Should I be concerned?

MK9

Newly Enlightened
I really like the Fenix PD30 but the 2 year warranty bothers me.

Should I be concerned and get the Quark 123-2 for piece of mind or is the Fenix a quality unit that will last as long as my 10 year old maglite that is still ticking in full force?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Fenix makes a quality light that should easily last beyond the warranty. But, honestly, if you hang around here much you'll be trading it in on something brighter, smarter, and probably cheaper longer before that.

Geoff

Track Terror

Newly Enlightened
Why does it bother you. It should last a good long time but if it doesn't order a replacement when it happens. Or you could be like the rest of us and have multiple lights for multiple uses and not worry about a single light.

CPFBiology

Enlightened
In CPF fashion, buy both.

Fenix has been oustanding for me. I will buy another Fenix soon.

I also have a Surefire 6P. Jetbeam is good too.

Fenix
Jetbeam
Quark
Surefire
HDS

5 flashlights so you don't get left in the dark. Don't forget your glock and crowbar.

2q8mvkk.jpg

Last edited:

Larbo

Enlightened

Should I be concerned and get the Quark 123-2 for piece of mind or is the Fenix a quality unit that will last as long as my 10 year old maglite that is still ticking in full force?

I have both and consider them good torches.
Buy whatever light you like and dont worry too much about the warranty period, a good dealer will take care of you if you have trouble, btw your talking about lights in the 50-70 dollar range not hundreds.:whistle:
I doubt any of us will have the lights we have in 10 years ( more like 5 I would think), think how much brighter they will be then :).

cbxer55

Enlightened
I do not worry about, or even care about warranty periods. The only time I have ever had an issue with a light was a Surefire U2 that the original clickie freaked out on me. Surefire sent me a new one no questions asked, meanwhile I got the original working and am still using it, with a backup just in case.

Other than that I have never had an issue with a light, including Fenix.

nathan225

Newly Enlightened
I would not about that just get the you like best I have had fenixs and never had any problems with them and. I also have had several 4sevens light never had any problems with them eather

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

I have the PD30 and it's very well made. I honestly didn't pay attention to the warranty period when I bought it because I expected to receive a good product based on my previous experience with the Fenix P3D-CE. The PD30 has lived up to my expectations.
:thumbsup:

CampingMaster

Newly Enlightened
I would not about that just get the you like best I have had fenixs and never had any problems with them

I do have all three models of PD30's and my experience of quality and after sale service is as follows :

I have the PD30 Q5 since december 2008 -> excellent, no problem for the flashlight but I had to go to a shoemaker to replace the velcro only after few weeks... because the cheap stock velcro was'nt no more doing his job.

I have also the PD30 R2 since september 2009 -> received it defective, they change the head, the second head was full of artifacts, I sold it to a friend, I bought another one it was ok.

I have also the PD30 XP-G R4 since december 2009 -> after few months and only very few hours of uses a short-circuit happened in the head, it was smelling electrical short-cut. The dealer changed it for a SMOOTH REFLECTOR...

I had a very dark brown spot in the center of the throw and was not satisfied at all with that poor performance with the smooth reflector, this was not at all what I needed, I bought it because of the OP reflector, never I wanted a smooth reflector.

I don't need trhow with a dark chocolate donut in the center but a nice transition between throw and spill and this is what you are supposed to expect with XP-G R4 and R5 Cree LED.

The american dealer told me that this is the way PD30 R4 where made now by Fenix, there was no more Orange Peel reflector PD30 R4 available, there is nothing to do.

I writed to Fenix, they told me to send my head again to my dealer (USA), my dealer had to send my head to Fenix, Fenix told me my head was repaired and they will send it to a canadian dealer and this dealer will send me my head because Fenix can not send it direcly to me. WOW! this warranty is so much complicated and long.

And you know what ? I did'nt have my flashlight for 2½ months.

This is in abeyance of my PD30 R4 that I bought a Quark 123² XP-G R5 cool white - you can see on post # 9 on this thread what I found out:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3383992

Sorry for this negative post but this is my very own experience.

You can take a look here to :

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/286389

Sorry if my english is not perfect, my mother's tongue is french. This my first and only forum I am a member with, because I do love LED lamp torch because they are small and very powerful.

The Ultimate CampingMaster from Canada

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
For what it's worth, mine is the R4 model and it has a smooth reflector. There's a mildly dim spot in the center, not enough for me to call it a donut hole nor is it bad enough to be an issue for my use. Your mileage may vary of course.