Another old-school re-build: Arc LS XP-G

spc

Enlightened
I love re-building these Arcs... The Body on this one is one piece -not with the removable bezel like the first runs.

For this build I chose a neutral cree XP-G (3a r4) nice 5000k color :drool:

I wanted to use the stock board for great runtime.

Here are the parts:
The board was already modded with a newer lux, and it popped off easy:whistle: then the ims17 reflector and a glass lens..

I had planned on shaving down the xpg board so it would fit in between the components, but decided to shim it above them (less work). I made the shim out of a small piece of copper.:

Here it is thermally epoxied down on the shim and then wired up:

I shaved the solder joints a little to make them flat. This way the reflector and board will rest together nice when tightened. Also orange peeled the reflector. (I wanted a nice smooth beam with some flood to make this a very usable edc)

Here she is put together:

Hope you like, i'll post more phots/beamshots later

Last edited:

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great work, I still have that First Run that is a good candidate for a mod.

Love it!

I've got a very early LSL-S (#001) which has a grotesque purple tint, and could use this treatment.

Would be a shame to see #001 modded, but that's just my opinion.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it, too!

I have a first run ARC LS #1475 which was my keychain light for years. All is stock (removeable bezel and optic), but Peter Gransee dialed up the amperage to 400 mA (vs 350 mA standard) per my request. I don't know for sure, but I think the board has a pot that will dial up to at least 500 mA. Do you know?

Please pm me if you'd be interested in modding my light with a 5000K xp-g dialed up as far as the stock board will go.

Thanks.

spc

Enlightened
lemlux, i'm not sure if the first runs had a pot, but I don't think so. Every first run I opened up, I pretty much destroyed the stock board anyway. (they are usually potted and have to be busted out)

I'll Pm you guys later to talk business :naughty:

Garageboy, yes- the xp-g you can get the xpg bare or on a couple different "stars" I got this one bare and re-flowed it on the 10mm star

I tried a 2aa body on and was impressed with how it handles, you don't really notice a difference in output between the 2aa and 123s..
Here are some more shots that show the color pretty good..

Here it is all nice and stock from the outside