A green LED flashlight for use in nature?

BruceWillEs

Newly Enlightened
Due to the fact, that it's easier to get in high lumen/watt regions with green LEDs than with white LEDs, wouldn't it make sense to build and use green LED flashlights, especially in nature?

I know there are green filters on the market - but in my opinion they don't make sense, cause in the end they just reduce the lumen/watt ratio. Or am i wrong?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
higher watt\lm for greens is not entirely true. we had a thread on that.
human eye sees green light brighter than white of the same output, that is what i get from any reading on the subject.
i use green leds in my builds, for no other reason, than just for the hell of it. and why not.
most colors look screwed up in green light.
few loaners lights i got are green, most ppl don't care if it is green as long as it does the job,(illuminating an area) plus i see where the lights that i loaned are when they are in use. also ppl think it is cool, and different.

as for filters reducing output, yes they do.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have trouble seeing with one color, especially monochromatic color LED output. I think you'd be better served by a perhaps-less-efficient white light (neutral white) than a monochromatic of any color.

BruceWillEs

Newly Enlightened
- what does that mean "the tactical/police/spy stores all do a few"?

- is it true, that green LEDs can have higher lumen/watt than white ones, or not? Wikipedia says theoretical limit for green ones is app. 600 lumen/watt and for white ones app. 250 lumen/watt.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

- is it true, that green LEDs can have higher lumen/watt than white ones, or not? Wikipedia says theoretical limit for green ones is app. 600 lumen/watt and for white ones app. 250 lumen/watt.

The shops who supply mainly the security/police type of customers and the spy stores who supply wannabe 007,s.They sell no end of goodies as well as led lights.

BruceWillEs

Newly Enlightened
The shops who supply mainly the security/police type of customers and the spy stores who supply wannabe 007,s.They sell no end of goodies as well as led lights.

damn :D

what does mean "they sell NO END OF GOODIES as well as led lights?"

- of course i understand every single word, but for me being german with bad english skills, i don't get the meaning in the whole context.

i'm really wondering now if i am skilled enough to stay here or if i have to leave for a german forum.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
damn :D

what does mean "they sell NO END OF GOODIES as well as led lights?"

- of course i understand every single word, but for me being german with bad english skills, i don't get the meaning in the whole context.

i'm really wondering now if i am skilled enough to stay here or if i have to leave for a german forum.

You stay here,no better forum around and if I was still living in my favourite city Berlin I would still be here.:D

Ragiska

Flashaholic*

possible yes, but white led's currently have a higher efficacy than green, so white has the highest lm/W ratio.