Rookie needs advice on small light

debbiez

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking at your forums, and you guys sure take your lights seriously!

In advance, I thank you for any advice.

I am a worker in a pharmaceutical plant, and as part of my duties, I have to inspect equipment, rooms, parts, etc. The equipment is usually stainless steel. I usually have to use a light at least 15 times a night, for up to 10 minutes at a time. I am often looking into blenders that would hold a vw bug, or a fluid bed that is 3 stories high. I am specifically looking for powder residue, to ensure that a room is perfectly clean between different lots of product.

As such, I would love to have a handy light that I can wear on my person, preferably not requiring a belt, I prefer a carabiner on my belt loop. I would love a model that uses AA batteries. I don't want one that requires lots of "cylcling" through modes every time I turn it on. I don't care about roll, waterproofness, or having strobes or SOS signals. I wouldn't mind a few levels of brightness if it is not a hassle to cycle through.

Why, you may ask, does not my employer provide us with such a thing? Who knows, but we have crappy big flashlights that are a pain to lug around, people lose them, and the batteries are always low. In a plant like the one I work on, having one on one's person is highly preferable, even if I have to pay for it myself.

Someone borrowed and lost my last one, which was a streamlight, and I am wanting to upgrade.

I am willing to pay in the 50 dollar range.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much.

joe1512

Enlightened
Here are a few of my suggestions. I think 1xAA or 2xAA is going to work best for you. You can decide which form factor you want to go with.

I am sticking to AA batteries only and suggest you get a AA charger and some rechargables. Sanyo Eneloops are the favorite of this forum.

Note that you can find 1xAA versions of both of these easily:

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_18&products_id=908
This uses the latest XP-G emitter for maximum brightness and runtime efficiency. 2xAA $60. 6 modes, but the useless strobe is 'hidden' effectively. Uses a seperate on-off switch and a dial I believe that selects the mode. Makes it easier to avoid cycling thru modes.

A cheaper 2xAA light. Many modes and programmable. Due to memory you can effectively program a light level that you like and then use it as a 1-mode light from then on since it comes on in the same mode as it previously was in. I personally like itp products which are good quality and reasonably priced. $40
http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_19&products_id=375

A cheaper, simpler 1 mode 1xAA light: $20
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-178/Romisen-RC-dsh-G2-II-WW/Detail

A cheap 2xAA version with almost the latest emittter. $25. Your best value if not worried about multiple modes.
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-212/Romisen-RC-dsh-N3-CREE-R4/Detail
You would always use it in 2xAA mode. Ignore the CR123 mode.

This gives you 2 different solid online shops to browse and some various price-point lights.

Last edited:

Zendude

Enlightened

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
For ease of use to wear on your person,the ones I have selected could be worn on a lanyard due to size and lightness are:-

ITP A2 A simple 3 mode light lo.-med-high no strobe.
Nitecore EZAA 2 mode simple to use and small and light
Fenix LD15 2 mode simple.

All above are worthy of a good look at and easy within your budget plus with careful buying you should have enough to buy some eneloops to feed them on.

Remember to use your cpf discount code if you buy from the list supplied by another poster.

*** One member has already suggested the EZAA and I 2nd his choice as well.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm personally looking at giving a lot of itp R01 torches to friends and family. It's a great price at around $45. The main thing is the single output level. It's easy for them not to worry about output levels. It's also rechargeable using a USB port or adaptor so I dont have to explain charging batteries. Just charging from USB ... which might be just as hard for some.

fishx65

Enlightened
Target has the Energizer 1aa single mode cree which is a very dependable and solid torch. It has a very sturdy clip and will only set you back 16 smackers!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am often looking into blenders that would hold a vw bug, or a fluid bed that is 3 stories high. I am specifically looking for powder residue, to ensure that a room is perfectly clean between different lots of product.

First off, :welcome:

To clarify, you'd need a light that can clearly show powder residue on a fluid bed (whatever that is, sounds like water bed :D ) 3 stories up?

Nothing shows up powder residue/dust better than a nice bright, white LED light, made the mistake of dropping my Jet I MkIIx on the floor and now my missus uses flashlights to inspect the floors for dust after making me sweep and mop up, damn.

Anyway, i'd go with a 2xAA light for slightly more power and carry it on a lanyard around my neck OR a longer lanyard clipped to the carabiner you carry and slip the light into a pocket or holster so that you don't drop the light.

Also, is there a lot of ambient lighting in your work environment? What seems like a lot of light when its really dark seems to fade into insignificance when there is loads of ambient light.