Recommendations for a work light

customh

Newly Enlightened
I work at an oil refinery in inspection, and as such encounter some pretty nasty conditions for the clicky of most lights.
Needs to have a strong clip, and using mostly for close work, flood would probably be best.
Thinking Surefire L1, but don't know about Malkoff's MD2, if it would be a good fit. I'd like to get a Preon also, but don't know if it'd stand up to the conditions.

red02

Enlightened
How much light do you need?
For how long?
Whats the budget?
What type of batteries?

My initial suggestion is a G2 with a Novatac Clip and a XPG dropin...

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
It's larger than the ones you have mentioned, plus it's more a spot......but Pelican has a 2010 reflex led light with a very strong clip.
The biggest benefit of it is that it is explosion proof, which seems like something I may want if I worked at a refinery.

radiolove

Newly Enlightened
I work at an oil refinery in inspection, and as such encounter some pretty nasty conditions for the clicky of most lights.
Needs to have a strong clip, and using mostly for close work, flood would probably be best.
Thinking Surefire L1, but don't know about Malkoff's MD2, if it would be a good fit. I'd like to get a Preon also, but don't know if it'd stand up to the conditions.

I use a Surefire E1B everyday for close up work and inspecting. You've got a perfect interchangable clip on it and hi low beam. I even use the low setting alot for close up.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Barbolight T-04 ATEX

I guess you need a ATEX approved light? (Atmosphere Explosible)

SixM

Newly Enlightened
Barbolight T-04 ATEX

I guess you need a ATEX approved light? (Atmosphere Explosible)

That's what I was wondering. When I worked at Sunoil only certain approved flashlights were allowed.

customh

Newly Enlightened
Technically yes intrinsically safe is required, but not enforced. A vehicle or angle grinder is going to blow the place up way before my light.
Just decided to buy a couple lights and try them. I like the E1B, might have to try it.
So far an L1 is on it's way and a Preon is very close to being bought since I want something for the nomex front pen pocket at all times.

EDIT: red, budget is kind of a grey area. I just want a good light. Would like to use rechargeable 123's or something. 5 hour runtime on high would be fine. Definitely won't be using over 100 Lumens most of the time.

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
Take a look at the ET T20C2, it gets about 4.5hrs on RCRs and about 6 on 123s while running on 90lm. M60LL seems to fit the bill as well, you can run them in the non-conductive and very comfortable G-series. 8hrs on 80lm, but its only one mode.

Any particular reason you want to use RCRs and not 17670s or 18650s? You'll get better runtimes and have less stress on the batteries with fewer recharges. Plus I've heard stories about some Surefires and RCRs not getting along...

Last edited:

customh

Newly Enlightened
Was just thinking the 1 RCR would be nicer for size. My G2 isn't too bad though.