Jetbeam RRT-0, 5 modes, 4 position selector ring, what crazy thinking is this?

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the Jetbeam RRT-0 torch has five levels of brightness, why not put a selector ring on it that has five positions?

Is Jetbeam trying to save money or what?

The whole idea to me of a selector ring is to make life easy for users.

Now you have to do fancy moves to unhide the lo lo mode.

Can someone please explain what the logic behind this lo lo setting is, or what I am missing in my thinking?

This is ridiculous, one giant leap backwards for flashaholics!!

Last edited:

yowzer

Enlightened
Re: Jetbeam RRT-0 selector ring 5 modes 4 position selector what crazy thinking is th

It is odd, but the 2 low modes are so close that I've forgotten which one I leave mine on. It doesn't really have a low-low mode.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Jetbeam RRT-0 selector ring 5 modes 4 position selector what crazy thinking is th

Ok yowzer,

I hear you, but then what you say makes the 5th mode even more frikkin stupid.

Why have a fifth gear in a car that you can't really find easily at times or tell that you are now in it?

Do these designers even test their products out or get some feedback from people outside of the design room?

Bloke

Newly Enlightened

The light is quite small. Do you think maybe the small diameter limits the amount of travel the control ring's mechanical system needs. There are spring loaded pegs that travel in and out of indents. Maybe there just wasn't enough room to have the ring turn that one click further to allow for a 5th position. :shrug:

The low setting doesn't look much different the the medium low level, so I have mine set for ultra low mode which gives me a nice jump up in brightness to the next level.
I find the 4 positions to be very well spaced when set like this :)

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok Bloke,

Maybe they are sqeezing a lot into a small area, I take your point.

I don't understand fully how the lo lo function is chosen and whether it is stored in its memory banks.

Please explain it to me if you can.

Last edited:

Bloke

Newly Enlightened

Ok Bloke,

I don't understand fully how the lo lo function is chosen and whether it is stored in its memory banks.

Please explain it to me if you can.
It's reeeeally simple.

Turn the ring all the way to the lowest setting.

turn it one click up and then straight back to the low position. this simple action swaps between low and low low.

And yes it stores this until you deliberately do the quick turn up and down to swap the modes.

Excellent feature.

So my RRT-0 is always set to low low -> medium low -> medium high -> high
This setup completely skips the (useless to me) normal low mode which I find to be not visibly much different to the medium low setting

low low = 3 lumens

Low = 15 lumens

Medium low = 50 lumens

Medium high = 150 lumens

High = 255 lumens

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks bloke,

It was not really clear before you explained it.

Job well done!!

Does the torch remember the chosen low setting after a battery change?

I have been looking at this torch as a replacement to my old Led Lenser M1.

The LL M1 only takes primary CR123s and is very expensive to keep up the batteries in Australia.

I tried RCR123s but the torch will not work with them.

I like the RRT-0 R5 that is out now but my dealer has sent a few back already.

I think it was a problem with them coming on or flashing occasionally by themselves.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes it does remember the low mode even after battery swap. I also much prefer the XR-E model over the new XP-G model because the the XR-E has better tint and no fear of the donut hole. The XR-E throws better and even thought the XP-G does have a bit more brighter spill it's not a huge difference.

Just something to think about if you have not yet ordered it.

Bloke

Newly Enlightened

Thanks bloke,

It was not really clear before you explained it.

Job well done!!

No worries :thumbsup:

I have been looking at this torch as a replacement to my old Led Lenser M1.

The LL M1 only takes primary CR123s and is very expensive to keep up the batteries in Australia.

I bought a dozen Titanium CR123's from a Victorian dealer for $3.50 each delivered.

My next box of CR123's will probably come from 4 sevens packaged with a light purchase. 50 pack for 79 bucks. Delivered.
That's only $1.58 each
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=53&products_id=1629

Bloke

Newly Enlightened
Actually I told a lie. The output figures I posted refer to the latest XP-G R5 model.

Mine is the last XR-E model and the output specs are

* High Mode 240 Lumens, 45 min
* Daily Mode 50 Lumens, 7.5 hours
* Mid Mode 25 Lumens, 12 hours
* Low Mode 10 Lumens, 20 hours
* Lower Low Mode 1 Lumen, 100 hours
Sorry about that.

GregWormald

Enlightened

My next box of CR123's will probably come from 4 sevens packaged with a light purchase. 50 pack for 79 bucks. Delivered.
That's only $1.58 each
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=53&products_id=1629

Nice thought--but it won't happen!!:oops:
Lithium batteries are not allowed in Australia Post, they won't even make it onto the plane.

Even my iPhone4 had to be shipped by courier because of the lithium battery.

Greg

Bloke

Newly Enlightened

Lithium batteries are not allowed in Australia Post, they won't even make it onto the plane.

Greg

Some of the other Aussie blokes buy their lithium batteries from OS :shrug:

Gaffle

Enlightened
Dunno if I would call this crazy. IMO, I think it is mega easy. At least with a control ring you don't have to count clicks to get into modes, begin programing, or get into special modes. Cycling through modes is fine with reverse clicky switches, but I am not into tightening bezels for one set of modes, and loosening bezels for another set of modes. I personally am not into any programable lights with instructions to ramp up/down output.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
The control ring UI is perfect for what I use it for, a helmet mounted light for cycling. Simply flick the ring to change settings instead of have to deal with trying to half clicks while the thing is up on my head. Works easier when wearing full finger gloves as well.

I'm not real thrilled with the spacing between the levels though (I have an older neutral white version). The low and medium modes really aren't significantly different from one another that one or the other would make the difference between being to get a task done or flubbing it. I use the high and max modes pretty much exclusively as a result.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

Greg
There actually is no problem buying cells from the US. I buy Cr123s from 4sevens by the 50 and have never had a problem - you just can't ship them by air within Australia or ship them from Australia Internationally.

James...

Bloke

Newly Enlightened

There actually is no problem buying cells from the US. I buy Cr123s from 4sevens by the 50 and have never had a problem - you just can't ship them by air within Australia or ship them from Australia Internationally.

James...

Thanks for that info James :thumbsup:

edit: How do you like the 4 sevens CR123's ?
I currently use titaniums and have found them to be very consitant

Last edited:

Dan FO

Enlightened

I love the selector ring, it works perfectly. I leave mine set fot thee low/low mode for my first level. The levels on the latest R5 are evenly spaced and just right for me.

http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/rrt0.html