Cree R5 or Cree Q3-5A (warm)

andy7046

Newly Enlightened
I am interested in the JetBeam RRT-0 light, but am having a hard time deciding between the R5 or Q3-5A options; http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/rrt0.html

My current EDC lights are the following:
-Nitecore EX10 R2 (great light, small size with good brightness)
-ZebraLight SC50+ (to be honest i'm disappointed in this light, although claimed to be brighter my ex10 outshines this even with fully charged 14500)
-ZebraLight H51 (great headlight, very happy with this light)
-ZebraLight H501w (another great light, it could use more brightness for those times when searching with the lights on, but is a great task light when the area is dark)

Although i don't "need" another light, this site keeps me searching and eager to try another. With that said, my interest is rising with the RRT-0: 255 lumens with the flexibility of 14500s, Cr123s and standard AAs. Should i purchase the R5 or the Q3-5A? Would the Q3-5A output as many lumens as the R5? How would either compare to my EX10 with the R2?

thanks

lovecpf

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would the Q3-5A output as many lumens as the R5?
Of course not - it would be much less bright. Q3 means that emitter outputs 93-100lm at 350mA, R5 is 139-148lm@350mA. R5 is 50% brighter than 3A.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the R5 will be a lot brighter.. The Q3 should throw further though. I'd wait it out for an R4 neutral tint XP-G version if I were you, then you only take roughly an 8% output hit and get the great neutral tint light.

On second thoughts, just get yourself a neutral white Quark Mini AA, run it on 14500's and you get 300lumens OTF of nw goodness! :thumbsup:

Tally-ho

Banned
As it seems you're concerned about brighteness only and you don't care at all about beam quality or LED tint, R5 version is best for you.
But one of these day, you shall try a 5A or 5C tint, the best compromise for indoor and outdoor activities...and later, have a try to high CRI.

An HDS Ra clicky high CRI is not that much more expensive compared to the RRT0 :devil:

Last edited:

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both a XPG R5 [guessing a 1 series tint, cool white] and the Q3 5A.

The R5 [P60 drop-in] is tops for outside. It has a wide beam vs. a XRE emitter, throws plenty of light out to probably 200'.

I have two Q3 5A based lights one a P60 the other in a M@G. Much less output but I don't mind. The P60 is DD w/ a 10 ohm resistor used just for inside. It has a very pleasing color and is "just right" for dark corners and nighttime calls to nature. The M@G Q3 OTOH may not have as much output as the XPG but it can still throw easily past 100 yds. I'm using a single speed 1A driver so the Q3 is pretty well at max output.

IMO both emitters have their place entirely dependent on your requirements. If I had to choose only one..... I'd opt for a XRE-R2 3C tint identical to the emitters in the LF SP-6 I use at work. Great throw, good useful spill, and a beautiful cream/white tint. [total cop-out I know].

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course not - it would be much less bright. Q3 means that emitter outputs 93-100lm at 350mA, R5 is 139-148lm@350mA. R5 is 50% brighter than 3A.

Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner. R5 is a more efficient bin. It will of corse have more lumens given the same driver (same amount of current). This has nothing to do with throw. I see so many people here using efficiency bin codes to refer to a specific emitter, amount of throw, or tint. This is all not correct. I'm glad to see phantom23 got it right.

Tally-ho

Banned
I see so many people here using efficiency bin codes to refer to a specific emitter, amount of throw, or tint. This is all not correct. I'm glad to see phantom23 got it right.
RedForest UK said so probably because the RRT-0 XR-E(.Q3 bin) is supposed to throw better than an XP-G(.R5 bin), both with the same reflector.
OK, it would have been better to give the LED type but it is not because he omitted to give it that it means he is completely wrong, even if it is a little bit more complicated to follow his mind.
My 2 cts.

Last edited:

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
RedForest UK said so probably because the RRT-0 XR-E(Q3) is supposed to throw better than an XP-G(R5), both with the same reflector.
OK, it will be better to give the LED type but it is not because he omitted to give it that it means he is completely wrong, even if it is a little bit more complicated to follow his mind.
My 2 cts.

Ha ha yeah, that is what I was thinking, I've gone in to it so many times I couldn't really be bothered to again and just referred to the two versions in this particular light. Sorry about my mind being so complicated! ;)