MG P-Rocket SST-50 Vs. TK40

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Okay, I already have the TK40 and use it every night at work but i'm getting tired of the size of it being in my back pocket. It was awesome at first and I really didn't mind the size because the output made up for that. The question here is..... is the MG P-Rocket SST-50 LED Flashlight comparable in brightness to the TK40?:confused: I really like the size of the MG and think it would be more comfortable in the pocket. THANKS!!

Jay611j

Enlightened
Interesting light, although I don't think it would compare to the TK40. I could be wrong though. I have the TK40 and by looking at some of the beam shots of the MG P-Rocket, It doesn't look as bright IMO. Maybe someone has both of these lights and can chime in?

:popcorn:

tolkaze

Enlightened
Even though the P-rocket is rated at 800 + Lumens, it seems to me to be closer to 500ish lumens. Also, because of the smaller reflector and the relatively large emitter, it is more floody, and way less throwy than something like the TK40. Still a great light, but you can't compare them, since they are for different purposes.

What do you need the light for?

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a smaller version of the TK40, you might want to keep an eye on the new Sunwayled M40A. It has the same Cree MC-E LED as the TK40, but it only operates on 4 AA batteries, hence it's not as long. There is some more information on it here:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/sunwayled-m40a.html

I'm anxiously waiting for some CPF member reviews of the M40A.

vvs

Newly Enlightened
P-Rocket has 1/3 lux @1m compared to TK40, and not intented for throw. For throw there's another model - X-Thrower with big reflector.
TK40 has better UI, more output, flat driver (MG driver is linear regulation, so output will fall quickly when battery discharged) and better runtime. But P-R is half price of TK40.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
I don't have a TK40, but I have the P-Rocket. It puts out a very impressive amount of lumens for such a small package. People have said that it is not throwy, and it is true that it does not have a tight beam. It has a huge 'wall-of-light' beam with a buttery smooth transition from spot to spill. It probably doesn't reach as far as a dedicated thrower, but the beam still gets out there and lights up everything in it's path. Also, the three levels are very well spaced out. It may not be as impressive as the TK40, but it is a very usable light in it's own right.

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Even though the P-rocket is rated at 800 + Lumens, it seems to me to be closer to 500ish lumens. Also, because of the smaller reflector and the relatively large emitter, it is more floody, and way less throwy than something like the TK40. Still a great light, but you can't compare them, since they are for different purposes.

What do you need the light for?

I work in a large 500,000+ sq ft. shipping warehouse and up in the catwalks in the second floor the lighting is very poor and there are lots of obstacles in the mezzanine levels so flood would be okay. I just need something small to light up the area well.

@Locoboy5150, that is a pretty nice looking light! Thanks for the link.

Thanks guys for the responses!:twothumbs

Last edited:

my#1hobby

Enlightened
How about the lumapower d-mini ultra vx?
I wonder how the Lumapower would compare to the MG SST-50? I'm just looking at the $ factor here, I really don't want to go over $70 on this round. There are many new high power lights coming out and they are getting smaller and smaller. I wish I could buy them all! :banghead:

CM2010

Enlightened
Ive got the neutral white MG-P-Rocket and dont really rate it at all,my D-Mini Ultra VX on the other hand i love it.For its compact size it really does put out alot of light.

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Ive got the neutral white MG-P-Rocket and dont really rate it at all,my D-Mini Ultra VX on the other hand i love it.For its compact size it really does put out alot of light.
Ah yes, I just took a look at some of your beam shots compared to the M20 and I see your point on the MG's output. D-Mini added to my list of possibles. Thanks!:thumbsup:

apontes

Newly Enlightened
If you want a smaller version of the TK40, you might want to keep an eye on the new Sunwayled M40A. It has the same Cree MC-E LED as the TK40, but it only operates on 4 AA batteries, hence it's not as long. There is some more information on it here:

Had never even heard about Sunwayled before. They seem well made, but quite expensive too.

So they have a short Fenix TK40-like light and a Eagletac M2-like one. hmmm...

AlphaZen

Enlightened
Thanks for the link. It looks to me like the P-Rocket is putting out more overall light and more usable light, unless you are looking for a thrower. The M20 certainly has a brighter hotspot, however, so it is a question of whether you want to light up everything in front of you or have a beam of light shooting from your hand.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now there's the 4 AA TK-40 that everyone was asking for!

I wonder how the Lumapower would compare to the MG SST-50? I'm just looking at the $ factor here, I really don't want to go over $70 on this round. There are many new high power lights coming out and they are getting smaller and smaller. I wish I could buy them all! :banghead:

$70? You'll soon wonder into the world of higher priced and higher power lights! You have been warned! :crazy: :devil:

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Thanks for the link. It looks to me like the P-Rocket is putting out more overall light and more usable light, unless you are looking for a thrower. The M20 certainly has a brighter hotspot, however, so it is a question of whether you want to light up everything in front of you or have a beam of light shooting from your hand.
You're welcome. Yes, it does look a little brighter in the sidespill but isn't what I expected. I'm wondering if the MG cool version is any better.

Jay611j

Enlightened
I'm wondering if the MG cool version is any better.
The more I read about this MG P-Rocket the more I like it. Now that I think about it....I'm in need of a new small SST-50 light because I don't have one yet.:D I think I'll raid the old coffee can for change and pick one up! Thanks My#1hobby for posting this thread, you just cost me more money!:shakehead j/k

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
What aspect of the TK40 rubs you the wrong way? (figuratively speaking)

How about a TK30, much thinner, and shorter. (without the extension)