Fenix TK40 updated

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was cruising through the Fenix website this morning and I noticed that the TK40 now has a new body style:

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=94

Note that the TK40 now uses what appears to be the same black plastic battery carrier that the new TK45 uses. I don't know if that's good or bad as I haven't seen that battery carrier in person yet. (My TK45 is due to arrive at my door sometime today.) One of the things that I liked about my TK40 though was the sturdy battery carrier and now Fenix got rid of it. Truth be told though, the original battery carrier did have its share of problems with the nuts coming loose on several CPF members' lights.

I don't know about the new exterior of the body tube though. In all the TK40 reviews and comments that I've read from fellow TK40 owners, not once can I remember anyone complaining about the shape of the body tube's exterior. It certainly never bothered me.

What do you guys think about the changes? Good or bad?

recDNA

Flashaholic
You disappointed me. I was hoping for an SST-50 upgrade. The new battery carrier is a downgrade. One less reason to purchase what is now an outdated model IMO.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Isn't the TK45 an 8S carrier and the TK45 a 4S2P?

Did they change the TK40 to an 8S?

Generally I am not a fan of plastic multi-cell carriers, there are more bad ones out there than good ones. Whether or not this one for the TK40 is good or bad remains to be proven.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't the TK45 an 8S carrier and the TK45 a 4S2P?

Did they change the TK40 to an 8S?
[...]

I think they might have, I don't see any reference to being able to use just 4 batteries.

Default output is now turbo with no reference to last mode memory.

Seems like they might have changed more than just looks.... or is it just missing information???

(EDIT)

Just saw that it still has the memory function..... phew! I was worried for a minute!

Last edited:

357mag1

Enlightened
What do you guys think about the changes? Good or bad?

In this day and age when ever something is new and improved or updated it means they found a way to make it cheaper (not more efficiently, just cheap). That generally means you are getting an inferior product and this seems to be case!!!

1anrm

Enlightened
When I saw the new battery carrier am not so thrilled, doesn't look much like an upgrade to me. I LOVE my 'old' TK40 Muahhahahaha.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Side note.... They really should make the 8AA carrier available for sale separately... especially now that it appears to be all plastic and incapable of being DIY repaired. Fenix already has a great www-retailer network (BJ, LH, 4-7...etc...) already set up to cater to the high end crowd, who want/need backup and replacement parts. A backup/extra cell caddy would certainly lessen the impact of one of the lights known weaknesses.

**EDIT**
While I am not fond of plastic multi-cell carriers... I will give Fenix the benefit of doubt on this one, and hope that it is better than its predecessor.

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Err...I am expecting my TK40 back from Fenix after a reflector issue. I hope they just don't send me a new one intead of fixing the one I bought.

Another CPFer I know got sent a whole brand new light simply because the tail switch was playing up, and it would be a much easier fix than a reflector.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to have another TK40 (original model) battery carrier to make battery changes much easier when out hiking or on the go with my TK40.

After you guys mentioned the battery configuration differences between the TK40 and TK45, I noticed on the Fenix website that there is no mention of the TK40 being able to also use just 4 AA batteries. It used to say that. That little omission makes me suspect that this is indeed the same 8S battery carrier from the TK45. The 4 battery option was one of the selling points for when I bought my TK40.

If this is indeed the case, bad move Fenix! :thumbsdow

Also, yes it's true that in the torture test there were no problems with the original TK40 battery carrier coming loose, but there have been several reported cases of that indeed happening with other TK40s. It uses regular threaded nuts and those do have a habit of coming loose in other applications, so I can see why Fenix chose to get rid of them for this updated model.

The bottom line is that I'm *so* glad that I bought my TK40 when I did so it doesn't have the new battery carrier.

recDNA

Flashaholic
This is a link to a torture test of a TK40 by throwing it around and basically trying to bust it, he couldn't. The batteries failed before the mechanics of the light did. He froze it, boiled it and abused it.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/233856
I was impressed

It's part of the reason I bought one. Never regretted it. Most expensive flashlight I own. I've purchased more expensive ones but either sold or returned them all for one reason or another.

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
Knurling change is Good. :thumbsup:

I sure hope Fenix uses high quality plastic for the carriers.
Maybe they should state what kind of plastic they use on their site.
Does Fenix read this forum? Are you listening?

My Sam's Club Element brand flashlight had plastic carriers which after 2 years began to disintegrate and break apart by itself!:mecry:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
After playing with my brand new TK45 and inspecting it up close tonight, I'm beginning to know it fairly well. I already have likes and dislikes about it and I'll post about those in another thread that will directly compare it to my TK40.

One things that I'll spill the beans about and admit that I do like on the TK45 is its knurling. It is much tackier than the rhombic knurling that's on the TK45 without being too rough. It just feels great!

Oh, and the TK40's new black battery carrier is slightly different than the TK45's battery carrier. The main black plastic body portion on mine sure looks identical to the one on the TK40 website but the contact on the bottom must be different because the TK40 is the only one with a tailcap switch. The body of the TK45 does not conduct electricity at all. The dimensions of the contacts (mainly the diameter) on the top of the two carriers are also different.

The TK45's battery carrier is definitely flexible. I can grasp each end of it with each hand and twist it a little bit, which I cannot do with the TK40's carrier. That flexibility may allow the black one to absorb shock better, but I wonder if the plastic will become brittle with time and thus crack easier. The metal bars on the TK40's carrier will never become brittle.

The battery carrier of my original TK40 was *very* impressive when I first got the light. It was, by far, the most durable feeling battery carrier that I've ever come across so far. I honestly cannot say the same about my new TK45's battery carrier. Simply put, the TK40's battery carrier is impressive and feels good in my hands. That cannot be said for the TK45's battery carrier in my opinion. Both carriers do their job well though and they hold Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries snugly. They also both have the same outer diameter.

I suspect that the new redesigned TK40 uses the same black plastic battery carrier body as that which comes with the TK45, but it has different top and bottom contacts. Those would be very easy to change because they are just simply screwed into place.

Last edited: