Max voltage for a P7?

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
I have a couple of 10.8 volt packs consisting of NIMH elite. The max for a P7 is 2800mah..so at 2000 mah I should be good in that department. They are 2000 mah 4/5A. I have taken the pack apart which consists of 4 unprotected 18,500's with a cardboard top with some resistors and stuff. So if I solder the wires to the contacts in the pack I should be good right? The pack that came with my magic shine was DOA(bad cell) and I live in a different country...so it is hard to get replacement parts.

The other option is...

the magicshine came with 4 unprotected 18500's(one is bad)
I have 8 AW 18500's for my elephant
I would rather use the 10.8 packs becuase I'm not using them for anything

I just want to be able to use my bike at night when it is cool enough to ride. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

COAST

Enlightened
Hmm.... If you're not planning on using a driver, 10.8 volts is WAY too much voltage for a P7 to handle safely. It all depends on the bin, but 3.7v is the norm.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Yeah at 10.8 volts I'm pretty sure it would flash then burn out.

Unless you use a heatsink like this

[hotlinked image removed - please read Rule 3. - DM51]

Last edited by a moderator:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure that'll be a big enough heatsink! :D

Bottom line... unless you intend to direct drive off 3 NiHM/NiCD cells you'll require some kind of electronic regulation ;)

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of 10.8 volt packs consisting of NIMH elite. The max for a P7 is 2800mah..so at 2000 mah I should be good in that department. They are 2000 mah 4/5A. I have taken the pack apart which consists of 4 unprotected 18,500's with a cardboard top with some resistors and stuff. So if I solder the wires to the contacts in the pack I should be good right? The pack that came with my magic shine was DOA(bad cell) and I live in a different country...so it is hard to get replacement parts.

The other option is...

the magicshine came with 4 unprotected 18500's(one is bad)
I have 8 AW 18500's for my elephant
I would rather use the 10.8 packs becuase I'm not using them for anything

I just want to be able to use my bike at night when it is cool enough to ride. Any thoughts?
---
You are mixing up current draw which is measured by Amp or mA with battery capacity which is measured by Amp/Hr or mAh
Battery capacity does not do anything with current draw directly.
Direct driving a P7 at 10.8 volt without any controller will fry it regardless of heat sinking.
You mentioned:

I have a couple of 10.8 volt consisting of NIMH
In this case, your each pack must have 9 cells connected in serial. (1.2x9=10.8)
Then you mentioned:

They are 2000 mah 4/5A. I have taken the pack apart which consists of 4 unprotected 18,500's
18500 is 18mm diameter with 50mm length while 4/5A is 17mm diameter with 44mm length.
If your pack of four serial is NiCad or NiMH, then total nominal voltage is 4.8 volt. (1.2x4=4.8)
If your pack of four serial is li-Ion, then total nominal voltage is 14.8 volt. (3.7x4=14.8)
I still don't know where is 10.8 volt coming from.