Hot Spot dark spots on deep reflectors

Tailcap

Newly Enlightened
ok, so I received my Quark Turbo today and when darkness fell, shot the very bright beam into the back yard 40-45' and soon noticed that despite the nice throw, there is a very noticeable dark center to the hot spot. Now I am reading that this is typical of most of the XPG R5 LEDs with a smooth deep reflector. I like the size and feel of the Quark, but I HATE the dark spot. I also ordered the 123-2 tactical and if I was looking for a light with great flood, it would be perfect, but the throw is just not bright enough for me. No annoying dark spot however. :)

Does anyone know of a light producing similiar lumens OTF as the Turbo that does not produce the dark center spot? I am hoping this is a factor of the reflector and not the new R5's.

Don't you just hate it when you are so close to having your perfect light and then there is that one problem. lol

Tailcap

Newly Enlightened
so I will bump my own thread here...I know someone has to be as upset about the dark center ring on the Quark Turbo hot spot. I guess what I'm really looking to find out is if there are any mods out there to correct it, or if there is any other brnad of light that has found a way to overcome the semi throwy light deep reflector dark spot? lol Now that is a mouth full.

I was looking at the Zebra SC60 last night and read a few threads on CPF about it, but couldn't find any beam shots etc..Anyone out there that can compare the Quark Turbo to the new Zebra SC60 for me?

Thanks for any help.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know what you meant. I have a turbo warm white and it too has the donut beam profile when doing white wall. Out in the field I don't see the donut profile so I am fine with it. If I am not wrong, I recall reading that the new Maelstrom G5 does not have a donut beam profile even though it is using XP-G and smooth reflector too. I think 4sevens had the reflector redesigned to improve the beam. And it is definitely brighter than Quark turbo.

Tailcap

Newly Enlightened
I am sitting here laughing a little to myself. Great minds must think alike :) About an hour after I posted this today, I read about every possbile review on the G5 and placed an order for one. When I talked to 7777, i asked the specific question of if the G5 uses a different reflector and they said yes and I should not see any dark area in the hot spot.

The bad: much bigger light to strap on the side
The good: beamshots looks great with no visible artifacts or dak rings, and let's face it, it's alot of light :)
The ugly: how to explain to the wife this is another necessary purchase of $130+

Thanks for the reply and tip. I hope I like the UI. I wish it had markings to ensure you are in the middle or the "stable" area of the head turn. I read if your not careful, it can bounce between modes if you're on the edge. Looks like they made some nice adjustments on what is included in the standard mode versus special mode from the original prototype based on CPF user reviews. lovecpf

I guess this will now force me to buy the Quark mini for in the pocket for the fishing trail pathway at night, but blinding my father-in-law with the g5 while I steal his fish should not be a problem lol.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope you have great fun with the Maelstrom. I had wanted to order one after I found out about the new change in the UI but a trip to my local dealer had tempted me enough to splurge on the Surefire M3LT. In a way, I am broke. No more budget for the G5.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dark spot in the middle is the reason I did not keep my turbo. I will not keep any light that does this. Im glad the G5 does not have this issue with the smooth reflector. Maybe at some point, they will address this with the turbo. Even better, 4sevens would make a turbo with a OP reflector option......

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at the Zebra SC60 last night and read a few threads on CPF about it, but couldn't find any beam shots etc..Anyone out there that can compare the Quark Turbo to the new Zebra SC60 for me?

Thanks for any help.

If you don't like the Quark 123 because of the floody beam, you will not want a Zebralight SC60. Floody. The Maelstrom G5 does have a bit of a donut hole but it is much less.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im out on the Maelstrom G5. When finances get better....... Malkoff Houndog here I come!

If you don't like the Quark 123 because of the floody beam, you will not want a Zebralight SC60. Floody. The Maelstrom G5 does have a bit of a donut hole but it is much less.

Tailcap

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Tre. After reading more about the SC60 I quickly realized it was a flood. Although, I have to say it is an interesting light. If I ever need a great flood only 4 inches long with 200+ lumen, that's it. I'll hold off for the CR123 version.

Somewhat sad to hear that the donut still exist from what you just told me. Glad you said it is much less though. Light should be here tomorrow or Friday, so I'll try to get some camera shots compared to the Turbo. I know they already exist, but everyone likes to see pictures right ? lol

KyHunter1 - Is that actually the model name of the Malkov? I'll have to check it out. Can't say I've looked at that one. Better than the G5???? Impossible....lol just kidding. I just like to make myself feel good about my decisions. :)

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. It is a single XPG R5 head, with a large deep OP reflector, with a flawless beam, and lots of throw. Works on a MD2, MD3, or MD4 body configuration. 325 OTF or more lumens. Hi/lo only by head twists, less modes than the G5. Rock solid bomb proof American made quality. It is a continuation of the Wildcat series. The price range is lower because of the single emmitter. Ive not got to play with one yet myself, but it has very good reviews around here.

KyHunter1 - Is that actually the model name of the Malkov? I'll have to check it out. Can't say I've looked at that one. Better than the G5???? Impossible....lol just kidding. I just like to make myself feel good about my decisions. :)

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
That dark spot in the middle of the hotspot is also known as the "Donut of Death" or "Dount of Darkness".

:shakehead

My Fenix LD10 R4 has it and it SUCKS!!!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
That dark spot in the middle of the hotspot is also known as the "Donut of Death" or "Dount of Darkness".

:shakehead

My Fenix LD10 R4 has it and it SUCKS!!!

"Donut of Death" or "Donut of Darkness" are used to denote a donut beam profile caused by a dying LED when it is overdriven. The LED itself would exhibit a black or brown spot, usually in the centre of the emitter, and which also would be projected onto the beam profile.

In the case of the OP, and myself included, the donut we see are caused by the smooth reflector not being able to collimate the light beam into a point when a bigger LED is being used, thus causing a donut shape to form on the beam profile.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can try EagleTac T20C2 MKII R5 with OP reflector. It throws at least as far as Quark Turbo and has not donut hole.