer to flood than I like for an all around light. I'm not looking for a pencil beam thrower but just a bit more throw. I would say the Eagletac on high "lights up" a house at 120 yards away, but at 160 yards away you can just barely notice the beam pass over the same house. I guess I'm shooting for something that would "light up" a house from 150 yards away and you could notice the beam pass over the house from 200 yards out.
- Personally I'd like a bit warmer beam in the 4,500K range … I'm guessing it comes in about the 5,500K range?
- Though I love the spacing of the levels as mentioned earlier I'd love a lower low – as in 2.4 Lumens to follow the 1/5 rule J.

On the Deree DBS XPG I'm guessing it's much more of a thrower. I'm wondering if its not too much of a thrower though. Also I'm not sure about the levels but I've heard they are 300,150&45? I would like levels more spaced out…

Quark 123*2 turbo – I've never seen one, but from what I've seen I love the user interface – being able to pick 2 levels that you have instant access to. I wonder if with the turbo head it can throw farther than the T20C2 … My concern is (from the #'s) it seems much weaker. 230 lumens – is that to be compared with ET's 380 emitter lumens or 300 OTF lumens?

Rick

I have the T20C2 MKII now with the XP-G R5 with the OP reflector and it has a great looking beam with no dark spots when shining outside at decent distances.

Based on your remarks it sounds like your looking for a little more of a thrower and I don't have a Quark yet (waiting on my 2 WW preorders to ship) but I would guess the Quark 123^2 will not out throw the Eagletac. It might be close to matching, but I can't verify it.

If your looking for a little warmer, the Neutral white XP-E with the OP reflector on the T20C2MKII is very nice. I am currently using that now and my XP-G R5 module is sitting in a drawer now.

To me it sounds like your really looking for more throw, so why not try the Deree DBS XPG. You've already tried the T20C2MKII, so by trying something else you'll find you either like the T20C2MKII more or you may have found your new favorite light.

If it does have too much throw I'm sure you could find someone else looking for more throw on the marketplace. I would personally like to hear your thoughts on how it would throw compared to your past experience with the T20C2MKII.

No better way to further define you likes and dislikes than to try other products. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rick

I don't know how the Quark Turbo compares to the T20C2 as far as throw is concerned, but I do know that 4sevens under rates the output of their lights. My Quark 123-2 Turbo makes roughly 300 OTF lumens :whistle:. As far as throw is concerned, the Turbo series does throw, but I wouldn't call it a dedicated thrower. The spill is very useful, so you get the best of both worlds, but that may not be what you're looking for :thumbsup:.

Here's my Quark 123-2 Turbo being compared to my Fenix TK11 XR-E R2. Note that the TK11 has a slight orange peel textured reflector. A Fenix TK11 might be what you need, although I'm not familiar with the throw of the TK11's with the updated emitter (XP-G).
Click here

Last edited: