What flashlight should I buy?

Icanman

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm sort of new here, been reading about all these amazing LED flashlights I never knew existed before.

Right now my nicest flashlight is a Maglite which is ticking me off because it gets dim very quickly (it's not LED) and also, it's about 1 year old and already there is something wrong where if I bump the light, it flickers off and on.

So, what flashlight should I buy to get started with LED lights? I figure if anyone would know what the best flashlight is you guys would know :hitit:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I'm sort of new here, been reading about all these amazing LED flashlights I never knew existed before.

Right now my nicest flashlight is a Maglite which is ticking me off because it gets dim very quickly (it's not LED) and also, it's about 1 year old and already there is something wrong where if I bump the light, it flickers off and on.

So, what flashlight should I buy to get started with LED lights? I figure if anyone would know what the best flashlight is you guys would know :hitit:

Hello Icanman :welcome:

There is lots of light's to choose from but if you could look at this link, then fill out the info and copy and paste it into this thread it would really help get things going in finding a light that is right for you.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/276972

Icanman

Newly Enlightened
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
X___I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
____Less than $100.
____Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
X___I'm flexible, tell me what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

X___I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
____Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
X___I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
X___I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
X___I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

I don't know the answer to this one, never heard of most of these batteries!

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
X___I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
X___150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
X___3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
X___I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I don't care.
X___I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
X___I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
X___I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

fizzwinkus

Newly Enlightened
8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
X___I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.
X___150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.
X___3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

now i'm a bit new here too, but after these three questions, i might add:
how many pounds of light do you want to carry?

do you want a light more the size of a hot dog, an ear of corn, or a real dog?

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
OK, lights are about tradeoffs, and I don't think you quite got the survey. (Or maybe you did.)

1. How frequently do you plan to use the light - for example:
- nightly
- weekly
- occasional as need arises

2. How far would you typically carry the light?
- very short distances (like around the house)
- short distances (a few blocks, at most like walking the dog)
- moderate distances
- LONG distances (more than a mile)
- doesn't matter - it'll be in a vehicle

3. How would you carry your light when not in use:
- I wouldn't - it would be on a shelf / drawer / etc.
- It would be on my belt
- It would be in my vehicle

4. Would your use of the light be professional in nature?

Can you sort of describe what you commonly do with a light? (walk the go, go on hikes, security or police work, etc.?)

An 800 lumen light is extremely bright. (It is a decent fraction of a car headlight!) You'll have no night vision at all after using such a light. There are definitely applications for a light like that, and they are also just plain fun. However, they also tend to be relatively large. (On the other hand, you can fit something several times brighter than your maglight unobtrusively in your pants pocket.)

Anyway, what you're going to do is helpful to understand, because the needs of someone who's walking their dog are really different from a hiker, and these are different from law enforcement, military, or search and rescue.

Do you want rechargeable batteries? (Generally primary, non-rechargeable, batteries are a better choice - however, if you are going to use your light nightly, primary batteries can be expensive.) Are you comfortable buying stuff mail order - you can buy "exotic" batteries economically that way. For some people this is UNDESIRABLE, and they want to be able to use common batteries, like AA cells.

In terms of the durability of the light, how likely is your safety or that of someone else to depend on the function of the light. Some examples:
- not at all - you use it to light up stuff around the house or walking the dog along a fairly well lit street.
- sometimes - you won't use the light often, but you'll use it during emergencies, so when you grab it, it better work.
- often - you'll use it quite regularly for police work or some other type of public safety
- 100% - for example you'll use the light caving or or for search and rescue. If the light fails, someone probably dies. Probably you.

There really are a huge number of choices, so understanding what you want to do is just so helpful. Based on what you wrote, I'd likely recommend something large, heavy, possibly expensive, and very probably not really what you need.

I know this is all pretty confusing at first, and hey, it's like just a freakin' flashlight, how hard can this be? But think about how many different types of hammers there are. I mean, if you said "I need a hammer, recommend one", well, it would be hard to tell you what to do there either because there are just so many choices.

Best of luck!

SARLights

Newly Enlightened
Icanman: :welcome:

It seems that you don't really have a really good idea of what you want, besides bright and long lasting. You can find relatively bright and long lasting lights for $50. Or $400+.

If you explain what you want the light for, it's a lot easier to decide which ones are best for you. Will it be sitting in a backpack or closet for 360 days out of the year? Or will it be your EDC light, always in your pocket?
Or on a duty-belt if you need it for your job? Each job requires a different light and specifications.

What kind of flashlights have you used before? I would highly recommend getting your paws on as many different kinds as you can, maybe at an outdoors store, or a gun show(lots and lots of good types there), or a hardware store. Find out what your personal preferences are, there are so many lights out there, but only a few that will really fit you.

That info form is really helpful. Think about it, and try to fill in as many answers as you need. We'll help you out on some questions, but can't make the decision for you.

Cheers,
-SARLights

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
This:
Olight SR91.

1500 lumens, 3h runtime on high.

is exactly what I was thinking of when I said:
Based on what you wrote, I'd likely recommend something large, heavy, possibly expensive, and very probably not really what you need.

It may be that this is exactly what you need. But I noticed you said "I don't know" a lot, so perhaps it isn't.

Icanman

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I guess I just wanted a light that would do everything, like the perfect flashlight I guess that's why I answered the brightest choice and the longest throwing choice.

So you can't just buy a flashlight that can do it all and is the best at everything?

fizzwinkus

Newly Enlightened
you probably can, but it will cost a couple billion in development costs...

jellydonut

Enlightened
You don't need a light with the specs you listed for it to be the 'best'.

A top fuel dragster isn't a 'better' car than an Aston Martin.. It's just faster for 402 meters and then you need a new engine. Not the best analogy but still, for a flashlight you actually want to use you don't need something the size of a hedge trimmer that will light up better than the HIDs on your neighbor's new BMW.

As for a flashlight that can 'do it all', personally I would not be looking for a thrower if you want something that can do it all. I'd be looking for something with a nice large beam that has an okay hotspot and a huge usable spill. For me, the best I have for general use is this. It will light up just about anything in front of you at a reasonable distance. Of course, if you want a portable spotlight this is not it.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a 4xD light so it's going to be big and heavy, I don't know what brand it is or if it even has a brand but how about you take a look at a few that have a warranty and have been tested and proven to be pretty solid light's by a lot of people from this forum. These are just a few suggestions to show you there is plenty of other similar quality light's to choose from. Don't get to caught up in what is advertised as the lumen output, that light advertises at 1000lm but I bet it's well under that.

Fenix TK40- http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=696

Jetbeam M2S- http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/m2s.html

Eagletac M2XC4 MKII- http://illuminationgear.com/14322/27034.html

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened

So, what flashlight should I buy to get started with LED lights? I figure if anyone would know what the best flashlight is you guys would know
Have a look at 4SEVENS site http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297.
These are very well made, light and with lots of output and with easy user interface.
For a first LED flashlight, these are affordable, deliver great 'bang for buck' and
4SEVENS have a great track record in after sales service: They ship the same day you order which is excellent.

Icanman

Newly Enlightened
I'm confused though, none of these lights talk about what colors they will do, I thought one of the good things about LED lights is they can shine in any color?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Each LED die has it's own color, there are ways to alter white color such as attaching red/green/blue filters or to buy a light that has it's own unique color emitter such as white, blue, green, blue. Some light's have multiple LED's with different colors and you can switch between colors. Their is also the quad-die emitter build that 4sevens uses for their RGB model light. Each of the 4 die's has a different color, check out the review below and look at the LED in the following pictures and you will see the quad-die each of those 4 corners (die's) has it's own color.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/258404

Icanman

Newly Enlightened
This is getting complicated. Isn't there just a flashlight everyone agrees is the best all around flashlight?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL everyone agree.. Hang around long enough and you will see that is a impossible thing to even think of but I guess that can be said for everything in life and not just flashlights.

Complicated yes it can be there is a lot to take in and read about, I learn here everyday there is always something to learn so don't feel frustrated just take your time and try and take in what you can when you can.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't there just a flashlight everyone agrees is the best all around flashlight?
If you're willing to accept Candle Power Forum majority consensus then that would be the Ra Clicky. Of course then you will have to decide whether you want a cool white or warm white emitter, wide or narrow beam, tactical or flush switch, maximum output, etc.

Hate to break it to you, but buying the "best" flashlight is not an easy task. There are a lot of options out there, and unfortunately, nobody can tell you what features you will prefer. For instance, I prefer warm (lower color temperature) emitters and a wide, floody beam, but you might prefer cool white and a focused hot spot for maximum throw. The only way to know what you like is personal experience.