MC-E'd U2 by AaronM! (with beamshots)

Enlightened
A while ago I was on the hunt to find someone to mod my U2. No one was available to do the mod or the requests were totally ignored. I was tipped off here to seek help from our very own member AaronM. After a few emails my U2 was shipped off.

Here she is!!

All I know is that it's neutral tinted (as requested). The emitter has a ring of frost around it. I'm assuming that's to help the beam pattern. I'm not totally sure but it's visible. Definitely much brighter than stock, obviously. Low is still low and all levels work. :thumbsup: I'll get beam shots tonight.

34zftci.jpg

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Re: MC-E'd U2 by AaronM!

He does good work. Made an MC-E neutral L4 for me with that same frosted ring. Totally kills the artifacts but not the throw potential.
:D

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Niiice! Looking forward to the beam shots. Think you could post a rough cost estimate? I understand if you'd rather defer that to AaronM.

Enlightened

Niiice! Looking forward to the beam shots. Think you could post a rough cost estimate? I understand if you'd rather defer that to AaronM.

Just PM him for an estimate.. I can assure you it's not as much as you think. I was surprised myself! ;)

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just PM him for an estimate.. I can assure you it's not as much as you think. I was surprised myself! ;)

Will do. :thumsbup: How much brighter (roughly) than stock do you think it is? Does it still have some throw?

Enlightened

Will do. :thumsbup: How much brighter (roughly) than stock do you think it is? Does it still have some throw?

Well according to BigC's chart, a modded U2 with a warm MC-E (also by AaronM) is making around ~300 lumens out the front after a minute plus of being continually on. I'm ASSuming here that the neutral tint I have should be around the same, if not slightly more. It's still way more than stock (~110+ lumens OTF). I'm satisfied.

It still has it's decent throw and spill. I want to say it's almost the same as stock, just brighter.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lucky for you guys AaronM sent me a sample of his fine work too.

The U2 mod he does is awesome. The modes and everything else works like stock. Surprisingly the current was only 1A at the tail:thumbsup:

Surefire U2 Ultra_________MC-E Warm________2 Surefire CR123__________351.5______1 sec____197________4,925_____
AaronM custom___________________________Uses Stock Driver________ 316.9______30 sec________________________

__________________________________________________ ______________309.2______1 min_________________________
___________________________________________1A at tail_____________ 308.5______2 min_________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________306.2______3 min_________________________

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast

The U2 mod he does is awesome. The modes and everything else works like stock. Surprisingly the current was only 1A at the tail:thumbsup:

Not sure how your testing works BigC, but did the output level out around 300 or did it continue to fall at the same rate? Also, would you expect a neutral tint to put out a few more lumens like the OP and myself speculate?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not sure how your testing works BigC, but did the output level out around 300 or did it continue to fall at the same rate? Also, would you expect a neutral tint to put out a few more lumens like the OP and myself speculate?

After 3 min most lights settle down and if they are regulated the output stays relatively stable, so I only do up to 3min.

I don't have AaronM's U2 MC-E anymore to test out to say 15min. sorry.

bigC

Enlightened

As a standard disclaimer, the camera does NOT do the light justice. At least you get an idea of how it looks.

It's still light outside so I took a wall shot for now.

AaronM modded U2 with neutral MC-E
2ahwpjl.jpg

Oveready Triple XPG neutral (regulated) for grins. :nana:
iqbmki.jpg

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Surefire U2 Ultra_________MC-E Warm________2 Surefire CR123__________351.5______1 sec____197________4,925_____
AaronM custom___________________________Uses Stock Driver________ 316.9______30 sec________________________

__________________________________________________ ______________309.2______1 min_________________________
___________________________________________1A at tail_____________ 308.5______2 min_________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________306.2______3 min_________________________

Those are GREAT efficiency numbers... 84 Lumens / Watt

One of my under driven P7 / 18650 lights measured a little over 300L in your sphere... But it needs 1.5A at the tailcap to get it, net efficiency is only 48 Lumens/Watt.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Nice pics. I've considered the mod for my Lux V U2, that I run with one 18650. Sort of torn, cause I probably get about 120 lumens on high, compared to other LED lights I own, using bounce with lightmeter. 120 does not sound high, but it works just great at up close distances, and of course the low modes make it really nice too. Runtime is excellent, and CR123 for back up. I certainly would not like 3X the light on lowest level, and the mod probably does not do that, but would be nice to see lux measurements at all 6 levels.

Bill

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is there any noticeable donut/dim spot in the center of the beam? Can't be 100% sure from the pics.

Enlightened

You can sort of see the "X" of the MC-E but it's not bad. If you're fixated on it you can definitely pick it out. I tend to move my beam around so it's not a big issue to me. Take that back, it's not an issue period. Stationary or moving.