Surfire 6p lamp assembly

rwasham

Newly Enlightened
I just recieved a somewhat misrepresented 6p from ebay today. The seller had advertised it as the Led version with led version pics to go along. It turned out to be the incandescent version. Im not gonna return it unless a led upgrade wont fit in it, as I got a pretty good deal on it. So my question, as Im sure you can already guess, is going to be can I stick a led p60/p61 style dropin into a 6p body that was originally incandescent ? Thanks in advance!
Ryan

jellydonut

Enlightened
Yes, you can.

I recommend getting something from Nailbender right here on CPF if you're in the market.:party:

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there, I see you are new, I'd suggest reading the following thread bout P60 drop-ins:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/217252

Many people will tell you to get a Malkoff drop-in (including me), great quality, service and made here in the US.

You can go the custom route and check out Nailbender's threads over at the Custom B/S/T forum. If you dream it, I'm sure he can make it.

Another alternative are the Lumens Factory, Solarforce and ThruNite XP-G drop-ins. The Solarforce ones are great for the price. Lumens Factory ones are bright and the Thru-Nite is pretty impressive.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also get some good deals on Surefire P60L dropins at the moment if you look around.

-Trevor

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also get some good deals on Surefire P60L dropins at the moment if you look around.

-Trevor

Yes, I think I've seen some a little under $30, and Gene Malkoff has a few disco'd drop-ins at about that price. Depending on what you paid, you could come out just fine with something like those.

nathan225

Newly Enlightened
there many p60 drop ins that will fit. some that are very bright. I plan to get one for my 6p at some point

rwasham

Newly Enlightened
What sort of voltage do I need to look for in a drop-in......I guess it would depend on my battery right? Any thoughts or comments? Thanks!
Ryan

jellydonut

Enlightened
The 6P runs on two CR123s as standard, 6V

If you're going to be running two RCR123s you need to watch out as you suddenly have 4.2+4.2=8.4V and many dropins can only do 6V.

If you use a 17670 battery you only have 4.2V max - usually wouldn't be an issue with dropins but some might want higher voltages for some reason.

Basically: Most P60 dropins are meant for the 2xCR123 form factor, which is what you have. You mostly only run into issues if you're running a single cell light, a triple or four cell light, or exotic battery configurations.

Gene Malkoffs dropins will go up to 9V, and Nailbender makes a variety of dropins at a variety of voltages, however his highest power ones only do 6V (so can't use two li-ions). If you decide to buy from Nailbender you can just tell him your flashlight and battery configuration and he'll tell you if the dropin you want will work or not.:)