iTP twisty switch problem

torchfreak

Newly Enlightened
I have bought a number of iTP A2's & A3's -some for family use, some for gifts. Only now I'm not so sure I want to give them as gifts...

The mode change with the twisty switch with the two A2's we are using is best described as "flakey". It works fine half the time, but jumps a step the other half of the time.
This is the same with two separate lights. I have pulled them apart and cleaned them with methylated spirits and a toothbrush. Taken out the spring, cleaned it and the tube. Cleaned the threads, then used Vaseline to grease them, (same result as with no grease) even tried different batteries.

Am I doing something wrong, or expecting too much from a relatively cheap light?

bjt3833

Newly Enlightened
I thought it was a general consensus Vaseline was a terrible light lubricant. There is a thread called the comprehensive Grease and lube thread in the general flashlight forum that has all that info if you want to read it for yourself.

I assume your lights are skipping modes because as they are being tightened they are also being pressed on. Causes low to flash on and it loses connection during tightening. There isn't a twisty in the world with multiple modes that this can't be recreated on due to thread play. Some people like it as a fast way through modes. It can be avoided if you just twist instead of squeeze while twisting.

If this isn't what you are talking about then I misunderstood.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I just mentioned this possible fix in another thread. Make sure the end of the battery tube is also cleaned. In cases of mode skipping it would be a good idea to lightly sand the tube end.

Geoff

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try some silicone Plumbers tape on those threads to reduce some of the wobble and looseness of the threads , causing double quick connections.

It also may switch modes more reliably with the O-ring removed and just using plumber tape .
~

torchfreak

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, for your responses.
Since posting this I found that comprehensive grease and lube thread - it is excellent. I have bought some 100% silicone lube, (Finish Line) and replaced the Vaseline. It seems some damage was done to some o-rings already - probably serves me right for not searching enough here first :ohgeez:
I did already spend hours, but didn't find the right info in time for this.

Anyway the iTP o-rings seem fine.

One of my A2's problems were solved by cleaning, stretching the spring, sanding & lubing -works fine now. The other one remains finicky despite this. :(

I might give that Plumbers tape a go, thanks TooMany.

I have several more, still in boxes - so my fingers are crossed with those!