Fenix PD30 R4

silverecco

Newly Enlightened
Firstly I just want to say how AWESOME all of you guys are. I've been lurking on these forums for years and decided to create an account to share my experience with the new Fenix PD30.

In November of 2008 I bought a Fenix PD30 with the Q5 emitter after reading raving reviews on flashlightreviews.com. I received it and could not have been happier. I put some 30 sets of batteries through it, submerged it in a 16' pool, dropped it 100 times, and generally beat the crap out of it and it just never gave up. I just greased the threads and o-rings occasionally and put DeOxIT on the contacts and she just chugged along. Last Friday I was out with friends misplaced it somewhere. I searched long and hard for it but never found it. Without even thinking, I purchased a PD30 with the XG-P R4 emitter (and to be honest, I've been looking at it longingly since December when it came out), expecting the same light but with a little more output. I was thoroughly disappointed. I popped some brand new batteries in it and the first thing I noticed was the beam had a significantly bluer tint. The spot in the middle has harsh edges and abruptly transitions into the spill, and the spot has fairly noticeable Cree rings inside it. These are things that probably wouldn't bother most people, but I just have come to expect so much from Fenix.

What happened? I noticed the R4 one has a completely smooth reflector. Is this a fluke? My Q5 had a pretty heavily textured one. I suspect a textured reflector would ameliorate both the harsh edge and the Cree rings, so I have no idea why Fenix didn't put one in it. This light isn't designed for throw, and I don't notice any more throw than my old one. Its functional range is still about the same, so what's the point of the smooth reflector?

I like some changes. The threads are much smoother and the knurling on the body makes it much easier to hold. I'm neutral on the pocket clip since I carry it in a holster on my belt anyway.

I'm seriously considering returning it to the fenix-store and picking up a Quark 123^2 R5. I came here after noticing the problems and wish I had before because I would have just immediately sprung for the Quark. I'm still partial to the PD30 if only because I'm very familiar with it and because I was so happy with my old one. I was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing these problems or noticed a big difference between the Q5 and R4 versions.

Rocketman

Enlightened
I have the new version that you just bought and the older version, I like them both. I wished at first that the new R4 version had an orange peel reflector but have come to like it as it is. I suppose the designers thought a smooth reflector would work best for the new led. It is still a very nice light. My PD30's, my LD10, and my Malkoff MD2 are my favorite lights.

daf3m

Enlightened
Instead of the R4 version you should have purchased the R2 .Much tighter beam :) ,maybe even more than the Q5 you owned..

*as a fact Fenix gives 145 meters throw distance to the PD30 R2 and 115 to PD30 R4 due to different emitter+reflector used -you can check it at their site.

CampingMaster

Newly Enlightened
I have the PD30 Q5, R2 and R4. After only 4 months and only very few hours of operation my PD30 R4 did:poof:

The head was smelling electrical short circuit but the emitter was looking ok.

I returned it to my dealer and received a brand new flashlight with... a smooth reflector.:(

I was very disappointed -> a brown spot inside the throw, artifacts, and no more nice spill like before. For me this flashlight was absolutely useless.

My dealer told me : This smooth reflector tightens the beam and increases throw. The area inside the middle of the beam is normal for reflectors of this type.

I can't not give it or sell it because my friends will tell me : « Why this brown spot in the middle of the throw you sell me a lemon! ».

My dealer told me : I am afraid that it is not possible to change the reflector or acquire a model with the older style reflector. They are discontinued. As this light is 4 months outside of the return for refund period and not resellable, I'm unable to refund it. This light was returned to you fully functional as fenix produces them now.

My first PD30 R4 was may be 4 months old but the smooth reflector replacement was brand new!

"Please help me!" is what I asked to Fenix Manufacturer, they where very kind to find a solution as you see here :
Sorry for any trouble caused to you, as here the PD30 R4 with the OP reflector is indeed discontinued, so even we don't have any in stock too, so I think if you need the OP version, I suggest you ask the dealer to find your primary PD30 R4 and forward to us, here we will try our best to repair well for you, then you can own it again.

But I will tell you something : I read about the design of the Quark's clip on CPF Market Place - I was very impressed. Than I ordered a Quark 123² XP-G R5 cool white.

WOW! What a flashlight! This is more than a lamp torch this is a jewel. I found twenty (20) reasons to buy a Q123² R5 vs the Fenix PD30 R4.

Now my flashaholic's life is changed - I am sold to Quark's line of flashlights.

I compared these two EDC's flashlights... Take a look at post # 9 on this thread : https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3383992&posted=1#post3383992

I already returned my smooth reflector head to my dealer and I am waiting for my original head repaired by Fenix Manufacturer for which I was very satisfied.

This is the third time I have to send back a Fenix head, I had a problem on a brand new PD30 R2 right off the box last year and the replacement was full of artifact, (Canadian dealer) so, I sold it to a friend and the other one I bought was finally ok.

This my very own experience, happy to share it to you all the communauty of flashaholics around the World.

Because my mothers'tongue is french my english might not be so good but probably enough for you all to understand my thoughts.

Bye !

Last edited:

silverecco

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot guys. I'll be calling fenix-store.com Tuesday about returning my light so I can pick up a Quark 123^2. I'm actually looking forward to being able to use rechargeable cell, too. Now the question is: regular for versatility, tactical for function, or turbo for throw ... hmmmm. Choices, choices.

Wish I could just buy them all :D

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
What happened? I noticed the R4 one has a completely smooth reflector. Is this a fluke? My Q5 had a pretty heavily textured one. I suspect a textured reflector would ameliorate both the harsh edge and the Cree rings, so I have no idea why Fenix didn't put one in it.

That is strange when you was describing the cree rings and dark spots I was certain you were getting the R2 and R4 mixed up. My R4 beam is very smooth with no sign of any ring or artifacts so I just double checked and my R4 has the same textured reflector as the R2 and Q5 models I have. Even with the textured reflector the R2 is horrible on a white wall but the R4 is flawless.

I got my R4 as they were first released maybe they changed to a smooth now.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two and one has just an ever so slight dimmer area inside the hotspot but I wouldn't call it a donut hole like I see in other lights. The other R4 has no dim area at all on this light. I guess the emitter could sit a little bit further from the board than normal. I seen the same effect on a P20C2 MKII with smooth, one had a very obvious donut the other smooth had no donut at all.

Someone stole that rare non-donut smooth reflector P20C2 MKII from car and I have not been able to find another like it, I have bought a couple more P20 smooth (the entire light) and a couple P20 drop in's but they all have the donut. So I have to stick with the OP in the P20 MKII but really it's not that big a deal because I didn't get much more throw from it to begin with I just liked the size and shape of the hotspot a little better.

Grubrunner

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot guys. I'll be calling fenix-store.com Tuesday about returning my light so I can pick up a Quark 123^2. I'm actually looking forward to being able to use rechargeable cell, too. Now the question is: regular for versatility, tactical for function, or turbo for throw ... hmmmm. Choices, choices.

Bad idea.

silverecco

Newly Enlightened
The rings aren't terribly noticeable, but the first thing I did was shine it on a white wall and I immediately spotted them. It's not quite as bad when I'm actually using it. I shined it on some distant trees last night and I couldn't see the donuts, but the area in the middle was less illuminated than the ring around the spot, which is really irritating. Subjectively, the throw is about the same as my Q5, but the spot is a lot less smooth and uniform.

Bad idea.

Uh oh, that's never a good thing to hear. Care to elaborate?

Fenix reflectors can't beat XP-G donut hole effect, look on the spot :)

My Q5 never had rings, maybe they were just too faint for me to see, but I definitely never noticed any.

I got my R4 as they were first released maybe they changed to a smooth now.

Evidently they have according to CampingMaster. Newer versions of the R4 have a smooth reflector, a perplexing change.

Last edited:

CampingMaster

Newly Enlightened

Very good idea, you won't regret it. You will be amazed by Quark's quality and functionnality.

vvs

Newly Enlightened
I heard about that, but I don't know what it is because with my Q123² and my QMiNi 123 I never see anything resembling a preflash.

I have four MiNi's AA (no preflash at all), 123^2 neutral white regular head - moderate, close to invisible preflash and 123^2 tactical warm white with powerful, camera-like flash.
:poof: and no nightvision :mecry:
PD30 didn't have moonlight and low :nana:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard about that, but I don't know what it is because with my Q123² and my QMiNi 123 I never see anything resembling a preflash.

I can show it to you by Webcam, believe me!

So if you have the Quark 123x2 in turbo turn it off and then loosen the head and turn back on you don't see a bright blink? I have several Quark models and they all have pre-flash but it doesn't bother me.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all mine the pre flash is unpredictable sometimes when I have it turbo and turn off and loosen head then back on their is pre flash, other times when I have it turbo shut in off loosen the bezel and keep it off for awhile their is none. Lucky you if you have one without it, don't lose it :)

vvs

Newly Enlightened
The most important difference between PD30 and Q123² is not the preflash but all the twenty advantages of buying the Q123² that you can see at this thread - post # 9

I'm not in the US, so plentу of pro's not for me, in Ukraine there's only fenix official warranty in 10 minutes by the car from my office.

There's few pro and cons between PD30/Quark 123^2:
1. Fenix has sexiest design (only old pd30/q5, without knurling on the body, newer one less attractive, grip vs look - I prefer look)
2. Very pleasant pd30 button, oh, I love that feeling, quark reverse button stiffer and at night "click" can awake my son (that's why I use MiNi's as night watch light)
3. Clip on the quark - yeah, it's awesome, Fenix clip is worse by design: it will scratch anodizing, rattling over body and overall much stiffer (my old pd30 didn't have clip, so I judge on tk12 clip, I cannot stick it even to my jeans pocket, very-very stiff; from pics I see PD30 has the same system)
4. For general purprose fenix "low" 6-11 lumens is great while navigating over the house at night, you'll need to skip moonlight and low on quark, when going to the medium. But for deep night walking 6+lm is more than enough, 1-2lumens, no more required for night adopted vision.
5. For "night watch" mini's are better, that's why I choose tactical for EDC: I need two modes - medium and max, where medium suits on almost all usage scenarios with very pleasant warm non-blinding wide beam even for closework (now I do not need a diffuser)

...and now I know everything about quark preflash :ohgeez:
4sevens, please, do something with preflash :bow:

PS: I cannot use 4sevens headband with 123^2, only with mini AA (too stiff), and nitecore design is better with top-band: it is difficult to ajust beam direction to be exact the same to your eyes direction, even when you're looking forward.

Last edited: