Burn time options

NGK-Tom Walker

Newly Enlightened
I own several Surefire,Streamlight and other flashlights but don't seem to get the burn time I really need from them none last a entire duty shift on a busy night. Currently I carry a Streamlight 20XL with a Surefire 8NX as a backup light since neither will last long enough. Any suggestions on a bright light that will last longer?
icon3.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by NGK-Tom Walker:
I own several Surefire,Streamlight and other flashlights but don't seem to get the burn time I really need from them none last a entire duty shift on a busy night. Currently I carry a Streamlight 20XL with a Surefire 8NX as a backup light since neither will last long enough. Any suggestions on a bright light that will last longer?
icon3.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Tom,

My understanding is that Surefire nonrechargeables were designed as tactical lights, not duty lights, and could not be expected to provide bright light for extended periods.

Many rechargeables are designed to fit vehicle-mounted charging cradles, but I'm not aware of any flashlight-size light that will last an entire shift, unless it is used extremely sparingly. There are lantern configured lights that will provide a long burn but they are hardly appropriate for normal use.

LED lights, while providing a broad field of illumination do not usually have the brightness necessary for a primary light. However, one of our officer-"modders" (modifies existing lights) has created a LED light (the "LGI") which he uses professionally. Some of us have purchased this light and it is extraordinarily bright for a LED. However, it may still not give you the extended burn time that you need. His CPF name is "Mr. Bulk", and he is an LEO in Hawaii.

Tom, you have run up against the technical limitations of the current state of the art of portable lighting. As Roy quoted above: "Brightness times time equals weight". Until lamps (bulbs) become much more efficient and/or batteries much more powerful, your current predicament will not be resolved by a single light.

OTOH, no LEO should carry only one light anyway. Back-up is a valid principle for lights as well as force options.

I suspect the best answer to your initial question is the solution that you have arrived at,
though a different selection of lights may work better for you. You also have the option of carrying an additional battery pack. But, to my knowledge there is no light sized for practical carry that will give you much more than approx 90 minutes of functional light. It's worth remembering that rechargeables usually have a flatter discharge curve than non rechargeables (longer BRIGHT runtime)

There may be some other options that I'm not aware of. Hopefully, other "Flashaholics" will weigh in on this issue.

Regards,
Brightnorm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like you are away from the charger of both lights for the duration of the shift. You will need a smaller, longer burning general purpose light for mundane chores.

The Printon Tec Surge lasts about 4 hours constant on and will fit in the asp pocket of a uniform trouser. Use it with rechargeable NiMH batteries.

You will likely still carry the SL-20 and 8NX. Save their usage for when necessary. A backup battery for the 8NX would be prudent as well.

There is another accessory that will alternately turn the SL light on and off in the form of a fast pulse. This "bolt-on" accessory should make the burntime last a lot longer. I cannot find the details or the link for that product. Perhaps someone else has the info.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
How much run time do you need? 8 hours? How bright do you need?

As someone in another of the forums is fond of saying, "Brightness times Time equals Weight"!

There are some LED lights out there that get to 8 hours of constant brightness but they are not all that bright and are really only good for close-in work. Sure Fire has a new LED conversion (KL-3) that will give a reported 6.5 hours of bright constant light on 9v 9(3x123 battery).