maglite doner?

Nuclear Cowboy

Newly Enlightened
I'm gather parts for my 1st build and have a question about suitable Maglites for my application.

I notice they sell a regular and a LED version now. Is one more suitable for a doner than the other? anything else I need to look for?

Thanks,
NC

Last edited:

Mettee

Enlightened
I would just get the cheapest one to be honest. They will all work...the newer ones may have the stupid torx screw you cant get out though, so look for that. But they will all work, some more effort than others.

mrartillery

Enlightened
I would just get the cheapest one to be honest. They will all work...the newer ones may have the stupid torx screw you cant get out though, so look for that. But they will all work, some more effort than others.

+1, LED version is basically a incan model with a LED pill installed if I'm not mistaken.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I notice they sell a regular and a LED version now. Is one more suitable for a doner than the other? anything else I need to look for?

Thanks,
NC
get regular one, most of the conversion parts sold are made for regular incandescent,
old type leds are basically regular incandescent with a pr based led instead of bulb. those would suite your needs, but they are like $10 more than regular, there is no point to get them, i actually had to find old type led 4d gray for my build, since there is no 4d gray incandescent. it cost me $40
new leds 2 and 3 d are made as leds from the start, using rebel leds. their front tube dimensions are different, also the head is a bit longer and reflector is deeper. switch is also different, so is relative position of the switch to the end of the tube.
i doubt retrofits like heatsinks, and reflector (witch are made for converting regular inc. lights) will fit right and work as designed in rebel led lights. however new rebel head might fit on old inc tube, new deep reflector works a lot better with leds that old style reflector.
as for new screw, no big deal, we have a thread on this subject, there is an easy way to remove it, and replace it.

Last edited:

jarekdadej

Newly Enlightened
If you are going to use stock reflector with your mod the better choise will be new rebel mag. It has reflector designed for led's so is more efficient. With regular ican you have to position led in the middle of the reflector so you loose some of the reflecting surface.
This is just from my experience but someone correct me if i am wrong.
For the new switch with torx #8 - just go to any hobby store and you can get one for cheap.
How are you going to mod it? XP-G, P7, sst(r)50 or 90?

Last edited:

Mettee

Enlightened
He(DW) is releasing his new heatsink that will work with the REBEL LED MAGLITE soon. Maybe wait for him to start selling, cause that will be a sick combo. The rebel reflector will really add to the beam quality, shape, and output.

I can really give the recommendation on that set up.

The first version will be for the 50, but he said he is also making the heat sink for the 90.

jarekdadej

Newly Enlightened
If you do not want to wait for heatsink you can ask someone at local CNC shop to make you one that can take the SSR-90 (star) instead of SST-90 (bare emmiter). I mesured internal diameter of my 3D rebel Mag - it is 1.350 inches