Olight M20s glow button change?

stevenlansing

Newly Enlightened
Hi,I'm new to the forum.

I just bought an Olight M20s R5 and I can't figure out how you switch out the black rubber switch cover for the white glow in the dark one.I thought that the switch striking bezel was removable to get access to the switch assembly,but it doesn't look like it comes off and I've tried with no luck trying to twist it off.

Does anybody know how to do this?

LowFlux

Enlightened
:welcome:

I don't own a M20, but most of the tailcaps I have are accessed through the inside of the battery tube. There is a screw-in washer that can be opened with a pair of needle nose pliers, once the ring is unscrewed the switch assembly comes out.

See selfbuilt's picture from his review, you can see the holes in the ring for the pliers.

stevenlansing

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

I don't own a M20, but most of the tailcaps I have are accessed through the inside of the battery tube. There is a screw-in washer that can be opened with a pair of needle nose pliers, once the ring is unscrewed the switch assembly comes out.

See selfbuilt's picture from his review, you can see the holes in the ring for the pliers.

So...you would just put the tips of the plier into those 2 holes and turn and it should just come out?Is it in there tight or does it twist out easily?I don't want to scratch or break it!

Thanks LowFlux

stevenlansing

Newly Enlightened
Well,getting the washer out was easy,unfortunately I could not get access to the button to switch out the rubber boot.It does not seem to me like this was meant to be done by the user with this particular model.I tried shaking it loose,but the switch assembly would not come out.I was going to try to pry one edge of the black plastic covering the assembly,but it involves putting pressure on the side switch PCB board and I didn't feel comfortable doing that at risk of damaging the whole thing.

Is there anybody with a M20s that has actually switched the black rubber button cover with the glow in the dark one?

By the way,does the aluminum washer get tightened all the way down or is there a certain point where you stop tightening it?

Last edited:

notsofast

Enlightened
So you have removed the retaining ring now grab the spring of the switch and pull on it and the switch will come out. Then you have a plastic retaining ring to remove (just like you did with the metal one) and the rubber comes out next.

stevenlansing

Newly Enlightened
I gave it a try and it took a little fidgeting with a tooth pick and pulling on the spring,which I thought was going to break,but it came out.

I hope switching out the OP with the smooth reflector isn't as involved.

Thanks guys

jcalvert

Enlightened
I gave it a try and it took a little fidgeting with a tooth pick and pulling on the spring,which I thought was going to break,but it came out.

I hope switching out the OP with the smooth reflector isn't as involved.

Thanks guys

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting your results for exchanging the switch boots. Before I pull the trigger on buying the M20S, if you don't mind replying, I have a few questions.

1) Is the PWM flicker worst on low and get better as you move to the higher levels?

2) Does the flicker bother you enough to consider exchanging it for the M20?

3) Does the flicker happen even when the light is stabile?

4) When the tailcap switch is activated first, does the side switch begin cycling on the strobe mode, or low mode first?

5) Have you used the smooth reflector yet? If yes, I am interested in how much more perceived throw (distance) you get, if any.

6) Upon white-wall testing, can you describe the beam quality, including if it has any issues such as a donut hole?

Thanks, Steve!

John

Last edited: