XP-G KL1 @1.4A

Inliner

Newly Enlightened
Wanted to share this morning's mod. I took a KL1 which a PO had upgraded to a P4, gutted it, and installed an 5B tint/R4 bin XP-G that I had laying around. It's driven by a single level 4x7135 board. There was already a copper shim under the P4 which I decided to leave in place in hopes of doing away with the square beam. That didn't work, but no biggie. My proudest accomplishment with this is the copper washer that I soldered the board to and cut to fit in place of the old driver. So, here are some pics:

IMG_4132.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

IMG_4138.jpg

IMG_4142.jpg

1wrx7

Enlightened
I love the black KL1 heads. I've only been able to find one. If the square beam bothers you, try either an IMS20 reflector or an McR20 reflector. When I've used the McR in KL1's I've gotten a very nice beam. I had two of them that got EDC'ed for a couple of years. Now that I see this I might have to open one of them back up for a new upgrade:naughty:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice mod. I put a 4D R2 xp-e in my KL1 and the beam looks about like yours, but might have a tighter beam. The slight squareness doesn't bother me and it works great outdoors.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I love the black KL1 heads. I've only been able to find one. If the square beam bothers you, try either an IMS20 reflector or an McR20 reflector. When I've used the McR in KL1's I've gotten a very nice beam. I had two of them that got EDC'ed for a couple of years. Now that I see this I might have to open one of them back up for a new upgrade:naughty:
I recently posted here (including some beamshots) of my modded (a while back, before I got it - so I guess it's gotten a little outdated again) KL1 on 3xCR123 & 2xAA. It currently has a warmish Lux3 and an upgraded optic, but I entertain thoughts of replacing that with an XM-L and maybe a McR20 at some point...

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. How are you finding that tint? (post after tonight I guess).
I am completely satisfied with the xpg r4 5b I put in my high-output quark (3.0-9.0v). You've got more power so your beam will be even whiter in the near range. But outdoors amongst the grasses and trees that tint should really excel.

Inliner

Newly Enlightened
Well, I am not thrilled. The square beam is not really good for throw or flood. Plus it has an annoying ring at the edge of the beam. The Mcr20 reflector is $20! I think I would rather spend the money on a thick flat lens and try to fit a Ledil LXP optic into it.

I absolutely love the 5B tint. I have a 7B xp-g in a 6C Mag which I like also, but I should have gone with the 5B.