Problems with a Jetbeam M1X

Tex S

Newly Enlightened
Just bought a new JB M1X. It is an incredible light, but there seems to be a problem with mine.

In max brightness mode (head screwed down tight) the light works flawlessly, but in user defined mode (head slightly loosened) the head becomes loose and sloppy and the light will flicker as if it is getting a bad connection. As the light flickers, it thinks that the user is trying to switch modes, so it will strobe, then be bright, then ramp, then blah blah blah. Its basically all over the place unless you hold it completely still.

I put some teflon tape around the threads that go into the head and it works much better now, but I am still experiencing some intermittent flickering when the light is shaken, sat on its head, or if I place one hand on the body and the other on the head and gently bend as if I am trying to break a stick. There is definitely some type of bad connection or short in the body to head connection. I am inclined to rule out the battery connection because the light will work fine in high output mode.

Does anyone know how the led module "knows" if the head is screwed in all the way or not? I have looked but I do not see a switch or contact point that lets the led know the position of the head.

Any ideas???

HKJ

Flashaholic
When the head is loose, the power is supplied through the threads, when tight the front end of the of battery tube connects to the driver pcb.

Tex S

Newly Enlightened
When the head is loose, the power is supplied through the threads, when tight the front end of the of battery tube connects to the driver pcb.

Thanks, that makes sense. I am wondering if the problem will go away if I find some larger diameter o-rings for the body. It just seems like there is too much slop when the head is loosened.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thanks, that makes sense. I am wondering if the problem will go away if I find some larger diameter o-rings for the body. It just seems like there is too much slop when the head is loosened.

I would clean the threads and apply some Deoxit.