They laughed, until.......

shipwreck

Enlightened
People don't get the flashlight thing... Not until the power goes out at work, and I'm the only guy with a flashlight :naughty::naughty::crackup:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: They laught, until.......

People try to steal all of mine :(

A had one guy offer to trade his M3 for my single mode E2DL. Looking back..

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
yaknow, that's only happened to me once.

Twice, if you count the class where it happened.

Both times, it was an A2 on low that came out (immediately). They giggled, nobody freaked. Maybe one of them put a Solitaire or Photon on their keychain.

Ronstar

Newly Enlightened
Funny thing is most people will inconvenience themselves with a EDC cell phone in their pocket all the time 'cuz "you never know when somebody will call!" And when the lights go out, they discover that the flourescent screen makes a temporary "flashlight" for 5-15 measly seconds before they have to turn it away to press a function button again to re-light it. But they are so proud that they can do this, aren't they? When questioned about carrying a "real" flashlight, they do the liberal dodge/side-step and say they don't really need one, or its too big or heavy; takes up my pocket space; don't wanna wear a pouch or holster ('cuz I don't wanna wear a belt); no room in my cavernous purse or briefcase; and on and on. The lame find endless excuses, but will quickly hold that flashlight for you when the lights go out. Then you have to constantly remind them of the 3 rules:
1. You don't need to keep lighting up my face, voice recognition works just fine.
2. Keep the hot-spot in the middle of the object of illumination.
3. Batteries don't last forever and they're not free either (pretend that these are your expensive lithium primaries).

Sigh...I'm afraid they will never get it :shakehead

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
That hasn't happened to me at work yet, but it did happen when I was in college. Half of the campus' power went out late at night and that included the six story parking garage where my truck was. It was pitch black in there. Everyone else was bumping their way to their vehicles, but I found my truck in no time thanks to my EDC Mini-Maglite that I had in a belt holster.

I still EDC that same Mini-Maglite, but it has been modified since then.

Brigadier

Enlightened
I keep an extra cheapo dorcy 'Tactical" triple AAA light in my desk drawer to loan out.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
they laughed, until...

until, i mentioned that it was the third time they come to loan my flashlight that day.

until, i showed it was on "low" mode.

until i told them it could run almost 2 whole days on that "low" mode.. and rest of their working day on the higher mode. without turning it off at all.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
they laughed, until...

until, i mentioned that it was the third time they come to loan my flashlight that day.

until i told them it could run almost 2 whole days on that "low" mode.. and rest of their working day on the higher mode. without turning it off at all.

:crackup::thumbsup:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
they laughed, until...

Out of curiosity, which light is that?

--flatline

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Non-flashaholics just don't "get it." I've been the subject of laughter too when some other people saw my EDC lights. I have had the last laugh every time when those exact same people are a stumblin' and a bumblin' in the dark while I'm perfectly fine with my LD20 in my hand. ;)

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a LF Seraph to aid a co-worker on a ladder, struggling to keep his balance and get a look at a damaged roof vent, using an arm-busting 18V DW work light.

His immediate reaction was; "No way!" Then I switched it on, from 15 ft below and blew the DW away. He gratefully passed the DW down and finished his inspection w/ the Seraph. He and several other maintenance workers had couvetous looks when I took the light back...

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Non-flashaholics just don't "get it." I've been the subject of laughter too when some other people saw my EDC lights. I have had the last laugh every time when those exact same people are a stumblin' and a bumblin' in the dark while I'm perfectly fine with my LD20 in my hand. ;)
the really silly part of that is, when the whole group is going to to a night hike
... I met such ppl at every night hike I visited in my life
:rolleyes:

PS: usually I do not use the lights, when there is enought light left (moon, ...). But in forest, it is dark.
Or in caves! Who is going to visit a cave and does not bring a light? Are these ppl really this dumb?
:thinking:

wolfy

Enlightened
I was recently getting a ribbing from my sister for the number of torches I currently have when the power went out at mums farm (high winds blew a tree onto some power cables).

From my pocket I pulled out an Ultrafire with 2x18650 and 200lumen PIL which she then used to continue cooking by (stove on gas). She then said she needs a few things from the pantry, I said no problem and pulled a Solarforce L2.

Then my other sister came in and said she needed to change my nephew, I went to my backpack and pulled out the Trustfire F22 for her.

As if that wasnt enough, someone mentioned the animals had not been fed yet, so I also pulled out my Legion II and went out to feed them and grab a couple oil lanterns. Little did they know I still had a Mag Mini (with 3W led upgrade) just in case.... :grin2:

True story, suffice to say the ribbing stopped, well at least till the power came back on an hour later. They all now carry around a few cheap but nice LED flashlights... :thumbsup:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
the really silly part of that is, when the whole group is going to to a night hike
... I met such ppl at every night hike I visited in my life
:rolleyes:

PS: usually I do not use the lights, when there is enought light left (moon, ...). But in forest, it is dark.
Or in caves! Who is going to visit a cave and does not bring a light? Are these ppl really this dumb?
:thinking:

You just answered your own question, and the evidence is in overwhelming support of your conclusion.

All instances like that really serves to do is just give you a gauge on just how unprepared society at large remains. Also serves as a good example that pulling out a light amongst a panic-stricken crowd in the dark would be equivalent to shouting fire in a crowded theater: You will get mobbed. They want out, they want your light and to hell with your well-being. We can't enforce even the most basic of preparedness, unfortunately. All you can do is use your good sense first and then your gear second.

Last edited: