Best LED toolbox flashlight? What do you think?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
With my recent acceptance of a new job, at which, I can have no personal tools at all, I began to fantasize about having a decent flashlight to use at work.

But which one?
The first criteria of the light would be use in a shop environment, not out on the flightline where throw and extreme brilliance would be a consideration.
The second criteria is that it would be for tasks which are too much for the EDC, and too little for a drop light.

If I were able to use my own toolbox, I would be using a Streamlight Propolymer 3C LED, and a 4 AA LED. (The 4 AA, in places where the size of the light is a consideration.)

What do you guys use?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Best toolbox flashlight? What do you think?

An Arc LS second modded to 500mA with a 2xAA power pack.

CM

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

A SureFire L4 (KL4), an Arc LSH-P, or a Streamlight TL-2 ought to do alright banging around in a toolbox, and be reliable enough to use as an everyday worklight and bright enough to let you see what you're doing. Be sure your co-workers don't steal them though.

Just my 2¢. Your results may vary.

steve_vance

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
A SureFire L4 (KL4), an Arc LSH-P, or a Streamlight TL-2 ought to do alright banging around in a toolbox, and be reliable enough to use as an everyday worklight and bright enough to let you see what you're doing. Be sure your co-workers don't steal them though.

Just my 2¢. Your results may vary.

[/ QUOTE ]
for what it's worth, the elevator repair guys at my office building saw several of my LED lights, and decided they needed LED lights for work. So I gave them a whole sack of lights to try out; everything from PT attitude to Pelican to Dorcy to you name it. They came back after some "field testing" and each of them ordered an SL 4aa-7 led.
Their reasons: chemical-resistant polymer (not true of steel or aluminum), light weight (ditto), the ability to bounce( lol), the use of commonly available batteries, good brightness,and last but not least, the SL lifetime warranty.
For what it's worth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use a Mini LGI with McFlood reflector at work,
It does not sit in my tool box, more like on my bench and is very bright with a smooth beam. The little 3AAA light can take a hard hit and still lights with no problem. Actually fell out of a third story window and still works.
If I was going to do Lithiums, I would agree with Wayne on the L4...I still waver when I see one.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

What Steve said... The SL 4AA7LED is very difficult to beat as a work light; large flood, inexpensive, tough, etc.

We had a leak problem under my house recently. My step-son asked me for the best light I had for the task; he got the 4AA7Led. Then had the audacity to take the durn thing with him. You gotta watch these un-paid workers..........

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was thinking a great all-around work light would be the Streamlight TwinTask 3C, modified with a BadBoy 750 & 5 W luxeon.
I wonder what the throw would be like with the 5 mm LEDs in the reflector.
Also, I hear that the LEDs aren't as bright as the 4 AA LED. Perhaps a BadBoy 400 or Wizard 330 could drive the 5 mm LEDs, as well.
A dual regulated TwinTask. Hmm...

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

shankus,

The first question is, what job will you be doing? Its hard to make recommendations without knowing what tasks you'll be facing on a daily basis. Case in point, will the light be exposed to chemicals that may be detrimental to the body or lens? Is there an explosive vapor hazard? Will the beam of the light have to compete with ambient lighting? Do you have to provide the batteries or will they be provided by your employer? Will you be performing tasks where the light may be lost or damaged? Are there any constraints on the size of the light, such as having to perform inspections in confined areas? The list goes on from there. Anyway, just some stuff for you to think about. Later.

Dan

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, for me, having my own tools at work is out of the question completely. I am stuck with incandescent 2 & 3 D mags and Brinkmann Legends.

I was asking what LED lights you guys use in your toolboxes, when you have a choice.

As before:
Criteria are the light would be use in a shop environment (well lit), not out on the flightline where throw and extreme brilliance would be a consideration.
And the second criteria is that it would be for tasks which are too much for the EDC, and too little for a drop light.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

First thing I thought of was the Surefire G2, then I re-read the part about LED's.

That Streamlight 4AA - 7 LED job sounds interesting maybe I'll have to check that out.

Personally I really like the form/shape of the 4-AA lights, compact slim easy to slide into the rear pocket. I like my Stealthlight 4-AA quite a bit, only wish they hadn't such as narrow beam.

GregR

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Double A- I like that form factor too, the 4AA7LED is a great work light.

I am more and more going towards all LEDs, from the SL TL-3, TL-2 LED, the aforementioned 7LED; they cover much of the needs for a light except perhaps, the extreme lumens Tactical light.

My TL-3 LED may serve that purpose. At tight focus, it'll fry your eyeballs.

b2eze

Newly Enlightened

I've used a 2 "C" cell Maglite, 1 watt luxeon conversion with a Micropuck boost for about 6 months now and just recently added an arc LSL-P with the 2 AA battery pack and a LSH-P for my pocket(both ARCs are seconds and bargains of the century!) The Maglite, being larger is easier to find when I have to climb back under the equipment to retrieve it! Both it and the ARCS could benefit fron an add-on anti-roll adapter of somwe sort.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got two flashlights on/in my toolbox out in my shop. A Surefire G2 for when I need something really bright, and a Minimag with a Badboy 500 in it for when I need something a little more subtle.

-Keith

ksbman

Flashaholic*

If I couldn't use any of my rechargeable lights at work, the flashlight I would use would be one of Elektro Lumens' Blasters.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I don't have a "toolbox" light per say.

My Truck is my Toolbox! And my "toolbox" lights include:

Sl Stinger HP plugged in on the center hump, Rayovac 2D Industrial in door, SL 3C TT in door, often Peli M7 Rechargable in door, >brand escapes me right now - perhaps Coleman< 4D Wide Beam Area light on rear floorboard...

And whatever I have on my person that day, ALWAYS ARC AAA, and either Madmax Mini, SL 1L TT, or PT Blast (so far).

Right now, if I had to choose something I own to go in a toolbox, I think it would be my SL 3C 10LED. Rugged, pretty nice wide bright beam. I just ain't super thrilled with push tail momentary/twist head continous switching... clickie would be better I'm sure!

steve_vance

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I just ain't super thrilled with push tail momentary/twist head continous switching... clickie would be better I'm sure!

[/ QUOTE ]

New models (as of approx 3 months ago) have clickie tail switch FYI /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BF Hammer

Enlightened
For task lighting of machinery that I'm working on, I have a company-issued 2AA MiniMag in my tool kit, with an Opalec module that I installed. I tend to reach for my Arc LSH-S that I keep in my pocket more often though. I do like the fairly even illumination of the Opalec, and no need to focus the light. The Arc LS is really good to use in tight spots where I can set the light inside a machine and it is out of the way of my hands. I take the Arc AAA off of my keychain for extra-tight spots.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I use a beat-up minimag with a Badboy 400 and an Inova x5T. The Inova isn't as bright, but it's tougher, waterproof and you can use the old batteries from incan. lithium lights.

mahoney

Enlightened
My tool belt lights are an ARC LS1 with a 2AA twisty, or a mini-mag with an Opalec. My work EDC, for all the jobs that don't require a tool belt, is/are an ARC LS1 with a McFlood and an ARC LS-H on a double-ended 123 battery pack. I've found 2AA or 1@123 lights to be bright enough for most tasks.