Is Olight M21 Warrior best weapon light for under $100?

southland

Newly Enlightened
Hello, new to this type of flashlight. Looking to get a nice flashlight to mount on an AR15 rifle. It has to be bright, more flood than throw, and most importantly has to use 18650 batteries. Have about decided on the Olight M21, can get one for $90 shipped. Also have read some bad things on this forum about the anodizing not being durable so I am not so sure about this light. My question is are there any lights better than this that are cheaper than $90?

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
I'll take my Surefire 6P 18650 with a drop in (Nailbender for me) over an Olight (Around $100 also on the MP). Modes are useless in a weapon light. On - Off, that's all I feel I need. 6P has good type II ano, and carries SF's great warranty.

I do like the Olight's mode switching interface, very efficient, and no recoil-tailcap-actuation.

gt_mule

Newly Enlightened
Are you using a protected 18650? Many here think that's tempting fate with possible recoil damage to the protection circuit.

IMO primary 123s are more suited for use on a weaponlight.

southland

Newly Enlightened
I'll take my Surefire 6P 18650 with a drop in (Nailbender

OK, all the Surefire 6P's I have seem use cr123 batteries, where can I buy one that uses 18650 batteries and what is the model number, and where can I buy the Nailbender and what is the model number. thanks

Are you using a protected 18650? Many here think that's tempting fate with possible recoil damage to the protection circuit.

The chances of that happening on an AR15 are about like your chance of being picked up by a UFO. Thats probably propaganda put out by companies that only make cr123 battery powered lights, and they make a ton of money selling those batteries.

Thanks for the input from both of you guys.

ParaShootist

Newly Enlightened
OK, all the Surefire 6P's I have seem use cr123 batteries, where can I buy one that uses 18650 batteries and what is the model number . . . .

I got my bored 6Ps from ElectronGuru ala Oveready.com. He has hard anodized P series hosts (currently out of stock) or you can buy bored bodies (and accessorize them - Oveready has many factory and custom SF parts). For weapon lights, I use Z48 tailcaps.

Malkoff drop-in light modules are the heat - I picked up some direct from Malkoff devices and recently an M60 from Oveready (which went right on my Mk18). It will be more than $100 but you'll be very happy (in addition to being able to amaze your friends).

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast

The chances of that happening on an AR15 are about like your chance of being picked up by a UFO. Thats probably propaganda put out by companies that only make cr123 battery powered lights, and they make a ton of money selling those batteries.

Thanks for the input from both of you guys.

I love a good conspiracy theory. I have many myself. Never thought about that one. Surefire does make a mint from those batteries.

NCT1

Newly Enlightened
I absolutely love my Olight M21 Warrior, and would recommend it. I would also recommend using 123 primaries.

PayBack

Enlightened
I think the Eagletac T20C2 MKII might be worth your conderation you can get the weapons kit along with it which includes RGB filters, pressure switch with tailcap and aluminum rail mount all for about the same price as the M21. Don't forget to use your CPF discounts.

http://illuminationgear.com/14322/26992.html

That's one I'm considering as I like the diffuser idea, which gives you quick switch from flood to more throw.

I also like the idea of two modes, one lower for long battery life, with the option to quickly switch to a higher mode if you need to see further or better.

southland

Newly Enlightened
Well I started looking for lights a couple of weeks ago for the AR15, purchased a UTG ZL337 when I didn't know anything about lights. It perked my interest after getting it so I did a little research. Ordered the Olight M21 for the AR15, Fenix TA21, Ultrafire 501b(cree Q5, 5 mode), Ultrafire 501b(cree r2), and an Ultrafire C3. Also bought 2 Ultrafire WF139 chargers and batteries. The only light I have received so far besides the UTG is the Ultrafire 501b with the Q5 and it is impressive for the money. Can't wait to get the Olight and Fenix. Decided on the Olight after watching this video.

Olight M20 Warrior Series - Distributed by Alpha Source Philippines

Last edited:

Casper507

Newly Enlightened
M30 with MCE is a little more floody and it has the side switch that gives immediate access to strobe from off. I have an offset mount with the lever on the side so you can slide it off the forearm rail to use by itself. A little vet wrap around the flashlight makes it tight in the mount so it doesn't rotate at all. I did have to trim a little off the mount to make it fit between the Ring and the head. Mine is a M20 and the only thing I would consider trading it for is a M21 with a M30 style switch.

shipwreck

Enlightened
I think the Eagletac T20C2 MKII might be worth your conderation you can get the weapons kit along with it which includes RGB filters, pressure switch with tailcap and aluminum rail mount all for about the same price as the M21. Don't forget to use your CPF discounts.

http://illuminationgear.com/14322/26992.html

Yes, I think this is the best weapon light. I have mine mounted... If you want their mount (I used scope rings) you can go that route. There is also a pressure switch if you want it.

As for talk about modes, I like the 60 lumen medium and the 300 lumen (OTF, the emitted is close to 400 lumens). 60 lumens is good enough for most usage, and it lasts 13 + hours. If you want the max, just twist the head.

I have a friend online that practices night shooting with his rifle. He stated that in some circumstances, using a lower lumen setting works better in seeing your target than using the higher setting. I forget his exact explanation, as he explained how his friend had a brighter light, but both preferred his that wasn't quite as bright...

Ps90-701.jpg

Mikellen

Enlightened
Well I started looking for lights a couple of weeks ago for the AR15, purchased a UTG ZL337 when I didn't know anything about lights. It perked my interest after getting it so I did a little research. Ordered the Olight M21 for the AR15, Fenix TA21, Ultrafire 501b(cree Q5, 5 mode), Ultrafire 501b(cree r2), and an Ultrafire C3. Also bought 2 Ultrafire WF139 chargers and batteries. The only light I have received so far besides the UTG is the Ultrafire 501b with the Q5 and it is impressive for the money. Can't wait to get the Olight and Fenix. Decided on the Olight after watching this video.

Olight M20 Warrior Series - Distributed by Alpha Source Philippines

Pretty impressive! :hitit:

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
Wouldn't a light with better throw vs. a wide spot and spill be a better weapon light for an AR? If so, look for something with an R2 emitter. How about a Olight M20(non R5) or a EagleTAC T20C2 first generation.

gilly

Enlightened
I have an M21 on my M-4 mounted in a Command Arms Accessories 1-inch universal flashlight foreend grip. I actually use my M-4 for SWAT - mainly clearing buildings - and the M21 with its powerful FLOOD works very well. Depends on what you need though - are you looking to illuminate targets at 100 yards + or using it for close quarters stuff like me?

I wouldn't worry about the anodizing - it seems plenty tough to me.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't put a $100 light on a $1000 rifle. Might as well shoot Wolf out of it too.

Get a Surefire. Or anything that doesn't say "Made in China".

victory

Enlightened
The best budget rifle light is without a doubt the the surefire G2L. You want more light? G2 or 6P with a malkoff drop in, and probably the L model at that. It's just the right amount of light, no microprocessors, and Surefire twisty caps are the most reliable switches out there by far.

Seriously, a lot of you guys are putting way too many lumens on your longarms. Indoors, in light painted or smallish rooms, you're just blinding yourself. Outdoors or in large open areas like a warehouse, bright white light just turns you into a bullet magnet and serves no purpose at distance.

southland

Newly Enlightened
UPS delivered the M21 Friday, its a nice well made light. More of a flood light than a spot which is what I wanted for close quarters.

Don't put a $100 light on a $1000 rifle.

S&W M&P 15's are going for $700 dealer cost minus $100 rebate right now = $600. Gun dealer owed me so I bought 4 at cost, sold 3 with a little profit and only have about $520 in mine with tax. Thats why I didn't want to put a $300 light on it.

When Surefire makes a light that takes 18650 batteries, I will buy one. How much would a 6P modded to take 18650 batteries and a Malkoff dropin cost?