Nailbender XP-G R5 vs Anto XP-G R5

recDNA

Flashaholic
I question for those of you better versed in the technical aspects of LED output. The Nailbender XP-G R5 D26 drop in and the Anto XP-G R5 are both driven at 1.4 amps yet the Anto (according to BigC's sphere) puts out more lumens on turn on.

Now one may argue the Anto is better potted (unless you spend the money to have Nailbender pot his) or that the Anto comes with copper tape for better heat transfer (but I'm speaking of 1 second not 2 minutes and I use copper tape on all my drop ins anyway.)

So what's up with that? Same bin. Same amps. Why not the same lumen output?

Oops - I just double checked and the Nailbender tested is an R4. I don't know if the 1.4 amp R5 hs been tested.

Last edited:

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nailbender stuff is top quality. The difference is that Anto uses a solid chunk of copper inside the pill with the led board/driver attached to it, and potted. Heatsinking is much better with the Anto than Nailbender, that is the reason for the different readings.

recDNA

Flashaholic
But that shouldn't affect output until the LED gets hot enough to lose output. At 1 second copper heatsink vs aluminum is no biggie.

I was comparing apples to oranges though. The R4 produces fewer lumens because it is a different bin. I actually haven't seen measured lumen output for the Nailbender R5 he sells now.

Last edited:

ama230

Enlightened
copper is a great heat conductor and not as a heat sink. Aluminum is a great heat sink and an alright conductor as will kill heat before transferring it. No one uses a light for just a second unless you are a camera with a +60hz refresh rate?:p

wquiles

Flashaholic
copper is a great heat conductor and not as a heat sink.
You "really" need to read more about copper and study more more about what makes a good heatsink, and then you will find out you need to edit/correct your post. The correct statement should have been: "Copper is a great heat conductor and it is a great material as a heat sink."

And it is not "my" opinion. It is a fact. If you look at all of the data and projects here in the forum, you will see that copper is an outstanding material for heat sinks. And not just flashlights. Most all of the high end, high wattage CPU heatsinks have a copper core (or solid copper construction).

Last edited: