thrunite xpg r5 and g2

runningcode3

Newly Enlightened
sorry for the newb question but i dropped it into my surefire g2 and the bezel wont screw all the way down....what should i do? i removed the outer spring but then the flashlight wont work

recDNA

Flashaholic
sorry for the newb question but i dropped it into my surefire g2 and the bezel wont screw all the way down....what should i do? i removed the outer spring but then the flashlight wont work

1. Try cutting spring in half.
2. Take off spring and wrap base of reflector in aluminum foil so foil makes connection between base of drop in and walls of flashlight body.
3. Copper foil is even better. It is sold at AC Moore or copper tape at a guitar shop.
* if g2 has plastic body the drop in may get too hot and burn out. Better in a 6P

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a bad combination. Even with the aluminum bezel the heat has nowhere to go and that drop-in (assuming the 1.5A version) will get very hot very fast. I was playing with a 1A Neoseikan drop-in recently in my G2 but without the bezel and it got uncomfortably hot after only about 15 seconds. 15 seconds! The 1.5A drop-in would be even hotter after probably 10 seconds because this drop-in has less overall mass than the Neoseikan drop-in does and it pushes out more current which means more heat. What little contact you are getting with an aluminum bezel will only transfer a tiny bit of that heat away from the drop-in so the end result will be an overheated drop-in very quickly.

On my G2 I'm running a drop-in that has a high and a low mode. The high mode only pushes 700mA and I don't turn it on for more than 30 seconds at a time or I use low mode. I'm thinking of changing the driver for one that will drive the LED at 500mA or less for this light.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I concur. A G2 is a poor host for this one. I have the same 1.5A dropin (single mode) in a 6P GM but it has an Mc2CS switch and I only use High for short periods. Bright as hell though.