Tritium-re installed

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I searched and found some info on re installing trits,but nobody had actually posted that they did it succesfully.

So the Nitecore D10 is the subject.I had originally got this with the milled piston when they came out.I had never intalled my own trit.I did some reading and got some Devcon 2 part clear epoxy,and the process went well and I thought it looked good. Placement was centered,great, over a year or so it looked less clear.

So I decided to reinstall my white trit. I planed to use Norland 61. First let me tell you, if some says devcon is just as good as norland ,they have not seen or properly used Norland IMO. The Norland is crystal clear and wont cure until you expose it to UV light(sunshine)Gives you plenty of time to center and remove any air bubbles(I had no bubbles).

I had read the you could soften either epoxy in boiling water,this raised some concerns of pressure/temp cracking the glass trit vial etc. I boiled a pan of water and put the piston in for 15 to 30 seconds at a time ,(I did put the pan back to boilapprox 6 times) I had no problems.(no gaurentee from me,just my experience) I used many wooden tooth picks so I would not damage the glass vail.This worked very well,15-30 sec soak then tooth pick to scrape away the softened epoxy. I repeated this process for 30 to 40 min. I was ble to remove 2/3 of the old devcon epoxy. At this point I saw no problem with putting the trit in boiling water. Progress was getting much slower. I stopped as 2/3 of the epoxy was removed and trit was mostly exposed.

Application of Norland 61

So I let it dry thoughly and I dipped a metal Pick(like dental pick but made by stanley tools) into the norland and spread it evenly, it only took 2 dips to completely fill the milled slot.A very small amount really. A bit spilled over and I wiped it away with q tip and alchol prep pad. Most was removed using this method.
Once I was satisfied, I placed the light in the window with sunlight to cure.I did place a clear glass over it to prevent and dust/dog hair settling on it as it cured.This was probably not needed but why not.

Once cured it was crystal clear!!!:D Much better than devcon.

The next day,
I took some metal polish on a q tip and polised the end,not only to shine it but it removed any norland epoxy!
Overall it was easy,it just takes a bit of time and patience,but the result were impressive.I will never install a trit without using Norland 61.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

toughCookie

Newly Enlightened
good idea regarding the glass jar to prevent any dust specks or hair landing on the norland :twothumbs