D size rechargeable batteries?

roddy

Newly Enlightened
Are D sized eneloops the best at retaining thier power for a long period of time and do they preform well for high drain?
I have a battery operated bbq rotisserie that takes D cells and would like to find rechargeable batteries that will preform best. Any reccomendations?

roddy

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rechargeable D size batteries can be expensive.

Depending on where you use it, you might consider adapting it to run off a cheap wall-wart power adapter and an extension cable...

roddy

Newly Enlightened
I have a rotisserie that works with 112v already but recently purchased a model that take two D cells to eliminate the extension cord. I'd also like to entertain the thought of taking this more portable version canoe tripping as a 'luxury item', but need reliable power. I'd like to find the most suitable option for rechargeable D cells.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some options for batteries:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/dnireba.html
http://www.zbattery.com/Batteries/D-Cells_2

And options for chargers:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/unchse.html
http://www.zbattery.com/Chargers/AA-AAA-C-D-9V

If the rotisserie needs to run for a longish time then the higher capacity batteries of about 10,000 mAh as indicated above would perhaps be most suitable. The AccuEvolution are low self-discharge, like Eneloops.

However, with these large capacity D cells you typically need a high capacity charger. Look for one that charges in about 5 hours, since many chargers are designed mainly for AA cells and will take 12 hours or more to charge high capacity D cells.

All told, it may be that D size alkaline cells are cheaper...

(I can't tell you which batteries work best as I have never needed to buy any D size. Others may chime in with info about batteries they have owned and used.)

Last edited:

roddy

Newly Enlightened
I've looked into some options and I'm thinking the Accupower cells might be a better option for me. I'll try to find out how they compare to an eneloop before the task of trying to find a Canadian distributor, or someone that will ship to Canada for a reasonbable price.
I own a MAHA C808M charger, and will probably purchase a Pila IBC one of these days when I get more educated about and start to play with Li-ion. I'm guessing either of these chargers would be suitable?
Thanks for the help bro!

roddy

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi roddy. Just a thought. How close are the cells to the fire? If they will be getting hot, this is a sure way to kill your rechargeable cells. On the other hand, alkaline cells will probably work better when they get hot! Then of course, you throw them away, or recycle or whatever. Just thinking maybe the designer had this in mind.

Dave

roddy

Newly Enlightened
If a rechargable cell gets warm will this do damage or just drain it really quick?
The bbq rotisserie I use at home doesn't get anywhere close to hot. I don't think excessive heat will be much of an issue in the outdoors either but I'll shield the unit/batteries well as a precaution just to be sure.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think heat degrades the discharge performance of any type of cell, in most cases, it actually improves it. The R/C guys like to charge their battery packs at a high rate, just before use (as in racing) so as to heat up the cells and gain an additional performance edge. If a cell or battery gets too hot however, it can break down the chemical compositions within, and cause permanent degradation.

It was just a thought. All of my campfire rotisserizing involved the "manual" method.:)

Dave