Fenix warranty regarding artifacts

ohGr

Newly Enlightened
So, recently my fenix PD30 R2 has gotten a ton of artifacts on the beam, it had never had any before a month ago. Dont know how it happened or why (defect maybe?). Is there a way to fix this myself? or would I have to send it over to Fenix for repair/service. Has anyone here dealt with Fenix warranty? It says on their website that the authorized dealer (Fry's electronics in my case) handles their warranty service. the light has about 7 months on it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a valid warranty why on earth try to fix it yourself?You bought it in good faith so let them sort it.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
This isn't meant to sound patronising, but have you given the glass a good clean? Otherwise I'd send it back as I can't think of anything else you can do yourself without voiding the warranty.

ohGr

Newly Enlightened
I called Fry's and was on the phone with them for 45 minutes, they kept transfering me to the wrong department! finally after getting transferred to the right department, I told the person over the phone about my situation and they said to bring it to them and that they would send it to the Fry's main HQ. Then he mentioned something about it being sent to the manufacturer (all the way to china?!). He said I would get it back from 8-12 weeks (wtf?) Thats a hell of a waiting period:ohgeez:, It would be nice if they just replaced it with a new one and RMA'd the old one.

cm_mtb

Enlightened
I called Fry's and was on the phone with them for 45 minutes, they kept transfering me to the wrong department! finally after getting transferred to the right department, I told the person over the phone about my situation and they said to bring it to them and that they would send it to the Fry's main HQ. Then he mentioned something about it being sent to the manufacturer (all the way to china?!). He said I would get it back from 8-12 weeks (wtf?) Thats a hell of a waiting period:ohgeez:, It would be nice if they just replaced it with a new one and RMA'd the old one.

Wow, that sucks big time. I can't offer any advice other than to order through 4Sevens next time. :)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of curiosity what kind of artifacts are you talking about, how is it different then when you bought it? The R2 PD30 is far from a good white wall hunter.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did the LED position change with respect to the reflector, possibly due to being dropped or bumped?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Ar you sure the artifacts weren't there all along and its just now that you are noticing them? Beam artifacts can come and go depending on how the light is used. Outdoors at farther distances they can wash out, as compared to indoors at closer range.

Frys has crappy CS (not much different than CC, BB...etc...)... I would not expect them to do anything.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ar you sure the artifacts weren't there all along and its just now that you are noticing them? Beam artifacts can come and go depending on how the light is used. Outdoors at farther distances they can wash out, as compared to indoors at closer range.

Frys has crappy CS (not much different than CC, BB...etc...)... I would not expect them to do anything.

That's what I was thinking because the PD30 R2 beam is deceptive, you would never see it outdoors but indoors close to a wall you can see what I can best describe as "swirls" right outside the hotspot and other weird looking artifacts but again you will not see any of this outdoors or even indoors at a distance.

Egsise

Banned
Ever been to a Fry's, or spoken to one of their employees? :rolleyes:
No, I live in country where I can deal directly with the Fenix importer, and if the light needs warranty service all the postage fees are paid by the importer.
And they don't send the lights to China for repairs, well they do but on those cases they just replace the light so that he customer does'nt need to wait for more than a few weeks. :twothumbs

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever been to a Fry's, or spoken to one of their employees? :rolleyes:

Haha...anyone that has ever been to Fry's Electronics knows *exactly* what you're talking about. :crackup: That was the very first thing that popped into my mind when I read that the PD30 was bought at Fry's.

I don't even bother wasting my time talking to anyone that works there. I won't even ask them what time it is...seriously!

Man I *really* miss Quement Electronics (R.I.P.) over on Bascom Avenue! :mecry: