Have 6P, need drop in to penetrate water..

Zmonster

Newly Enlightened
Noob here looking for some advice.

I was searching the net in hopes that I could find a inexpensive replacement bulb for my Surefire 6P which just burned out, and I came across this great site. My wife doesn't think it's so great, cause I think I just found another hobby
:whistle:lovecpf

I have at my disposal two Surefire 6P's and a old plastic Brinkmans of some sort with a Surefire bulb. I think I purchased it a few years ago, and it has been on two tours in the sand box, and is holding up pretty well.

What I'm looking for is a bulb I can drop in and use to penetrate water at night while bowfishing. I may mount this light to my bow via a custom stabilizer mount I made. I'm intrigued by Malkoffs offerings, but there are so many options, that my head is spinning. Do I just purchase one of these drop ins and that's it? Or do I need other items to make everything work? Would I need a special filter for water? Is the W drop ins better for outdoors and Why?

Sorry for all the noob questions. I've read through the search functions and I'm pretty lost at all the candle power lingo.:confused:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For penetrating water, i would put in another incan module. I love to freedive and spearfishing, and to my eyes the incan seems to have a edge over the leds in the water. I dont know why, but i think it has someting to do with wavelenght. (the deeper you dive, the more coulors fades away. red is the last coulor to fade. My theory is that the red coulors from the sun penetrates better because of longer wavelenght. purple/bluish colours is the first one to fade away)
If you want a led, buy a warm/neutral version.

I used my neutral moddoo triple drop-in at my last fishing trip. When night arrived, it got fun. When i turned on the triple, i could see lots of fish swimming past my feet. I did also hear a faint "oh my god" from the other side of the lake :sssh: (non flashoholics dont wade at night) My friend that had borrowed my fenix tk11 couldent see anything, so he dropped the tk11 and stood next to me instead. I think the moddo triple would be kickass for bow hunting fish. It got decent throw and a huuuge hotspot, so you dont need to track the fish with a tiny hotspot. You just see everything in front of you, and you see the bottom 10-15 meters in front of you when wading. Pretty cool toy for spotting fish, but its a expensive one.

Last edited:

Zmonster

Newly Enlightened
Jorn,

Thanks for the reply. That Moddoo Triple is sick, but a little out of my range. I see what your saying about going with a incan mod. Do you have any ideas recommendations for something in the $70 or below range? The TNVC bulb looks to be a real good deal, but I dont know how well it would hold up.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
When i spearfish i got a throwy incan strapped on my gun arm, it is good when i want to spot fish in the deep from the surface, and it lights up where i point my gun. I also have a floody headlamp with 3 luxon leds for when i get in range. (i got 5 meter reach on my gun) Tracking the fish at close range 2-3 meters with the incan alone is hopeless. Fish dissaper in the second you want to aim in front of it,and its generally hard to track at close range with a too small hotspot.

I think that a malkoff m61w would be a very good drop in for the task. Since its for bow hunting (fish), i bet that you dont want a tiny, intense ,throwy hotspot. I dont think you shoot fish at 20 m range, so a intense thrower at close range would be like searcing for fish trough a key hole. The warm bigger hotspot of the m61w might be a good combination of the reach and flood that i think you need.
Nailbender also has some fine modules according to cpf users. A neutral sst50/sst90 might also have the combination of a big hotspot and desent reach.

How deep/faar do you need to see? Are you wading, hunting for fish? or do you stay put and wait for the fish to come to you? Sounds like fun :sssh:

Zmonster

Newly Enlightened
Im leaning towards the 61W, but I think Im going to need the extended battery life, so Im considering the 61WL. All my bow fishing will be done from a canoe or the peer. Im thinking my max shot will be 15 yards. I wondering if the 61WLL would provide enough lum.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the 61w, and read up on rechargable lithium ions in the battery forum, have 2 17670's on hand while you're fishing and you'll never worry about runtimes again.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
You said penetrate - hahah:duh2:

Anyway, I don't know anything about trying to penetrate water but Thrunite makes a 300 lumen XP-G droping that is around $30.
They also have a near 500 lumen dropin that comes in different flavors:
2.7-9v single stage
2.7-4.2 multilevel
and 4.2-9v multilevel.
Also, check out Malkoff and Nailbender

Zmonster

Newly Enlightened
haha you said droping:huh:

I dont think Im ready to go to the rechargeable yet. Plus, I got a nice supply of SF CR123's I can burn through. Im trying to keep cost down the best I can right now. I plan on night fishing only once in a while, so its not going to be a constant thing. I got on the notification for the 61WL just in case, but I'm still considering the 61WLL. I just haven't heard much about it yet.