Custom Light Smackdown - Mac's EDC versus Download Pocket Rocket (and others)

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Showdown – Mac's EDC Versus Download's Pocket Rocket

FYI – this is a LONG review with many, many photos and charts. I put quite a bit of time and effort into it – suggestions and comments (or criticism or compliments :eek:) are always welcome!

(Disclaimer….the measurements taken in this review are not claimed to be 100% accurate, although the RELATIONSHIP between the measurements is accurate. The opinions stated in the review are just that – MY opinions. One of the beauties of this forum is the wide range of preferences and opinions, and as it relates to each individual, we are ALL correct! A beauty of the flashlight industry is that there are so many different choices – there's something for everyone. This review/commentary is simply a report of my opinions and readings, as well as some photos for your consideration and hopeful enjoyment. There – disclaimer out of the way!)

My good friend Barbarian was kind enough to part with a couple of his prize lights – I was fortunate enough to add them to my collection. The HAIII, aluminum Download Pocket Rocket with an SST-50 driven at 2.8A with a tint of 6500k, and a Mac's Customs Bare Aluminum EDC with clip – also an SST-50 driven at 2.8A with a tint of 4500k. These lights seemed perfect for a comparison test.

But to make it more interesting, I decided to add a few of my other lights (heck, while taking the photos, why not!?)

They include:

Spy Tri-V (tested with 2 different programs)
Haiku XPG
Haiku XRE
Sundrop XRU (no beam shots)
Makai

And of course, the Pocket Rocket and the EDC.

I used a small area of my patio for the beam shots – there is a tree in my backyard area about 5 feet behind the fence – that is my target. The tree is about 30 feet from the camera. In order to capture the full beam and spill of each light I used my 10-22mm Canon wide angle lens at 10mm – the 35mm equivalent of 17mm. The camera is a Canon EOS 40D – shutter at 6 seconds, f/11, ISO 1000.

You'll find specs for each light along with the photos, then there are a couple of charts at the end of the review that summarize everything.

First up is Download's Pocket Rocket - HAIII, reverse clicky, 2.8A driving a 6500k SST-50. My sphere measures 19 lumen low, 133 medium, 420 high.

IMG_2273.JPG

Really nice looking light - a bit too smooth for my big hands to get a good hold on it, but holes provided in the tail for a lanyard. Uses an 18650 battery, and with battery weighs 4.05 ounces

IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_2284.JPG

IMG_2287.JPG

It is an amazing light for the money!!

IMG_2290.JPG

Next up is a light that has caused quite a stir - the 5th release of this light just closed. This particular version is bare aluminum with a clip, forward clicky, 2.8A driving an SST-50 at 4500k. Very clean little light, and in aluminum with battery (IMR 16340) weighs 2.85 ounces. The ridges and texture make it easy for me to hold, although, like the PR, on high it can get warm - I suppose a positive sign the the aluminum is dissipating the heat well.

In my sphere it measures 20 lumen lo, 128 medium, 438 high.

IMG_2297.JPG

IMG_2303.JPG

IMG_2339.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

A size comparison(s)
IMG_2357.JPG

IMG_2363.JPG

Throw in a couple of gorgeous Haikus
IMG_2364.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

And then the entire party...
IMG_2380.JPG

Here's the area in daylight:
IMG_2466.JPG

Beam shots
IMG_2444.JPG

IMG_2448.JPG

IMG_2445.JPG

IMG_2449.JPG

IMG_2446.JPG

IMG_2450.JPG

Side by side
Beam%20Shots%208-7.jpg

Beam%20Shots%208-71.jpg

Beam%20Shots%208-72.jpg

I find these photos interesting.
PR left - EDC right
IMG_2386.JPG

Reversed positions
IMG_2394.JPG

Perhaps it would be interesting to see how some other lights compare? Let's start with some McGizmos
IMG_2435.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2437.JPG

IMG_2451.JPG

IMG_2452.JPG

IMG_2453.JPG

IMG_2454.JPG

IMG_2455.JPG

IMG_2456.JPG

Here's a treat - the Cool Fall Spy Tri-V - first up are all 6 default settings
IMG_2457.JPG

IMG_2458.JPG

IMG_2459.JPG

IMG_2460.JPG

IMG_2461.JPG

I worry that this will burn a hole through the tree!!
IMG_2462.JPG

Now, for fun, the "shock and awe" settings...remember, this is a light smaller than a deck of playing cards!!
IMG_2438.JPG

IMG_2439.JPG

Don't get in front of that thing!!
IMG_2440.JPG

IMG_2441.JPG

IMG_2442.JPG

:eek:
IMG_2443.JPG

Tri-V default levels 2-6
IMG_2395.JPG

IMG_2396.JPG

IMG_2397.JPG

IMG_2398.JPG

IMG_2399.JPG

Just for fun....
IMG_2409.JPG

Couple of comparisons..Tri V versus EDC
IMG_2387.JPG

IMG_2388.JPG

Here is a summary of all of the lights shown (plus a couple of extras) - weights and lumen ratings. The chart is labeled for reference.
updated%20IS%20readings%208-8.jpg

And finally, here's a SUBJECTIVE (except for weight, lumen ratings and price) chart of ratings, weights based on what is important to me.
ratings.jpg

So, the verdict? For me, the weight, size, tint and 'feel' in my hand lead to my preferring the Mac's EDC. You may feel otherwise, but maybe this review will give you something new to think about.

Thanks for reading! lovecpf

Last edited:

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
Very good review! :thumbsup:

I wanted to get Mac's EDC, but just got the Haiku XP-G so the wallet is still burning....

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan! Thank you so much for this completely awesome compilation of beamshots, lumens ratings, and pictures! It has really helped me get a good idea of how some of these excellent lights compare to one another. :twothumbs

Seeing the Haiku, Tri-V, Mac's, and PR next to one another also confirmed that I - A) Need a Haiku, and B) Need a 007. :p Those might be the only lights I end up with besides my T1A, but I think I'll be a happy camper!

I still can't believe how much time and effort you put into this. It is most appreciated! Thanks again! lovecpf

Last edited:

pwatcher

Enlightened
Fascinating and informative - I can sure see the Tri-V's appeal, even though out of my comfort level pricewise. Thanks for putting all of this together for us to salivate over! :thumbsup: :twothumbs :rolleyes:

scout24

Flashaholic
Incredible comparison! That Makai looks like it throws for days with nice spill... :grin2: Your time and effort is appreciated! These pictures are easier to show someone than trying to explain... Tri-V flood is simply amazing outdoors when you pump it up a bit. Still love the XP-G Haiku beam. Maybe it's me, but the Mac's vs. Download- The tint on them seems closer as the levels go higher. Your thoughts? Maybe how the camera saw it?

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it's me, but the Mac's vs. Download- The tint on them seems closer as the levels go higher. Your thoughts? Maybe how the camera saw it?

Thanks for the nice words...yes, I agree on the tint when on high. I think part of it is the amount of time of the exposure. It's always a compromise between having enough exposure to capture the 'low' and the lower output lights without overexposing the "high."

That's one reason why I included the photos against white paper. Both lights were on high, and against a white background you can still see the difference in tint. To the eye, the 4500 tint definitely renders more pleasing colors....

:eek:

Barbarian

Enlightened
I don't know where to begin Danny boy.

First off thanks for taking the time to do such an extensive review of these great lights. I pushed you a little bit because I am not capable of doing anything resembling this professional looking review and beam shots. I know this had to be very time consuming even though it was a labor of love.

This thread offers fellow CPF'ers everything that we need to see if we are considering buying any of the great custom lights you featured. The comparisons of tint, beam, output, and weight is an invaluable resource for us all. Subscription added.

Your photos of the lights are remarkable. I think everyone now knows why I have bought so many of Mac's great creation and pushed my friends on this forum to purchase them. You captured the simplistic beauty of his design like no other. I think your photos also show why I have gone the 4500k route instead of the 6500k. I much prefer the neutral/warm tint over cool, but that is just an opinion. I will not argue with those that prefer the 6500k version.

The SST-50 EDC in aluminum is so lightweight, but packs a knockout punch. Over 430 lumens with a warmer tint. :thumbsup: If I had to describe the light in one word, it would be smooth. Obviously you have also fallen in love with these lights because you just bucked up for a couple of more in titanium yourself.

I must say that I also love Download's creation. I have a 4500k version that will be a lifetime keeper. I highly recommend the light to all. Charles is also a joy to deal with.

Your group shot of your partial fantastic collection makes us all jealous.

Oh yeah, those beam shots of the Tri-V are so silly sick that I had to chuckle. It is no wonder you acquired a backup.

Thanks again Dan! Incredible job. lovecpf :twothumbs

DM51

Flashaholic
Superb job - a fascinating choice of lights featured, very good beamshots indeed! :clap:

Mac's EDC looks nicer to my eyes than the PR. The McGs are excellent, and the concentrated spot of the Makai is amazing.

The Tri-V is a revelation - this is the best illustration I have seen of its capabilities and enormous versatility. An astonishing light!

Great review - moving it to the Reviews section now...

lisantica

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoy reading your reviews Dan!
I learn so much.
I always love it when the kitty gets in the photos :D

Lisa

fishhead

Newly Enlightened
I missed the second kitty too :laughing:

Very nice review (with kitties - kitties should be mandatory in flashlight reviews). I recently got an aluminum version of Mac's EDC and I love the beam and I really appreciate you putting up some other beam shots we don't normally see so I can compare, but man oh man I'm really wanting a Tri-V now....:mecry:

scout24

Flashaholic
Thanks for the quick photo lesson, Dan. :bow: I feel like Fred Flintstone taking pictures compared to yours... Remember his "camera" with the bird inside with the hammer and chisel? :nana: Seriously, greatly appreciated, that's a discipline unto itself. I've tried several times to convince my camera to do beamshots in the dark, and it just chuckles at me... you do a fantastic job capturing what the eyes see. :thumbsup:

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast
run4jc,

Great post here!

Now the facts are out on why I really like the Mac EDC SST-50.

Also the warm 4500k looks better to me.

The EDC SST-50 is not as warm as the warm Haiku.

My Mac EDC SST-50 1.4A is plenty bright and the low and medium levels are lower than the 2.8A.

Thanks to Barbarian for turning me on to these or did I tell him first? :thinking:

:twothumbs

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
More on the kitties...

I enjoy reading your reviews Dan!
I learn so much.
I always love it when the kitty gets in the photos :D

Lisa

Meet Tigger - my daughter's 5 year old Tabby - the most lovable fluff ball of a cat I've ever met in my 52 years of drawing breath...
(Oh, and he's a flashaholic...:))
IMG_1133.JPG

Then this is Sassy - she is Tigger's sister. Since my son went off to college she's become "my" cat (or am I her's?) She's a Tortie - and she lives up to her name as she is definitely a "sassy" cat...
IMG_2474.JPG

This is Riff Raff - a neighbor's cat - he often creeps into the back yard and 'talks' to Tigger and Sassy through the fence. It's a good thing that there's a fence there!! Riff is street smart, and i don't know if my couch potato kitties could hang with Riff....
IMG_1680.JPG

"Can I come it?"
IMG_1682.JPG

:D :wave:

Last edited:

Hiro Protagonist

Enlightened
Hi, flashlight newbie here. Thanks for this amazing review, especially the beam shots :twothumbs. Now I realize why people on CPF want to buy the Tri-V - what an amazing light :bow:!

I hope to have some custom Ti goodness someday.

HP

Dan, first of all, what an amazing review. You've become quite the master reviewer. I think I speak for all of us here at CPF when I say we are grateful for your time and effort in helping us understand the differences and benefits of the lights reviewed. :bow:

Second of all: don't mess with Riff Raff! I think he wants more than just "to talk." :D All three of those cats are awesome. I love all cats and dogs. :)

The Coach

Enlightened
The Tri-V is a revelation - this is the best illustration I have seen of its capabilities and enormous versatility. An astonishing light!

Yeah, thanks Dan. :rolleyes: Here I was thinking I didn't NEED a Tri-V. Heck, how much different could it be over all the lights I already have? :faint:

You dirty....................................:poke:

:crackup:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan, first of all, what an amazing review. You've become quite the master reviewer. I think I speak for all of us here at CPF when I say we are grateful for your time and effort in helping us understand the differences and benefits of the lights reviewed. :bow:

Second of all: don't mess with Riff Raff! I think he wants more than just "to talk." :D All three of those cats are awesome. I love all cats and dogs. :)

Thanks, Troy!! It's a labor of love...

Meanwhile - you love cats and dogs, huh? Then allow me to introduce you to:

Penny - my 13 1/2 year old Sheltie (Shetland Sheep Dog)
IMG_1981.JPG

And her 6 year old companion, Heidi...
(as you can see, Heidi is very stressed)
IMG_1987.JPG

As for Riff, you are correct - he's quite the street smart Dude, and whatever his intentions :eek: we can't be having any encounters. Sass and Tig are shielded kitties and would likely come out on the short end of any encounters.

Hey, we gotta have our fun along the way!! lovecpf