DIY Copper Style LED Painting Illuminator

jason 77

Enlightened
You need to use "enameled copper wire a.k.a. magnet wire" for the project. It has a clear resin coating on the outside as insulation, so you won't create a short circuit.

Yeah it's the same stuff they use in winding of a transformer, if you have a old transformer you might be able to unwind it and use that wire if you didn't want to buy the magnet wire your self...

claustro

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys I didn't know the term "enameled".
Can you tell me if I can use one enameled wire and one galvanized wire for each led?
I have problems finding wires big enough to stay up by themselves

Last edited:

jason 77

Enlightened
Thank you guys I didn't know the term "enameled".
Can you tell me if I can use one enameled wire and one galvanized wire for each led?
I have problems finding wires big enough to stay up by themselves

Even with this being a low voltage set up "12 volts" I would stay away from that idea, instead I would use 3 wires two of the magnet wires and a thicker coper or aluminum wire for stiffness. The thicker piece wouldn't be connected to anything electrically but just be their for stiffness.

claustro

Newly Enlightened
Even with this being a low voltage set up "12 volts" I would stay away from that idea, instead I would use 3 wires two of the magnet wires and a thicker coper or aluminum wire for stiffness. The thicker piece wouldn't be connected to anything electrically but just be their for stiffness.

You are right! great idea , can you tell me the minimum suggested thick for the copper wire?
The led I would like to use will be drived at about 300mA..
Thank you very much for your help:thanks:

jason 77

Enlightened
You are right! great idea , can you tell me the minimum suggested thick for the copper wire?
The led I would like to use will be drived at about 300mA..
Thank you very much for your help:thanks:

What LED are you planing on using?! The ones the guy uses in his instructable are only your cheap ebay 5-10 mm ones, which at the max for the 5 chip guys are like 100mA.

claustro

Newly Enlightened
I am planning to use this one driven at about 350mA
http://ledsupply.com/xreww-l1.php

# Warm-White XR-E Cree Emitter Features: 73.9 lm @ 350mA
# 1000mA - Max Drive Current
# 3.3Vf - Typ. Forward Voltage @ 350mA
# 2900K - Color Temperature
# Lambertian Radiation Pattern

Illum

Flashaholic
you'll need heavy duty copper wires to hold those LEDs up as you'll need to set them on a heatsink even with 100ma:ohgeez:
in fact, if you are going to use those see if you can find suitable heatpipes:naughty:

claustro

Newly Enlightened
If I understand I'll need another type of led if I don't want to use heat sink....right?

I would like to use the one I stated 'cos they are laying around in my basement with no use :)

Illum

Flashaholic
well, most high powered LEDs [>1W] will require some sort of heatsink, but depending on the drive current an adequate heatsink can range from a 3oz aluminum slug to a 3 pound extruded heatsink with fins;)

the instructables used high gauge copper wire instead of anything heavy duty is because 5mms don't have much weight and does not require a heatsink. If you are planning to use a higher powered LED much of the materials used on the instructables are then out of specifications.

If it was me I'd just mod LEDs into a existing incandescent painting light, but thats just me:duh2:

claustro

Newly Enlightened
If it was me I'd just mod LEDs into a existing incandescent painting light, but thats just me:duh2:

Mhmm...good idea, I could use 2 or 3 20W mr11/mr8 spot...easier.
Thank you ...maybe my leds will stay in my basement for a little while.
Can you tell me the gauge of the wire I have to buy if I'll go with the mr11 option?

THANK YOU ALL!!!

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic

claustro

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking along the lines of fitting a aluminum bar inside one of these
http://www.residential-landscape-lighting-design.com/store/images/HTR_SlimSL.jpg
and using your XREs in them:)

yes I was thinking something similar too , but I would like to keep a more alternative design. at the end I don't want the "classic" light for painting
This is the painting the light is for:)

dsc6370small.jpg

Instead I am planning to use the leds for another light similar to this
795501br.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts