3 lights only !!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
A week or so ago I started a post about one light to grab in 5 seconds.We had lots of views and lots of replies,so this one is slightly different.

Scenario:-Armed with your knowledge as an old hand here or newbies like myself who read and learn from others,you have no lights anymore not one at all,and please no one saying I would never let that happen.

You can pick one each of the following battery combinations.

AAA cell
AA cell
c123 cell

Can be single or multi cell your call.

As a newbie not experienced enough yet to make my choice so i will also learn from the members replies.

What are your 3 lights members that you would buy?

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Based on personal experience I'll take back my LF2XT for a AAA, the QMini AA or Proton Pro, and the LF3XT or QMini 123.

Geoff

randomlugia

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to answer this as if it were only lights I own or would buy, otherwise I'd probably pick Surefire for all three.

iTP A3 EOS
Fenix LD20
Olight M21 Warrior

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am strictly cr123 for primary flashlight usage but if ihad to pick one from each source it would be:

AAA: ti Mako
AA : I guess my Arc
123:coin toss between Ti pd-s or HDS Clicky(sorry but I love 'em both)

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
iTP A3 EOS
Jetbeam CL-E
ET M2XC4 MKII or a ET T20C2 MKII

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Obviously if price were no object my choices might be different but keeping in line with what I am willing to spend
  • Preon 1 titanium,but there are several AAA lights I would be satisfied with
  • Quark AA Neutral or Warm with spare 2AA body and tailswitch
  • Malkoff MD2 with an M60W and 2-level ring
Honestly 3 really are not going to be enough but these are where I would start assuming I am in a similar situation to what I am now.Hard not to include the INOVA X5 and a few others but the three I listed would cover most of my immediate needs.
Had to edit as I originally didn't pick from each battery size............

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Fenix EO1 for incredible runtime, Zebralight 501 warm for flood and versatility, and my Haiku XP-G for everyday carry...

Alternately, Peak Matterhorn, Quark 1xAA for EDC/ throw/ levels, and my Titan T1A...

Money no object? Sapphire, Jhanko D10, and my Tri-V.

Please never let it come to having to make these choices...:grin2:

tolkaze

Enlightened
Not a huge amount of experience with different lights, so this is just what I have, or what I would have if I started again... These would be starting lights only, You couldn't just have one

AAA: either itp A3 EOS or 4Sevens Preon, maybe warm

AA: 4Sevens Quark AA2

CR123: Malkoff MD2 w/either M61 or M60 MCE

Quension

Newly Enlightened
I don't have much experience with various lights, but based on what I do have and what I've seen on the forums, this is what I'd seriously consider:

In 1xAAA, I'd be looking for a keychain/backup light, so probably a 4sevens Preon I.

AA and CR123 are more interesting; I'd be looking for a purpose-carry light (nighttime/work), as well as one to just have around the house as a general utility light / emergency light.

If I were going for a 1xAA carry light, I'd look at a 4sevens Quark AA or one of the Nitecore D10 versions. In 1xCR123 the SunwayLED M10R is looking good as a general utility light. (If money wasn't an issue it'd probably be an HDS clicky in cerakote safety orange. Not likely to get lost in an emergency.)

OTOH, 2xCR123 makes a nice form factor for a carry light, and I have a Quark 123² R2 for that. For a general utility light, I'm thinking 1xAA like the Zebralight SC50w.

The former configuration would be better for an emergency light that never gets used normally, since the CR123 is energy dense and has a long shelf life. The latter would be better for a general utility light, since it'll take NiMH or alkaline AAs as needed and other people who use it don't have to deal with special or expensive battery types.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm taking this as there is a situation or emergency and I have 5 secs to grab one of each, I am going to consider runtime with various outputs and not just pick my favorite lights with that battery.

AAA- LD01 small I can place it on me without much interference with whatever else I'm carrying.

AA- Zebralight H501- headlamp is great to have my hands available especially considering I will have two other lights.

CR123- PD30 R4- great utility light with various output for long runtimes

Other options if I consider a single cell cr123 would be the HDS 170T and if I want to go bigger the Fenix TA30, on medium (60lm) this light has a 25hr runtime both of these are built like tanks If things get rough.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only need one light and one light only, Surefire A2 aviator, fully capable of fulfilling any task. Enough said.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
AAA - ITP A3 EOS/Maratac AAA
AA - JetBeam RRT-0 w/ AA extender (ha! I cheated since RRT-0 can take 1x123 :p )
123 - EagleTac T20C2 MkII 2x123

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The normal set :

AAA - 4Sevens Preon1
AA - 4Sevens Quark AA Tactical neutral white
123 - HDS EDC 140C aka Clicky

The high class set :

AAA - Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi
AA - Volere AA Titanium neutral white (by Kuku427)
123 - McGizmo Haiku X-G (warm)

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already pretty much carry three lights with me most of the time...

1) A QAA2 NW in my messenger bag running NiMH rechargeables.

2) A QAA2 R2 on a TwoFish bike block on my bicycle helmet, running L91 primaries because they're nice and light and I don't want any unnecessary weight on my head.

3) A NiteCore EZAAw on my keychain for always on hand use.

Will be upgrading my helmet light with a JetBeam Jet-III Pro ST as soon as I can afford it.

I'd like to upgrade my EZAAw to a QMini-NW, but the QAA2-NW I just got is definitely greenish in tint, even at higher outputs, and the color puts me off. So I'm hesitant to buy a QMiniAA to replace it; don't want another green eyed monster...

Last edited:

Xacto

Enlightened
Well, it would either be

Fenix E01 (can be found on my wifes keychain)
Mini Maglite or iTP SA-1 (Mini Mag could truly be used in a candle type way with the head removed)
Surefire 6PLED

all the above are already available at home.

If ordering, I would try to get a AAA light with a push-button switch, but otherwise probably keep the above mentioned selection.

Cheers
Thorsten