LOST: Help me replace my favorite EDC

Nite

Enlightened
I Just discovered that the last time I saw my AA Jetbeam 1 MK IBS was 48 hours ago, when I played tennis and used it to find the balls after it got dark.. Its my favorite EDC Backup, it fit in my pocket nicely.

IM hoping it'll turn up but if I lost it outside the house no one is going to turn it into lost n found.

I recently got Version3 of this for a Customer, a corrections officer, she loves it, but its quite a bit larger than the original. I Dont like it as much as the one I had, as its bigger. However it is improved in other areas. Like runtime and brightness.

Im going to post on WTB on BST at CPFM, hoping to find a used one in good condition, but in the meantime id like to purchase a replacement for it.

heres the specs on the light I lost
pics and details , the review here
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/194877

Jet-I MK IBS Build/Runtime Comparison:
(hoping to get something like this)
Specification: (according to the Manufacturer)
LED: CREE 7090 XR-E (Q5 bin)
Max Output: 225 Lumens ("Torch Lumens")
Reflector: OP aluminum reflector
Lens: Sapphire crystal
Material: T6061 T6 aircraft aluminum alloy
Finish: HA III Military grade hard anodized
Battery: one AA battery or any other batteries of the same size
Input voltage: 0.7-4.2V
Switch: Reverse push button switch
Waterproof: Accord to IPX-8 standard
Dimension: Bezel diameter 21mm, Tail diameter 20mm, Overall length 91mm
Weight: 40g

heres runtime for the version 3 its longer by 9mm and its 20% heavier (10 grams more) Considering i just switched to lithium AA from AW14500P for a weight reduction in summer, 10 grams is alot.
Output & Runtime:
AA Battery
Max Output: 145 Lumens, lasting for 70 minutes;
Minimum Output: 2 Lumens, lasting for 50 hours;
Rechargeable lithium Battery
Max output: 240 lumens, lasting for 45 minutes; (the version 1 is only 225 for 30 minutes but still, smaller and lighter.).
Minimum Output: 2 lumens, lasting for 60 hours

I really liked the AA or 14500 voltage range and higher brightness with 14500, or lighter with lithium AA. It also had 3 Presets with memory. Infinite brightness settings, all from the one button.

I will keep you posted if I find it. I tried to find a smaller Jetbeam, I did, but its not as bright as it doesn't take 14500 I guess..

Im hoping you guys can help me find a suitable replacement in this AA size. Im not an expert on LED lights
I see a jetbeam that uses both AA and CR123, I dont yet know if it can use 14500 or RCR123 as I dont yet know its voltage range.
theres optional reflectors for version 3 as well. I really liked version 1 simplicity. Im going to order V3 from bugoutgear.com perhaps, or something else for "in the meantime"

thanks for any advice on a AA light like mine, or finding the same one...

Last edited:

BarryG

Enlightened
I have been using my Jet-1 Pro V.3 as my edc since I got it. I think it's a little larger than the one you lost but still very pocketable. Carries deep with the 2-way clip. Takes AA or 14500.
Check it out at B.O.G.

Barry

Nite

Enlightened
Perhaps this might be a suitable replacement?http://blackforce.stores.yahoo.net/rrt0.html

Can you tell me the differnce between the cool and warm emitters? Warm isnt as bright I suppose.:confused:

the cool one is on order, worth the wait? Its two years later how much better is this emitter than my lost jetbeam?

also which reflectors are those, SMO and OP? Smooth orange peel, and Orange peel, which is more flood and which is more throw?

its versatile....

Darn this isnt IBS, and it has no Strobe! and you must use two hands to change levels it looks like.

thanks again.

Last edited:

Nite

Enlightened
I have been using my Jet-1 Pro V.3 as my edc since I got it. I think it's a little larger than the one you lost but still very pocketable. Carries deep with the 2-way clip. Takes AA or 14500.
Check it out at B.O.G.

Barry

Im going to buy one of those in the meantime I think..I prefer the MK 1 still when placed side by side with the discontinued MK1 and the new V3

I will also keep looking...

thank you.

entoptics

Enlightened
NiteCore D10?

Doesn't have the infinite brightness, unless you happen to score a special edition left over, but even those don't have a user programming option.

It's the same size, or maybe a tad smaller, than your original JetBeam and can use 14500.

Not as bright on 14500, but good runtimes. Especially if V3.0 has similarly optimistic manufacturer runtimes when compared to "reality" in Selfbuilt's tests of V1.0, which are only 3/4 of what you quote in your OP (30 minutes manufacturer vs 22 minute Selfbuilt).

UpChUcK

Enlightened
Perhaps this might be a suitable replacement?http://blackforce.stores.yahoo.net/rrt0.html

Can you tell me the differnce between the cool and warm emitters? Warm isnt as bright I suppose.:confused:

the cool one is on order, worth the wait? Its two years later how much better is this emitter than my lost jetbeam?

also which reflectors are those, SMO and OP? Smooth orange peel, and Orange peel, which is more flood and which is more throw?

its versatile....

Darn this isnt IBS, and it has no Strobe! and you must use two hands to change levels it looks like.

thanks again.

I have the RRT-0 in R2 cool with the AA extender. It takes a single AA, 123, 14500 or 16340. Nice and bright on a 1.2-1.5V AA and is really bright on 3.0-3.6V LiIons. The level selector ring lets you choose the brightness before turning the light on and one hand operation is easy as the ring is not tight.
The low low is accessed by turning the ring to the next highest level and then back dow within a second or 2 and is nice and low but could be a bit lower. The separation in brightness levels is nice too.

I chose the OP reflector because I like smooth beams and it doesn't reduce throw much at all.

It is my EDC light along with a Quark Mini123 and ITP A3 EOS AAA. I also bought the JetBeam small holster for it and it is one of the nicest holsters I've seen or used.

I can easily recommend it in an EDC, backup or utility role.

entoptics

Enlightened
Anyone know definitively whether or not JetBeam is using OTF lumens in their output/runtime statistics?

Seems to me their numbers are awfully optimistic for OTF. Maybe the AA battery numbers are for high capacity cells and not LSD?

JetBeam RRT-0
  • CR123 and 14500 = 240 lumens for 45 min
  • AA battery = 180 lumens for 45 min

Either way, that RRT-0 looks like a sweet setup. Anytime you can access the brightness level you want before you turn it on is great.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
Anyone know definitively whether or not JetBeam is using OTF lumens in their output/runtime statistics?

Seems to me their numbers are awfully optimistic for OTF. Maybe the AA battery numbers are for high capacity cells and not LSD?

JetBeam RRT-0
  • CR123 and 14500 = 240 lumens for 45 min
  • AA battery = 180 lumens for 45 min

Either way, that RRT-0 looks like a sweet setup. Anytime you can access the brightness level you want before you turn it on is great.

Yes, JetBeam uses emitter ratings like so many others. Few actually use OTF numbers :shrug:. But yeah, JetBeams are still comparably bright.