An LED flashlight made out of Wood

HIDblue

Enlightened

http://imageshack.us

Just when I thought I've seen it all. I saw what was described as an "Eco-friendly" LED flashlight made out of WOOD at some shop in Los Angeles off of Melrose. And they're charging $50 for it!?!?!

I found the following description of it online:

"Wood Flashlight. Eco-friendly, this LED flashlight is a handsome home accessory and useful tool for dark dog walks or campfire stories. The end cap, which unscrews for easy battery replacement, houses the convenient on/off switch. It uses an energy efficient and bright LED bulb and requires 3 AA batteries, not included. Made of new growth beech wood, aluminum and rubber."

Only in California, but out of curiosity, does anyone actually have one of these???

Last edited:

FlameOn

Enlightened
I had one and used it to look for termites under my house....bad idea.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Going by how hot the head of my Malkoff light gets I'd say that ranks as one of the worst ideas I've seen.

rlorion

Newly Enlightened
Well, I think that light is more of a conversation piece than for every day use. Just imagine all the dings you would get after just one drop onto the concrete or pavement. :huh:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Save the trees!!... oh wait a minute, back to the drawing board.

**edit**
There are quite a few wood flashlights. Found this one for as little as $7

Last edited:

Just when I thought I've seen it all. I saw what was described as an "Eco-friendly" LED flashlight made out of WOOD at some shop in Los Angeles off of Melrose. And they're charging $50 for it!?!?!

I found the following description of it online:

"Wood Flashlight. Eco-friendly, this LED flashlight is a handsome home accessory and useful tool for dark dog walks or campfire stories. The end cap, which unscrews for easy battery replacement, houses the convenient on/off switch. It uses an energy efficient and bright LED bulb and requires 3 AA batteries, not included. Made of new growth beech wood, aluminum and rubber."

Only in California, but out of curiosity, does anyone actually have one of these???

And that isn't even GOOD wood. That looks pathetically poorly turned.

You want good wood, look at all the pen turning blanks. Some made out of mahogany burl, perhaps with a couple of inlays- something nice. That's a shop project for a kid learning to use a lathe.

Anyway....

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it probably floats.
naughty.gif

vasp1

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure I've seen that torch before.

Ah yes - in the first Rambo film where he's in some underground cave with a lot of rats.

He wraps the end of it with oil-soaked rags, then he lights the rags and - hey presto - it's a torch!

kito109654

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure I've seen that torch before.

Ah yes - in the first Rambo film where he's in some underground cave with a lot of rats.

He wraps the end of it with oil-soaked rags, then he lights the rags and - hey presto - it's a torch!

Oh wow, thanks for the laugh. :D

Monocrom

Flashaholic
There's a reason why large kitchen spoons are made out of wood. Wood won't heat up nearly as quickly as aluminum. So you can stir your food without burning your hands.

Wood flashlight means that all that built-up heat isn't going to transfer away from the LED. Heat won't bother an inca. lamp . . . completely different story with LEDs.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put the brightest, hottest LED in it and it's a battery-operated caveman torch... or fire-starter... after disposable flashlights, here comes the self-incineratable torch!