SL TL-2L to use up CR123's?

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
SL TL-2L to use up CR123\'s?

My Surefire E2 stoped working when my batteries reached 2.7volts each. So I want to know if I can use these batts in a StreamLight TL-2 LED. (or any other CR123 fired LED light). Will the LED allow me to run these batteries down to a much lower (completely drained) voltage? --Thanks

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SL TL-2L to use up CR123\'s? Yes they can!

Ok, took me a couple days to get everything together to check this out.

I have a E1e that was modified by dspeck to run an Opelec module in it. I had planned to use this to finish off 123A's that were too low to power my E2. Seemed like a perfect plan, and it does make for a very nice little work light with longer runtime and lighter weight than a E1/KL1 combo, even if it doesn' put out as much light.

I dug through my box of batteries to be tested/thrown away, and found two 123As that would not light my E2. Tried them in my green L1; very faint green glow. Put them in the E1e w/ Opalec, and they barely lit the red 'dead battery' light; no light from the white leds.

So then I put them in my TL2-led. Out pops a nice beam of light, about as bright as the Opalec on fresh batteries, but very focused and will throw across the room with no problem. The beam very much reminds me of the light from a PT Impact or a Dorcy Cool Blue (but much wider a beam than the Dorcy makes).

I was expecting some light, but not this much. I have no idea how long it would run on them, but I ran it for roughly 5 minutes without any really noticable drop in brightness. I am now completly sold on my TL2-LED!

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder what would have happened of you tried this in a TL-1

llvo

Enlightened

TL-2 LED looks good. The more I see something positive about it, the more I want to go and buy right now.

However, one last question stops me from purchasing it. How long can TL-2 LED run before the brightness drops significantly? I don't trust advertised runtime.
Can it last more than 2 hours? or even better 3 hours?

anybody relieve me from this mind struggle?

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

llvo,

I have been running mine on the same set of batteries that came with it when I got it in late July. I don't use it everyday and I generally alternate it with my green L1 as my 'big' EDC. Have run it 3 or 4 times for 25-30 minutes at a stretch while working on something outside and the light is still quite bright and will throw 30-40 yards outside at night with no problem.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

that is pretty good throw.

do you also find that it has nice spill?

Bob

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

The TL-2, and 3 have the most side spill of ANY lights I own (a bunch).

llvo

Enlightened

A LED for medium range application with over 2 hours runtime - that's a good news!
Thanks, revolvergeek.

I went to the shop yesterday but all TL LEDs were out of stock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif