Another Harbor Freight flash light mod

jason 77

Enlightened
Ok so I spend waaaay too much time wondering around Harbor Freight as of late, anyway I found another cheap flashlight I wanted to try and mod.

I found this guy being sold for just over a buck, so cheap enough for me to get a few to play around with.
img0987z.jpg

here it is taken apart..
img0988v.jpg

I was able to grind down a piece of aluminum rod to fit in the head of thing which was big enough to fit in a little white 145 lumen rebel LED. I am getting better at removing the top gel coating on the rebels without damaging the thin traces of copper.. :)
img0986wx.jpg

img0990.jpg

I used a little 10180 battery for the power,

img0991v.jpg

put together.. with a rubber O ring for a spacer..
img0996qx.jpg

quit by accident I got the rebel centered enough so that the little lens type thing on the plastic dome actually focuses the beam... another crappy picture of the flashlight lit up..
img0993.jpg

jeffosborne

Enlightened
Good work Jason! You have converted a lowly little light into a performer. Looks good, too. The o-ring looks like it belongs there. Is this in consideration for your EDC? And where did you find that small battery?

I like to wander in Harbor Freight, too. Some unique items there, and some good deals to be had. I wish I wasn't promoting globalization when I shop there, though.

Cheers,
Jeff

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok so I spend waaaay too much time wondering around Harbor Freight as of late, anyway I found another cheap flashlight I wanted to try and mod.

quit by accident I got the rebel centered enough so that the little lens type thing on the plastic dome actually focuses the beam... another crappy picture of the flashlight lit up..
img0993.jpg

Nice beam, with a square hot spot from tiny aspheric, it looks like a baby SST-90 :devil:

bstrickler

Enlightened
Good work Jason! You have converted a lowly little light into a performer. Looks good, too. The o-ring looks like it belongs there. Is this in consideration for your EDC? And where did you find that small battery?

I like to wander in Harbor Freight, too. Some unique items there, and some good deals to be had. I wish I wasn't promoting globalization when I shop there, though.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.lighthound.com/AW-10180-Unprotected-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_92.html

Have fun trying to figure out how to charge it safely.

~Brian

jason 77

Enlightened

Yup that's where I got the battery! As for charging it I have been using this charger to charge these little guys...

http://www.batteryjunction.com/wf-138.html

I use some magnetic spacers while charging and I am a paranoid type of guy when it comes to charging unprotected li-Ion batteries so they only get charged when I am in my shop doing something else where I can monitor them at all times...

jason 77

Enlightened
Is this in consideration for your EDC?

I wish I wasn't promoting globalization when I shop there, though.

Cheers,
Jeff

Ok I admit I had to look up what "EDC" was... LOL and I am torn between this new light going on my keychain or keeping the silver one I made a while ago on there...

Yeah I like to try and buy american products whenever I can from stuff like flashlights to produce at the grocery store. At least some of the upgrade material I used in this one is made in my country! HAHA