Stanley Performance LED Aluminum Flashlight 3D review

carrot

Flashaholic
(review for consideration to be added to the reviews sub-forum)
Reviewer's note: Special thanks to Stanley for donating this light for review and sponsoring FCW-6.

DSC01544-300x168.jpg

(More photos, plus hi-res versions at gearcarrot.com)

The Stanley Performance LED Aluminum Flashlight 3D (aka #95-153 or the Stanley 3 D Alkaline Aluminum Flashlight) is quite the workhorse. Stanley is not exactly known for their flashlights but recently they have stepped up their game, introducing some excellent products into their lineup such as the Stanley HID spotlight (at $70, currently one of the best lumens-to-cost ratio ever) and the mini Stanley LED spotlight. The Stanley 95-153 is no slouch either, providing plenty of light and plenty of runtime in a solid flashlight with upgrade potential.

It is rated at 70 lumens, and with three D cells it should run for a very, very long time. Stanley rates the runtime at 60 hours, which I have no trouble believing. A rubber ring around the head prevents the 95-153 from rolling around when you set it down and the heavy aluminum construction ensures that it will take a good beating, accidental or otherwise.

A smooth reflector gives the 95-153 excellent throw, making it a good flashlight to keep around the house to light up the yard, and paired with the excellent runtime, makes an excellent car camping light as well. It is also an excellent choice for those who need a relatively inexpensive, but bright and long running work light when portability is a necessity. Unfortunately the smooth reflector paired with the Cree XR-E creates a fairly ringed beam, which is quite noticeable on a white wall but quite easy to overlook when real work is being done.

The 95-153 is quite well-made and has o-rings for water resistance on the threaded parts. It is solidly built and has a good amount of knurling on the body to give it an effective non-slip grip. It also has some very attractive yellow rings around its diameter, giving it a distinct look and making it easier to find when it is stowed away.

A bonus for flashlight aficionados: the LED is easily accessible and should be a piece of cake to swap for the flavor of the day. This makes the Stanley 3D an interesting platform to be modded and also adds value to an already affordably priced light.

Not everyone will find a large, heavy 3 D-cell light appealing, but for those who refuse to compromise on runtime and output, the Stanley 3D has its place.

Recommended, if you have huge pockets, or need an affordable workhorse.

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surprised they didn't choose to squeeze more light out of an XP-E, but often runtime is more important than brightness. I don't know if I'll be running out to buy one any time soon but I'm sure fans of the D-Cell light will be happy about this since there are so few lights that use this format.