Decided to drop the cash but made an ordering mistake

Kevzaz

Newly Enlightened
So after a little bit of research. I wanted a AA LED Flashlight with different modes and is good for camping and bright and long lasting. My decision was the fenix LD20. I went on amazon and ordered the wrong one... Just realized it now. I ordered the LD10. Is it worth going through the trouble of returning the flashlight? And would they have a problem with me trying the light first? I am so upset with myself. Finally gave in and this is what happens. Any other suggestions?

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
>>>"Finally gave in and this is what happens"

Totally unrelated. Ordering the wrong thing is just a mistake. Is it possible to cancel the order?

Many people here will say 'just get both.' You may be able to find a used unit in the CPF market place to reduce the financial cost.

entoptics

Enlightened
Perhaps the LD10 will be just as good as the LD20. If it's the newest R4 version, it's supposedly nearly as bright as the LD20 (with obviously reduced runtimes), but in a nice small package.

According to Selbuilt's review here, the LD10 is nearly as bright on max and runs for 1 hour vs the LD20's 1.5 hours. For all the other modes, the runtime is about double for the LD20.

So, if you carry a spare battery, maybe you would be happy with the 1xAA and be able to get almost exactly the same performance in a smaller package. In my experience with camping, the LD10 should have ample battery life for a night or 3, and you can swap in a new battery in a matter of seconds for another 2 or 3 days worth.

Either way, Amazon is very good about returns and such, so if you see the LD10 and don't like it, just send it back. Might cost you $5 in shipping, but you can chalk that up as a "pay attention next time" learning experience.

Kevzaz

Newly Enlightened
I called Amazon and they can't change it since its being shipped, but they said when the system registers it they will send a shipment box to return it. I ordered the LD20 so I guess I will get them at the same time. I will do some testing.

NightKids

Enlightened
I reckon you might even be happier with the LD10+. Self built's review, he was a lil dissapointed with the LD20+ but all praises for the LD10. The turbo mode on it is apparently quite noticable & good. I was thinking of getting one too, well see how you go & good luck!

Kevzaz

Newly Enlightened
I reckon you might even be happier with the LD10+. Self built's review, he was a lil dissapointed with the LD20+ but all praises for the LD10. The turbo mode on it is apparently quite noticable & good. I was thinking of getting one too, well see how you go & good luck!

interesting. Well, I guess I will have both soon. =p

NightKids

Enlightened
Either way you'll be happy. I have the LD20+ myself, the Q5 version and I use it regularly. I have the smooth reflector though so while the throw is good, it's a lil ringy.

I personally reckon that the build quality of Fenix is better than Quark. It just feels stronger and more sturdier.

Kevzaz

Newly Enlightened
Either way you'll be happy. I have the LD20+ myself, the Q5 version and I use it regularly. I have the smooth reflector though so while the throw is good, it's a lil ringy.

I personally reckon that the build quality of Fenix is better than Quark. It just feels stronger and more sturdier.
Thanks! I hope I am happy with it as well. But I am used to a 2d maglite so I hope it is brighter

Moving this to LED Flashlights...

It was in LED, then I couldn't find it for a day? Guess another mod moved it somewhere. Thanks for moving it back. Haha

entoptics

Enlightened
Thanks! I hope I am happy with it as well. But I am used to a 2d maglite so I hope it is brighter

Ummm...yeah...It will be a bit brighter than a 2D maglite. Like WAY [poorly-disguised expletive removed. - DM51] brighter...

Here's a timelapse video of beamshots that I made using a 3D maglite, a minimag and LEDs similar to what you will soon have in hand.

NiteCore D10 vs EagleTac P20A2 MKII vs MiniMag 2xAA vs 3D Maglite (Watch in 1080 full screen if possible)

Both of the Fenix LD lights will be quite similar, and fall between the EagleTac (slightly brighter than the LD20 with more throw/hotspot) and the NiteCore D10 (slightly dimmer than LD10 with similar beam).

As you can see, the Maglite 3D is not even in the same ball park as the LD series. I'm guessing (based on the Quark AA2 I've seen in person with similar stats to the LD series) that the Fenix lights will still be brighter than the 2D maglite on medium mode, and last about the same length of time.

Also, as you can see at the end of the video, a current regulated LED will maintain a constant brightness for nearly the entire quoted runtime, while the unregulated Maglites slowly dim over time.

Last edited by a moderator:

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
It's pretty easy to return with Amazon. Don't open the box. Write "Return to sender", and drop it back at the post office. That way you get a full refund.