Surefire WA1185 Li-Ion Runtime (interupted of course)

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all!

Today I run a hard test of the KD Forward clickie switch. I used a SF85 on a Solarforce L2 host.....

That is a D26 Module that takes G4 Bi-pin bulbs....My setup was a WA1185 and 3xSamsung 2600mAh 18650s 9Pink wrapping)

The results are interesting to say the least.,,,

Here is the graph to start with....

sf85runtime.jpg

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/9473/sf85runtime.jpg

As expected the flashlight heated pretty much....7 Minutes into use, it started feeling rather hot where I was holding it of....Right at the 3rd battery extension! Needless to say that the head was so hot that gripping it would make a first degree burn.

I stopped for 5 minutes and dissasembled the light to cool....
I did this 3 more times. On the last one I noticed something stange...the negative battery poles were sticky!
It turns out that the solder blob I was using as positive nipple was melting! Had I gone further and let the light to cool as is, would make me a battery stick!

Safety Concerns....the batteries are matched triplets pulled from an unused laptop battery. They are monitored with a DMM, always and during the test they never got little bit warmer than when they are fresh from charging. I have seen NiMhs being hotter than this...

Some more data....Current draw was 3.32A at the start and when I stoped the test was 3.26A. Battery voltage at the end was 3.63 Volts.

Switch Performance

It held just fine....The repeated clicks went fine, and the switch spring was barely warm...The switch contacts are covered in hot melt glue and upon dissasembly I did not notice any signs of melting of....

So far so good....Kostas

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Funny you should mention that... I melted the +B solder blob on my ROP 3853-H PR lamp. I don't know how, but it killed the circuit.

mrartillery

Enlightened
Great testing! I can imagine that it did get fairly warm seeing at how small a head that the 1185 is in, it disperses heat rather well in a Mag head where there's more space for it to "breath". Also, that's pretty awesome that you were starting to melt the solder, you must have had some serious heat. :D

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Curious... theoretically does the current flow + resistive properties through the solder generate enough heat by itself to melt it?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious... theoretically does the current flow + resistive properties through the solder generate enough heat by itself to melt it?

it must be the resistance mainly.....battery body were nowhere near as hot to soldering temps....

BTW the body was actually the one in my sig....can you imagine hthe heat the teeth/petals captured? TOTALLY IMPRACTICAL