Can you turn a Craftsman 18v/19.2v Bulb Light to an LED?

timtim2008

Newly Enlightened

shrink.jpg

I got one of these (pics above) it usually last about 30-45mins on a charge...
im sure LED would last several HOURS if not almost a day...

has anyone does this before?

CanadianGuy

Newly Enlightened
I had a thread about this in 2007. Has some interesting responses. I have yet to do anything with mine. I envy the people here who jump right in and mod anything they get their hands on. Good for you guys!

Last edited:

ama230

Enlightened
there is a drop in that will make this really bright. I had put one in my dads ryobi 18v lithium light with no modding. Then i put one in an old ryobi 18v nicd with a little of trimming of the inside plastic. It replaces the reflector and bulb and drop right in and has a crazy range of voltage. It will give you an awesome runtime and gobbs of light, like 600+ lumens!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/800-LUMENS-LED-POWER-MODULE-DeWALT-6V-18V-/110569854265?pt=US_Flashlights

if the link gets kicked then just do a search in ebay for fusion led or fusion 48 led.

for 29 bucks shipped its an awesome deal, it turns your worklight into a car headlight.

hope this helps,
eric

NeSSuS-GTE

Newly Enlightened
My flashlight modding career started with this form factor. Dewalt and Ryobi 12-18v lights. They are easy to machine and drill out and have lots of space for drivers and switches.

That makes them great for learning with.
I definitely still have fun with this type of host!

Here are thumbnails of two of mine. You can see various build details from the site link in my sig.

DualBlastThumb.jpg
indexThumb.jpg

Musick7

Newly Enlightened

shrink.jpg

I got one of these (pics above) it usually last about 30-45mins on a charge...
im sure LED would last several HOURS if not almost a day...

has anyone does this before?

Well if NSC can power 4 strings of 24 HiPower LED's from a single IC, then my answer to your question would be YES.

Check this out.
http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM3464.pdf

also check out the Video of the PDF
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM3464.html#Videos

You can Get the LM-3464 from NSC website free of charge ordering the No cost SAMPLES. However you'll need to pay shipping unless you have a .EDU email account

I hope you can make sense of the Schematic within the PDF link. By looking at that and SEEING the Video of the Chip in action and a Closeup of the PCB upclose you should be able to make your own.

You can get all the Parts needed for this product to build your own with a little patients and ALOT of GOOGLE! LOL
If your not familiar with designing and building your own PCB's "Printed Circuit Boards" you can learn how to do so from YouTube or even www.Instructables.com
If you don't know what a Symbol means within the Schematic above do a quick search in google for Electronic Symbols.

Good Luck and have fun!